Chicago Group Portrait 4 CD Boxset- A few versions seen, are they all same mastering?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WestGrooving, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Fatboy . . . the original longbox edition seems to have held its value: ~$30 or more.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you know if the longbox and fatboy are the same mastering?

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yes, that's why I was searching (and reviving) the thread to begin with. I wanted a Chicago comp but couldn't remember the one good one that was always recommended over any others.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks.

Yeah, this one seems to have the best sound of any of the Chicago compilations.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sure does.
    Played my original Columbia Records boxed version of GROUP PORTRAIT -- all of it, in order -- about a year ago, and it still sounds fantastic.

6. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

All have the same SONY Masters and Lp Versions,no changes.

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I got one of the fatboys 25 cents plus 3.99 on Amazon. :D That was May of 2013 so over 3 years ago. Great set!

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

is it the same mastering as the original box set?

9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It could be year or more easy before I get to that box. Ron is correct - there are great deals to be had lately so I've been stocking up on new oop box sets like a crazy person. I think the era of the great box set is pretty much over. Thanks to a reggae thread here I snagged some reggae boxes like a new copy of this set for 19 bucks on Ebay. I will be opening box sets for years to come. As for new releases I buy very few, mostly the complete albums sets and not too many of those. The Sinatra Voice On Air set is the only recent in print box set I can recall that wasn't an album collection.

FACTORY SEALED NEW Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music (Box Set) ยป

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    MikeP5877 likes this.
  10. MikeP5877

I snagged a fatboy too early this year for $17 at a local shop. I thought that was pretty good but it looks like I overpaid :D

ARK and Malina like this.
  11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Amazon can fluctuate like crazy and I popped in at the right time. I've actually been listening to the Chicago set in the car lately and enjoying it. I had a convo with a seller on Amazon years ago who was telling me he buys on Amazon and sells back onto Amazon, not sure how that all works. He was the one who warned me that dolphywas1 was the most infamous seller of used reseal jobs on Amazon. He tried to beat me a couple times but I was onto him and got my money back. Oop hunting for new stuff can be hard work, glad I'm nearing the end for the most part. I found out later that dolphywas1 was also Ion Records in New York partially owned by Bill Laswell - buncha crooks that finally went out of business. Now sometimes when I go on Amazon the three lowest sellers are all guys who tried to rip me off.

https://www.discogs.com/label/13431-Ion

12. MikeP5877

Today I picked up the long box version with booklet for $15, which is $2 less than what I paid for the fatboy version back in March.

George P likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Nice grab!

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Hands down, the best sounding Chicago compilation on CD.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And I like that!

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Incredible box no song edits I believe.

17. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

That box set was my compromise between the greatest hits albums which I found too limiting and owning all those early albums which (to me) was overkill. I do own Chicago Transit Authority and will do so forever, but the only one after that I own is Chicago V.

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Correct.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

:agree:
    Thanks

20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Had the fatboy in my collection for a few years before actually listening to it, which this thread inspired me to do. Blown away, great sounding mastering here.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Had the long box, sold it than years later got the 4 cd set separate without box.

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Somebody has been shopping at "The Exchange" :wave:

MikeP5877 likes this.
  23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Just unpacked this box set from the move. Playing it now. Boy, do so many other reissues of this catalog sound ****ty compared to this box. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.