Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Yes it has. And it's a bit longer.

Big Pasi and bobcat like this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Even better, but 'one day', sadly, sounds like 'don't hold your breath....

Maybe they can release it along with the Bernie Andrews' tape of the 1967 BBC session.

Shame those things are not in this box set but one needs to have a glass half-full attitude about these things, I suppose.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh YES!!!

4. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Maybe there will be a 5.1 blu-ray box someday incorporating all the albums in 5.1.

JulesRules, jlf, J_D__ and 1 other person like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I don't know if it would represent a whole show, but it was certainly all they considered for release.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

On setlist.fm I found the Mothers and Manchester College of Commerce performances.
    Pink Floyd Setlist at Mothers, Birmingham »
    Pink Floyd Setlist at College of Commerce, Manchester »
    Don't know if these sets are complete... The Mothers concert even shows that they performed two more songs (Let There Be More Light, and an instrumental improvisation).
    Seems that the setlist was switched temporary (because of recording the shows for the known live LP). Most of the other performances, before and after, were The Man & The Journey stuff.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd prefer the song titled with only one word: "Axe" :D

8. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I always favoured 'Beset By Creature's of the Deep' as the title. When Rog screams, it's like being pulled under. Although I have a boot from Southampton Uni '69, that features the same tune played twice - once in tic-toc style as CWTAE and once with the bluesier intro they used when segueing into Green is the Colour, as BBCOTD. Short of material? Or possibly a mixed source for the boot? The second version is much closer to the 1970 versions that circulate. For a b-sde to a single nobody bought, it proved pretty durable!

Tristero and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Still played as late as 1977.

rontoon likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Cool! Is the Southampton concert from soundboard or audience tape? Don't know many bootlegs. I love to collect soundboard recordings.^^

11. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I'm a bit disappointed with the selections of live material on the 69 and 70 years. Putting the essential and amazing BBC material into another category, the 1970 set has one, yes one, live track that is not video. Hard to believe for what I think is an amazing year for them on stage. The 69 set has The Man and The Journey, which is great, but the lack of Ummagumma live outtakes is a drag. Was there really nothing else from 70 that was worthy of being included? No Santa Monica, Denmark, Germany? Yet, they think the quad mix of AHM is essential?

jay.dee likes this.
  12. radiophonic

Audience. Pretty good considering the vintage though. Stuff this old, it's basically take it or leave it. Nobody cared much at the time.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. radiophonic

I did hope that the Mothers tape would finally reach the wider public. It definitely is in somebody's hands.

LucasRios98 likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The concert at Mothers contained an (instrumental?) improvisation (between Eugene and Interstellar Overdrive) and Let There Be More Light as an encore. Could be great bonus material, but who knows how well this was performed...^^

15. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Well, the copyright protection will be running out soon. Maybe the owner of the tape will try to capitalize on it?

16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

You duly noted the BBC as a caveat, but since the '70 session has a live audience, they probably figured that filled the slot. At least that includes fine period readings of Embryo & Green/Careful, and the '71 BBC session (also live audience) provides the expanded Fat Old Sun.

rontoon likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sometimes I think, wouldn't it be great to have a soundboard recording of their 'Games For May' concert? Sadly it was never recorded, right?

18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

If you listen carefully (pardon the pun), this early Beset at Southampton, and the one on BBC Night Ride, has a slightly different baseline than the one-note alternating octave of Careful. By summer, they'd dispensed with all pretense that it wasn't Careful and just played it straight up from then on.

Or perhaps that's exactly what you were saying with tic-toc style vs. bluesier intro? ; )

19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Of course. I wasn't trying to provoke you into telling us...although I'd love to know.

To the label, if you're watching this thread, release the damn surround mixes!! It's preposterous to release bootleg quality BBC recordings but not specially prepared surround mixes!!!

20. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Well, this box set looks awesome, but no way I need that much material from that early period. I really wish that super limited release of the 1965 vinyl was going to be reissued.

jamesmaya and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. radiophonic

Yes - That's what I meant. The bluesier intro also facilitates the segue out of Green Is The Colour. The Ummagumma version is played more like the straight D octave bass, but still taken pretty slow. The BBC '69 has the bluesier feel. Compare either to the '68 Murderotic version - much faster and played very 'straight' and un-syncopated. I seem to remember it changed key at one point too - is the Come In Number 51 version based around an E rather than D?

22. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Fungusmungus and Sander like this.
  23. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Amazing, but also a pretty LARGE package...

Make me wonder where I'm going to store this box and how the wife will respond :D

gryff, Hattipper and RonBaker like this.
  24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I personally love that version of "Interstellar Overdrive". I wonder why they didn't include it.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The artwork of the box set looks like (colored) stones underwater and stuff. I was hoping they would design the box set more similar like the 1965 double EP.
    And I wish they could release the 5 vinyl singles in an individual box as well, something like The Who did with their early 45s (Brunswick and Reaction).

B. Bu Po likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.