Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions (UPDATE - Remastered & Expanded CD & Vinyl Releases 16th September 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigDanT, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Definitely

bobcat likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Well its never sounded great on the circulated versions before, but the last version I heard passed around was definitely listenable, moreso than some of the early Beatles BBC cuts. Hoping this will be listenable in the USA soon so we can compare it to what's already available, see if Page was able to make it slightly better. But recorded from 60s mono radio at home will never sound amazing.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

the old youtube upload of S W is just fine to listen to.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Yeah I see the article mentioned it was recorded from the radio, wasn't sure if that was a joke or not.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

From today's Wall Street Journal:

Listen to Led Zeppelin’s Lost ‘Sunshine Woman’ (Exclusive)

The song comes from the band's upcoming 'The Complete BBC Sessions'

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: RON RAFAELLI
    By
    MIKE AYERS
    Aug 25, 2016 11:00 am ET

Led Zeppelin‘s 1997 collection “BBC Sessions” is getting an expanded re-release next month. The set will now include a third disc of eight previously unreleased tracks. The Zeppelin original “Sunshine Woman,” which was never known to be recorded for a studio release, is one of the featured songs and premieres below on Speakeasy today.

MORE IN ON THE RECORD
    “Sunshine Woman” was recorded on March 16, 1969, in London and aired April 14 on the BBC World Service. According to the label, Atlantic, the original BBC tapes were lost, but a private recording surfaced in the late 1990s. Fans have known about the song and heard it in varying qualities over the years, but until now, it’s never been properly released.

The other previously unreleased songs featured on “The Complete BBC Sessions” include two new versions of “Communication Breakdown,” “You Shook Me” and “Dazed and Confused.” Jimmy Pageoversaw the remastering process of the re-release. Multiple configurations are available, too, including a super deluxe box set that includes the album on three CDs and five LPs, and a 44-page book containing detailed information on the BBC sessions.

“The Complete BBC Sessions” arrives Sept. 16.

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Sounds good to me. I've never heard this before. I'm used to Beatles BBC recordings, so the sound quality is as expected. I'm looking forward to this set.

9. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Funnily enough I picked up the old version of this CD the other day for 30p.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I don't remember hearing "Sunshine Woman" before - regardless of sound quality, it's a pretty good song! Enjoyable performance.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Nice to Sunshine Woman officially released. The sound quality is similar to the underground recording that has been available for years. Because the BBC Sessions release already contains some less-than-desirable sounding recordings, Sunshine Woman won't stand out too much. A cool track nevertheless. With Sunshine Woman getting an official release, JP has left very little in the archives as far as unreleased songs go -- Swan Song being the obvious song still needing a proper release.

snkcube, mattright and tmtomh like this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It is indeed a recording of a radio broadcast, and an AM one at that. So it's never going to sound great. I'm in a noisy room at work now, but I've grabbed the soundcloud mp3 and will be very interested to hear how this sounds.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The youtube clip I mentioned has now been blocked. It sounded better than the official clip.

Clanceman likes this.
  14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

UPC code for 3 cd set

16. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Wow......they saw you coming......:laugh:

17. Tenor Audio Fan

Tenor Audio Fan Forum Resident

About the new version of Sunshine Woman...

Same digital transfer than (taken from) The Complete British Broadcasting Corporation Sessions bootleg (they both sync in a multitrack session) ; dramatic EQ changes / DR value 8 for both versions (minus 0.03 for the new release) ; let's say untouched.

No music above 6k in both versions (AM recording) ; but noise above 6k has been removed on the new version.

Very interesting.

Here are the EQ changes that we need to apply to the bootleg version in order to get to the new release:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    letmerollit, cmi, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I will say that by Jimmy Page releasing Sunshine Woman and the BBC concert as the bonus disc with LZ I offers some glimmer of hope that we may see some official soundboard releases at some point in the future.

But I'm not holding my breath.

qtrules likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hard to see soundboard releases coming out; can't see Plant, JPJ, Bonham estate, and JP all agreeing to release mostly dry, sterile soundboards of entire concerts that expose all sorts of performance deficiencies that cannot be fixed. Earls Court on the other hand, that could conceivably happen.

qtrules, footlooseman and eddiel like this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

back online

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For some reason I can't get The Guardian, Pitchfork or WSJ embedded SoundCloud app to work for me either, even after disabling uBlock Origin. Try this instead: Led Zeppelin »

ledsox likes this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Someone up-thread commented on the fact that now the set with include (5) Communication Breakdown tracks.

In my collection, I retained the promotional sampler from the 1997 set and lo and behold- all (3) takes from that set made it to the sampler.

I suppose C B can be considered the bands signature live track.

[​IMG]

hi_watt, tmtomh and JasonA like this.
  23. cmi

cmi Forum Resident

Don't you see that this sampler is a straight copy of commercial CD#1 ???

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Duly noted.:tiphat:

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

That's really disappointing. I'm hoping they just used the bootleg digital source for the SoundCloud clip and that the real thing will be from a better source :sigh: