U.S. Post Office To Issue Star Trek Stamps

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SandAndGlass, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

You don't have to use the "fan" label. It is OK to appreciate it for what it is. ST is part of all of our culture. You don't have to be a Trekkie or Trekker to enjoy and appreciate ST.

That you care enough to appreciate the artwork, shows that you are taking the time to smell the roses (you don't have to pick them to do that, either).

I think the artwork is well done. I have my two favorites, but I like the others. Curiously enough, the sheet with the display on the service counter in the post office only had the two that I described in my original post. It occurred to me, that it might make for a better post if I found some images online.

Glad I did, otherwise, I would have been missing out on one of my favorites.

Benno123 likes this.
  2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Thanks.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

For me the artwork lacks something rather back treading to that era which I understand
    A little too 60's impressionistic for me and bit lazy ..
    It's how feel it could be a lot better but. not my choice..
    Maybe Canadian ones are better ?

4. SandAndGlass

Oops...

I posted a photo of the Revell model of the Enterprise, NCC-1701. Upon closer examination, it was not the correct model for TOS. It was the model of the NCC-1701, from the movie, ST Into Darkness.

The correct Revell model for TOS is:

[​IMG]

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Stamps celebrate 50 years of Star Trek »

Also, 'coins'

Surprisingly the coins are in Canadian denominations, rather than in Intergalactic Credits.

Star Trek(TM) stamp and coin set (2016) »

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! A great idea. I love Star Trek.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

8. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

9. SandAndGlass

I can understand your viewpoint of them being impressionistic, no doubt they are. The transporter, being the most impressionistic of the four. The one looking straight down with the silhouette of the enterprise is a bit bizarre, and is too sharp, compared to the others. I would say that it is my least favorite of the four.

I am trying to under stand the meaning of your first sentence. I am getting that you have the feeling that it is lacking in something, is this correct?

If so? How would you change it? Do you have any ideas that you might bring to the table, if you were part of the design team?

You make reference to "that era" and "a little too 60's". Whether one of us or both of us, don't quite connect to "60's impressionistic" art, that is OK either way. But, if that is the case and from my POV, it would appear to be, I think the designers/artists, would have accomplished, what they set out to do.

Their designs are here to commemorate ST's 50th anniversary, which does date back to the 60's. It may or may not be our cup of tea, but their designs should and have portrayed the feelings of the 60's era.

It is OK that it is how you feel, we all have different opinions, as the OP, all points of view are welcome (and encouraged) in my threads.

Sometimes, more often than not, I will like something or dislike something, without ever knowing way. I am personally OK with that also. I will usually go about my day, not giving another thought, unless I am continually subjected to it.

Not that either your or my opinions, will change anything in the real world, but, if you could effect changes, do you have any ideas how they could be a lot better?

I have never seen the Canadian ones before. Our Post office, publishes commemorative stamps continuously, never pay attention to them, not a stamp collector. Sometimes, in the past, if I happened to be in the P.O., and see a stamp that I like on display, since I have to purchase stamp, and they are all the same price, I might pick out one that I liked over the standard issues. That was back, when I might be sending something that was intended to be read by another individual. Now days, I am usually paying bills, so it doesn't matter. I will buy and keep some of these, just for the heck of it, no real purpose, just nice to have, I guess. I will keep some to use, in the rare case, that I am sending something to an individual.

Here are a couple of comments from other forum members who have commented in this thread:

One like the US versions better. One has the Canadian stamps and is purchasing the US stamps in addition to the Canadian stamps that he already has.

I did a Google image search to see what the Canadian stamps look like. Here are some of them. I think they are nicely done. My comment on them, as compared to the US versions, is that, they appear to be photo realistic, with some supporting artwork in the background.

[​IMG]

I these are to your liking, you might see if some are still available for order.

In comparing and contrasting both sets, if we are honoring just the TOS, then these give praise to the beloved original characters. I like that.

Having survived for a half century, the ST universe is now quite expansive and extends far beyond TOS, going "where no one has gone before" is true, now, more than ever. a great thing.

I think the US commemorative stamps, being, impressionistic, better reflects the ST universe conceptually.

Thank You for your post!

S&G

10. SandAndGlass

I saw on photo of the one with the blue ring around the edge, while I was looking for the Canadian stamps, I thought it was a CD at first. The first thing that grabbed my attention was that I had never seen a multi-colored coin before.

[​IMG]

These are cooler than the stamps to me. If, for no other reason, I have not see anything like these before, while I have seen colored stamps.

The "coin" in the shape of a Star Fleet logo, "that is THE "E" ticket"!, All I can say is WOW, really WOW.

What ever it takes, I intend to get some of these, if they are still available from the source.

Being that they are REAL coins, is something I find exciting!

Collector coins from the "Franklin Mint" and such, are a complete waste of time and are nothing but a rip off to the consumer. Nothing of value to a real collector of rare coins. To be considered a coin, to me, it must be an official government issue bearing actual monetary value. These meet my definition as such.

