Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

supermd and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  3. As a few have remarked previously in this thread, the overall tonality in this clip - as in the previous "Twist and Shout" - (which is mostly what I care about rather than being able to hear every minute detail) skews towards the high, brittle end; with a corresponding lack of mid-range warmth and body. Sounds grating and fatiguing to my ears.

I also have always wished they'd selected the '64 version of "Hard Day's Night", which rocks with furious abandon compared to the more leisurely '65 version here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    dasacco likes this.
  4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Thanks for posting the link. Love Bob Boilen's enthusiasm for the Beatles. Myself, I'm looking forward to comparing the official release with my 'grey market' CD (the one that comes in the mini-lp package).

5. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

You are going to compare it to a bad vinyl transfer?

I strongly suspect that a lot of people praising the sound on this have never heard the full shows in best quality, or the original album from a tape source. Otherwise the lousy processing work would be obvious.

LSP2003 likes this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

A compromise would have been nice. A
    I also have a beautiful, Japanese mini LP replica. It actuallly turned out to be a nice consolation, considering the herrendous repackaging of this release.

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The NPR story and link has AHDN complete, and excerpts from She Loves You, Ticket to Ride and Long Tall Sally in the audio interview.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

A Hard Day"s Night now available on Spotify > It sound pretty good to my ears :)

rstamberg likes this.
  9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I'm still seeing Twist and Shout as the latest release. Maybe it's because I'm in the U.S. and I'll have to wait until the east coast reaches midnight (that's the beauty of living on the west. It was 9pm when I downloaded NEW and BBC Vol. 2 when they came out). I did hear it already thanks to someone who posted a link to an article that had the video embedded on the article. Maybe we'll be getting another song as a single next week too.

10. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Yes here in Norway it"s already the 26th, so you have to wait a few more hours before it"s available.
    I think will get a single next week as well :)

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  11. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

It sounds just like my current copy. Not sure I will invest with what I have heard so far.

12. GreenGringo

True, but the processing done to remove the excess crowd noise has taken much of the guitar sound with it. It sounds like cheap noise reduction crossed with a bad compression defect...and it is even more irritating than the lousy EQ IMO.

And the fact that people aren't familiar at all with the original (very good sounding) recordings doesn't help matters either, so this definitely isn't a case where you can trust peoples first impressions. There is probably going to be a lot of uninformed, meaningless praise surrounding this release, so take it with a grain of salt.

13. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Not sure about this one after hearing the samples.. I am not digging the reverb.

babyblue, NaturalD and wiseblood like this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I wonder if there'll be any tip-if-the-hat or other recognition of the original LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL cover artwork with the upcoming issue. Has anyone here seen the complete finalized artwork yet?

I downloaded the new "Twist and Shout" and, while it sounds better, as a recording, it is what it is.

I played THE BEATLES AT THE HOLYWOOD BOWL a lot - a lot - when it came out in 1977. I can't imagine I'm going to play this new version much after the first few spins. Just sayin'.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I’m guessing I’ll buy it from iTunes and will gladly use the original LP pic. I don’t buy CDs anymore, but had the same CD as you guys have.

rstamberg likes this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Same here. It’ll only be so much better, and it never was a world class live album to begin with.

17. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

SAME!

It was the first thing I heard (after the screams) and I thought it sounded absolutely artificial and lame. Giles has to know that reverb has sort of lost favor with a great deal of the community these days and that's not to say that people aren't using any, but we are definitely using amounts that reflect more of the natural space rather than the synthetic caves that folks used to be placed in. And now we have this new 2016 release that I was hoping would be bigger and better and wow the socks right off of me. Not a chance. I'm writing it off before I even have it in hand. The artwork is terrible and the sample of Twist and Shout isn't impressive. Why did they go to such an effort to "remix" this? It's hardly worth it. Just remaster the old one and call it a day. And give us the old artwork, fake photos and all.

Apple leaves me scratching my head more often than not these days.

18. GreenGringo

True, but the processing done to remove the excess crowd noise has taken much of the guitar sound with it. It sounds like cheap noise reduction crossed with a bad compression defect...and it is even more irritating than the lousy EQ IMO.

And the fact that people aren't familiar at all with the original (very good sounding) recordings doesn't help matters either, so this definitely isn't a case where you can trust peoples first impressions. There is probably going to be a lot of uninformed, meaningless praise surrounding this release, so take it with a grain of salt

LSP2003, Darrin L. and wiseblood like this.
  19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I actually like those photos more now...knowing that they are fake.

Mr. Explorer and wiseblood like this.
  20. GreenGringo

I get the impression that Giles Martin needs to find a new hobby, instead of riding his father's coattails and doing a very lousy job of it. He couldn't be any more badly suited for this position. His work is amateurish and he even admits that he isn't all that well-versed on the Beatles' music! Ugh! What are they thinking?

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

From the upcoming Mojo magazine Beatles cover issue, Olivia Harrison did see the Beatles in concert:

I WAS THERE!
    Future wife of George, OLIVIA HARRISON, saw The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl: “It was amazing how focused they were.”
    “I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in 1965 and at Dodger Stadium in ’66. The mania and hysteria of those gigs brought a certain expectation with it: What am I supposed to be feeling here? You came to listen but all these other emotions were surrounding you. You had to focus so hard on hearing anything that it was impossible to really enjoy the music. I was way up at the top at the Hollywood Bowl and the girls were diving into the pond and swimming to the stage. So I’m trying to watch the band and listen to the music but I’m thinking Oh, my God, you’re going to get electrocuted on the wires from the lights! With all this going on it was amazing how focused the band were. I mean, George would talk about Hamburg, they all would, and how they were so connected to one another and so into their songs and what they were playing, but George said that at the end they couldn’t hear and it didn’t feel safe. They were asked to play in a way no one would now. But they did what they were told. They were trying to steam-roll ahead musically in a world where in Abbey Road they had to ask Mal [Evans] to open the fridge if they wanted a cup of tea, because they were locked after 5pm.”

As told to Andrew Male

22. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I agree. Just like Let it Be Naked. I find the original LP fine. I'm not impressed with the new remix of Twist and Shout. The energy has been stripped.

babyblue likes this.
  23. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Giles is fine. If there's a bit of nepotism happening here, I really don't care. I think the surround mixes on Love are wonderful. The A Hard Day's Night and 1+ DVD mixes are very conservative, as apparently the Hollywood Bowl CD will be also, but I'm not sure this is the wrong approach. I think he's going for a focused, hard-hitting sound, much like the original mono mixes, but cleaner. He doesn't seem interested, at this point, in re-arranging the stereo image too much. Yes, there are a few technical glitches that could have been caught by those who've heard everything hundreds of times, but I would guess this is the nature of remixing, and makes things interesting, IMO. I appreciate these efforts, as opposed to someone just remastering all the old sound.

Dugan, Tingman, Kim Olesen and 3 others like this.
  24. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I like the way this old 70's LP sounds more than the new samples of the official release.

Darrin L. likes this.
  25. and so it starts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.