Soundgarden - Louder Than Love and Down on the Upside Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Yes confirmed, Soundgarden's FB page confirmed it a few weeks before the release.

If you want Superunknown AAA, keep a watch for the 2004 German 2LP release mastered by Willem Makkee. To the best of my knowledge the original vinyl is CD sourced, the 20th anniversary vinyl is 24/192 digitally mastered and to my ears quite hot and the 2004 German is AAA and from all accounts is magnificent. I hope to snag one some day.

2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat regarding repeat listening value...BUT there would have been PLENTY of repeat value for me if the 5.1 mix had been done properly. It's pretty awful, I have 100+ surround titles and Superknown is easily worst 5. Adam Kasper might have some surround concert mixing under his belt but he has no idea how to mix surround studio music. Bob Clearmountain or Elliot Scheiner would have made this record sound wonderful. The 5.1 mix at least retained the full dynamics of the original '94 mastering but the mix was just rubbish. Most main vocals were directly copied into the surround channels, it's the most bizarre thing!

cement_head likes this.
  3. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

Yip, the original vinyl is the same as the CD, I've never heard it but by all accounts it is pretty rubbish. (I am not saying the original CD sounds rubbish, it is what it is, I am saying that the original LP doesn't offer any improvement over it) Doesn't sound that great in general and has sibilance issues, inner groove distortion.
    Yes, you are quite right, the version of this album to get, if you can get your hands on it, is the 2004 German. I believe it has '320' in the deadwax and is the only version of this album that is 100% all analogue.

dobyblue likes this.
  4. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Well, that's a LOT better price than I paid ($54) and it's pressed at AcousticSounds: Soundgarden-Superunknown-200 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds ยป

5. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Apparently, the only decent version (as @dolbyblue mentioned above) of SU on vinyl was this one: https://www.discogs.com/Soundgarden-Superunknown/release/3587384

But, very hard to find and the last one I saw was going for $399

6. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster. Very interested to hear how the DOTUS reissue sounds from anyone who pre-ordered. Great album.

I read someone mention a possible remaster of Ultramega OK. I had the original pressing, which was totally fine, the raw sound suits the material. Apparently the name of the album came about due to the mediocre production, but I'm surprised they would bother this far down the line, it wasn't a particularly successful album and people probably like it how it is....no?

RE: Superunknown 320 Vinyl. A word of advice - the cover looks exactly the same as the original '94 Euro pressing, but with a lighter gauge board for the cover. There is nothing to indicate it's the 2004 German reissue except in the deadwax. You can bet many owners wouldn't even know they have it. I say this because I bought mine from a few years ago from a seller discogs who advertised it as the original. Therefore best way is to ask any sellers of the '94 pressing for the matrix runouts and you may get lucky.

Cheers

Mondie and FourWalledWorld like this.
  7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

First off, welcome!

Regarding Ultramega OK, I seem to remember Kim Thayil mentioning a remaster in an interview a few years ago. It's possible it could come at some stage but I'd expect Badmotorfinger to come first.

8. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I have a mint original of Louder Than Love so would only buy the reissue as a back up, if it sounds good, however I'm really interested in Down On The Upside. Does anybody know if it was recorded to tape or was it a digital recording? Also sq reviews on both these reissues will be gladly appreciated!

John Bliss likes this.
  9. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

It was recorded to tape. My original CD has AAD on the backside.

John Bliss and Frank Field like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hi & welcome! That whole Universal series from 12, 13 years ago had stickers on the shrinkwrap. Once this was gone, so were the stickers and you had to look into the deadwax if the German code "320" was present.

Cardigans, Pulp, Nirvana, Monster Magnet, Soundgarden, Mark Hollis etc....this series was fantastic. Quality of sleeves, pressing and mastering was stellar. "Different Class" even had the gimmick cover. That was before Universal decided to go down the cheapskate path with Czech pressed records. Shame.

ScaleTheInferno likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

What about Badmotorfinger?
    Is the recent repress worth picking up?
    After BMF, I lost interest with Soundgarden. I really enjoyed the heavy, raw stuff.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Agree with you on the 320, one of the best rock LP's of all time and the best way to hear it after all the reissues of the past 20 yrs is track down an incredibly HTF small pressing from Germany in 2004. It is worth the hunt though if you love this album as it sounds fantastic.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone got the Down on the Upside reissue yet?

14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I have the German 320 and it sounds excellent. I'm not sure if that's the currently available issue or not though.

Frank Field and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone got the Down on the Upside yet? :shh:

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone got that new reissue of Down on the Upside, you know the new one?

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

Uh, isn't it only officially released today? I'm eager to hear how it sounds too but you've got to give it time!

John Bliss likes this.
  18. Bubbakja

Bubbakja Forum Resident

I don't have the original pressing, but got Down On The Upside today. It's the best I've ever heard the album sound. The records are flat and clean, the sound is amazing. The banjo on Ty Cobb really stands out.

John Bliss and JasonA like this.
  19. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Think it's delayed until next week.

20. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thanks for the review!

John Bliss likes this.
  21. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Quite tempting to order the new reissue just for the sake of doing a shootout

John Bliss likes this.
  22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Waiting for Vern's review to say it sounds fantastic and then ill put my order in.... :unhunh:

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

This is better than the original pressing I must say. I would say though that while it is clean and super flat and sounds OK, there is no punch, the energy just isn't there. I get no punch or oomph from Blow Up the Outside World. It all sounds clinical and sterile. Quite precise with no feeling.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I didnt understand this post...its hard work trying to figure out what you are referring to? The new reissue sounds clinical and sterile but sounds better than the original?

25. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The original is a very poor record, this does sound better than it, so it is an improvement but the reissue has no life, its clean, tidy, packs no punch. I am no audiophile so my wording may be off but my point is that from how I hear it there is no life to the sound, it all sounds neat and tidy.

John Bliss, dobyblue and richbdd01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.