Salem's Lot and It come to Blu-Ray September 20

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Two Tv Stephen King adaptations. I thought both were good (I was underwhelmed by the creature that was revealed to be It) . I had both on my cart but, unfortunately, both sold out the day after I added them to my cart. They come out on September 20 so you can keep an eye out for these in stores I suppose (unless they choose not to carry them).guess I will go with Barnes and Noble.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    enro99 likes this.
  2. wayneklein

Mmmm for some reason when I did the search the thread started by Myke didn't show up. Gort's could you merge these?

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched this again recently and wondered why David Soul didn't have more of an acting career. He's really very good in this.

ssmith3046, enro99 and wayneklein like this.
  4. wayneklein

I agree. Love James Mason in his as well. Still waiting for Frankenstein:The True Story on blu- Ray!

enro99 likes this.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool! Salem's Lot used to scare the heck out of me when I was little. :yikes:

6. wayneklein

I find it a bit less scary but it's a well made movie with some really eerie moments. I'm looking forward to Tobe Hooper's commentary track.

Holy Diver likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Magnum Force.

8. alexpop

Watched it recently and it looks ( well) dated. The novel was riveting.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The "Salem's Lot" movie (mini-series) really freaked me out as a kid. I remember a scene in a jail cell that particularly scared me. The novel is excellent. I remember having a major crush on Bonnie Bedelia after seeing this. I was probably only 7 or 8 at the time, but I thought she was an angel.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Always thought that the kids were terrible. They managed to destroy what on paper should be one of the scariest scenes of all time (the window scene) with their wooden acting. Great visuals, but I believe it's a little too corny and badly executed to really work. The same goes with IT; great first act, absolutely hideous ending. Anyway, the nod to Nosferatu is a great touch. Good catch for a rainy Friday night but nothing more than that.

11. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Hopefully they'll be available for rental streaming.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I agree the lead child actor in "Salem's Lot" was lousy. He's a weak point. It's also a very mild sanitized adaption (by Tobe Hooper of all people!) I enjoyed "IT" almost all of the way through because creepy King scenes were plentiful throughout. The kids were very good, but I don't think the adults were bad, either. But the ending came off as cheesy and rushed. It's a shame. But what can you do with a B-movie monster? This is what I thought of the ending in meme:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Matheusms likes this.
  13. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

I had fond memories of Salem's scaring the heck out of me as a 16 year old. a couple years ago I picked up the DVD for a few bucks. I now find it borderline terrible and feel bad that I have raved about it to people over the years based on my initial impression.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, another made for TV horror movie scared me at age 10, and that one aged much better, still has the creepy dread vibe.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Freaked me out. And I had a Kim Darby crush at the time. A Kim Darby crush? Man, those were different times.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. wayneklein

I'm sure they will Warner usually makes their releases available but if you like it well enough, it's like $9 bucks per film.

16. wayneklein

I don't think it's bad but it is a product of its time certainly (anymore than Star Trek is "bad" or "The Prisoner") horror doesn't age quite as well as some other genres but all films age including dramas. There are films from the 50's bexause of different acting styles that were in vogue at the time, shooting and editing. You just have to accept it for what it is. David Soul, Bonnie Bedila and James Mason all give terrific performances and sell it well enough for me. There are things that haven't aged well for sure and the staging of some scenes aren't quite as well done as I would have liked but I can still enjoy it for what it is.

It works very well until,the last act and the sequence where we find out what the Clown really is suffers from or staging (and stupid--I thought it was in the book, too).

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

At $8.44 for this, and $8.44 for IT, at Barnes & Noble, they could even suck a little, and it'd be okay. :laugh:

enro99 likes this.
  18. wayneklein

You watched "It" recently or "Magnum Force"

19. alexpop

"Salem's Lot"
    Pity, as I enjoyed the TV presentation ..at the time.
    Was Magnum Force a novel ?

20. wayneklein

I think they wrote a tie in novel when it was released.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

enjoy the blu ray.

22. alexpop

Oh, lordy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.