Should Robert Plant lay down vocals for unreleased 'Swan Song' instrumental track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Similar to what the Stones and Springsteen and even U2 have done recently by laying down new vocals for old songs that were never released. Yes I realize that for this melody was reused by Page as Midnight Moonlight for the Firm, but I sure would like to hear Plants voice over this track. I think it would be fun to hear myself, but I'm sure Plant would never go for it.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

hell no. for example, I think Walters Walk works better as the left over instrumental than finished in 1982.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

no.
    please and thank you.
    no.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Nah. Way too much time has passed.

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

You can debate 'should' as much as you like, but going by his track record over the last 30 odd years it ain't ever gonna happen.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Nope...and they should still release it (officially).

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The one thing Zeppelin haven't done is tarnish their reputation. Those other guys did by doing exactly what you're asking for.

9. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

No. Oh Hell No. And I don't think that Robert would have anything to do with this idea at this point either.

10. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Bad idea.

No good can come out of going back and messing with what's past and gone. Plant isn't the kind of person who would do that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think it would be interesting, but I think it should be left as is. Besides, Plant wouldn't go for it.

12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I don't think so.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

No, but the unfinished instrumental was a glaring omission from the Physical Graffiti and Coda companion discs. Presumably, the recent reissue campaign was the final word on the studio archives officially, so it is very unfortunate that this key track was omitted.

14. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Yes, if released as an official canon Zep song with full approval and participation by Jim and JPJ.

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree. I hate how Springsteen adds new vocals--and other musical elements not part of his "sound" at the time--and pawns them off as from the original "sessions." The Stones do this as well. Of course, artists can do whatever they want; but it's annoying.

That said, if there is an odd track laying around that has potential and hasn't been widely circulated as a bootleg, I have no problem with artists adding to it and then releasing it as a new song. Because that's what it is. It's new. This is done lots of times. Neil Young has always done this, and The Stones did this with Tattoo You--which turned out great.
    I know it seems like I'm splitting hairs. But it's a clear line.

I have no problem with Led Zeppelin doing this with "Swan Song." Just don't sell it as "from the vault."

George Blair likes this.
  16. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Well;

1. Plant has to want to do it

2. It would be a "re-imagination" of the track (or similar description) and NOT " the first new Zeppelin song in 36 years" or some such guff

3. It belongs on Coda II or the like, not on a 'hits' compilation and PLEASE PLEASE not a single

17. jopageri321

jopageri321 Forum Resident

No, leave it alone.

walrus likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd rather he lay down vocals for new Robert Plant material. He's been on a roll for the past decade. No need to go backwards.

JoeF. and jopageri321 like this.
  19. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

This baffles me too. The Swan Song instrumental is the most Zeppelin-esque of all the unreleased material - I mean it even carries the name of their record label. I wonder if there is some legal copyright issue since the melody was used in Midnite Moonlight. Or maybe Plant vetoed it because in his mind it's now a Firm song and doesn't want it associated with Zep cannon.

20. I see no reason not to do so unless he doesn't want to. Legacy - meaningless. Passage of time - who cares. People make music because it's fun, and the act of creation feels good. If he ever got a bug to work on that track, I'd hope he would do so. If he's not feeling it artistically, then he shouldn't.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.