Thank's for your input, greatly appreciated!

S&G

11. SandAndGlass

:):eek:
    You got me on this one, I had to do some research... For the benefit of someone reading this thread, who might be as clueless as myself, I present:

TOP DEFINITION (from the Urban Dictionary)
    quatloo
    A quatloo is a monetary unit on the planet Triskelion which was used by the planet's Providers to bet on drill thrall competitions. (Star Trek Original Series: "The Gamesters of Triskelion").

There is an actual web site, quatloos.org (always something out there for everyone!).

[​IMG]

Now, this is a SERIOUS (in its own right, I suppose) web site.

They have a Facebook page and are on Twitter.

This is a screen shot that was found on their home page. I have no idea what all this means, if it does have any meaning at all.

P.S. I don't care to know. It is fine, that some things in life, continue to remain a mystery to me!

For your Quatloo viewing enjoyment:

[​IMG]

See... It can sometimes be best not to ask questions, that you might get answers for.

For the rest of us, a YouTube video is sufficient.

This is a 2nd season episode, "The Gamesters of Triskelion". [​IMG] TMI! :eek:

Erik Tracy likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

Yea? I looks like you are gonna have to take it away from this guy!

[​IMG]

Watch out for those TEETH!

13. SandAndGlass

All members... We are T minus 7 days and counting till the Star Trek mega convention in NYC.

Mission New York, a huge Star Trek convention in N.Y.C. at the At the Javits center, September 2nd-4th, 2016, marking the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

I would like to see a SHF member, who associates himself or herself, both with the Star Trek Universe and will be attending the convention, to be the OP for a thread about this ST convention. This is not only THE Star Trek convention, this is the Woodstock of Sci-Fi convention's.

Do you want to miss out on this one too?

Who will volunteer??? The clock is running...

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There's also this blog for learning purposes:
    Star Trek Fact Check »
    The author goes by "Harvey" on the TrekBBS message board and his blog has even helped unravel some of the inconsistencies and errors in books such as Inside Star Trek and the apparent debacle that was the "These Are The Voyages" series by a guy named Cushman.
    He's even gone through the Gene Roddenberry Star Trek Television Series Collection at UCLA for information:
    Finding Aid for the Gene Roddenberry Star Trek Television Series Collection, 1966-1969 »

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I am flattered that you quoted my post; I am of the female persuasion, however.:agree:

16. SandAndGlass

This is some good stuff, well beyond the usual dribble. Job well done!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

I was away from the keyboard after the post. I returned 29-minutes later. As I was reading over my post, I said to myself, you know, somehow I get the feeling that I have the wrong gender here. :hide:

I usually get my thoughts down on paper first (or, in this case, my laptop screen), go back and rearrange things or what ever I have to do to make it readable.

I then attempt go go back after I hit the Post Reply button and see what further goofs I missed.

I had meant to edit the post to read he/she, my bad.

On a previous post, I wrote, I would like to see a SHF member, who associates himself or herself, both with the Star Trek Universe and will be attending the convention, to be the OP for a thread about this ST convention. This is not only THE Star Trek convention, this is the Woodstock of Sci-Fi convention's.

Probably best to use "m5comp"

Back when TOS was on, I remember the closing credits mentioning D.C. Fontana. I did not realize that D.C. was Ms. Fontana till many years later. I don't think that I knew any girls, at the time, who watched the show. I liked to read the ST novels. I found most to be better then I would have expected. They story lines made for good reading and were based upon a good foundation of the ST universe. I noted, that most were written by women. I had not read a lot of Sci-fi, authored by women before.

Anyway, thank you for your input. If there is anything else that you have to contribute, please hop right in.

S&G

18. eskaton

eskaton Forum Resident

My boyfriend is a huge Trekkie and a graphic designer, so these stamps are right up his alley. I cannot wait to surprise him with some of these!

BeatleJWOL and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

We get the Star Trek Stamps in Canada too, but as of next week, Canada Post is on strike!!!! :rant:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

There's timing for you!

21. John B Good

They can always be Teleported to you :)

SandAndGlass and Bingo Bongo like this.
  22. John B Good

Don't think you will see these in circulation in Canada. The Royal Canadian Mint produces a lot of this stuff, aimed at collectors.

Anyway, nice to see Uhuru :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

I wouldn't expect to see them in circulation. I just like the fact that they are real coins. Not manufactured by some company in the shape of a coin, but is not a real coin. It is fine to manufacture a real coin aimed at collectors. Just keep it real.

24. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Thank you. I would like to add that there has been more discussion of the US stamps here than at the TrekBBS message board, which surprises me. I posted there about the US stamps being available for pre-order and got zero replies. :shake:

SandAndGlass and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ha, reminds of fast food Pizza that are so thin, I swear you could fax a Pizza over!

John B Good likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.