Around The World In 80 Days (1956) won best pic Oscar. Still unrestored, now truly a lost film!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Thanks, Matt.

MLutthans likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

This.

3. Steve Hoffman

Bump by request!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

A good re-read.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Excellent!

longdist01 likes this.
  6. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, it's incredibly embarrassing that a studio has allowed this to happen to a film this young.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

saw him do it solo in a small club. I audibly sighed when he finished. I had heard the song ad nauseum when I was a boy and now 45 years later it sounded so right. A friend snagged a tape of the show, gotta play it tonight.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I finally found a link to the live version with orchestra of Raul's cover of "Around The World" … simply beautiful and hard to believe that it was recorded live, but it was …

longdist01 likes this.
  9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

One of the problems was that a "studio" was not really involved. Mike Todd, showman, theater and film producer, owned the film and was his baby. It was released by United Artists. Once Todd died, (in a private plane crash) things went downhill. No one was watching the shop. I guess ownership passed to his wife, Elizabeth Taylor.

10. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

You wonder if Liz Taylor's estate still has some of the missing pieces.

Robert A. Harris, calling Robert A. Harris.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. TeacFan

On a side note, Orson Welles tried to produce a musical stage play of the story in the 40's with the help of Mike Todd. Todd pulled out and the run lasted for a few months, than folded.

12. htom

htom Senior Member

She donated her holdings to the Library of Congress over 20 years ago:

80 Days

EVOLVIST, longdist01 and Derek Gee like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

What studio would that be??

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just re-read this thread because, apparently, I don't already have enough heartbreak in my life. So sad and frustrating.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Thank goodness we still have Around the World in a Daze.

[​IMG]

Just kidding- I love the 1956 film and think it is a tragedy.

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

80 Days suffered the fate of most long movies that were reissued to make a quick buck in the late 1960s. Scenes cut, and then dumped. The difference in this case is the twin versions were BOTH cut up, sadly. UA's fault, they did it.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. I just read this thread, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this oddity. So, the film I've seen several times since I was a kid (I'm 42 now), is really just a cut up version of the dress rehearsal, and not the version that won the Oscar in 1956? WOW! I never knew.

But it seems like all of the elements should be available if the world would put its collective head together (and the studios, of course)...but that's not going to happen, is it?

longdist01 likes this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

How sad, I really like this movie and I guess I never really even saw it.:(

19. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Any studio. But, I guess below is it answer...

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw this film at the drive-in as a kid. Must have been 68. I think I liked it, but I remember it being LONG and sometimes boring for a kid. I remember the wild west scenes being a bit tedious. My most vivid memory was the funeral pyre scene, nice and scary for a youngster. I'll have to watch it again sometime.

21. I just finished (re) reading this thread and agree that it is just sad what has happened to this (and other) films that are Classics in the truest sense of the word.

I haven't seen this Film in ages, although I seem to recall watching it with my Mother many, many years ago. No clue which version. We both enjoyed it thoroughly even if it did seem to drag in places.

I was wondering what is the "best" version of this is that I could potentially get my hands on? A brief search shows that Amazon lists an "HD" version which can be downloaded for rental or purchase, but I have my doubts.....

Also, a question that relates (in my mind) about film preservation. I seem to remember a major fire in SoCal several years ago that caused quite a bit of damage to building(s) that were identified by the local Media as being Film Storage Vaults. Did anything get damaged in that, or did they get them out in time? I can't remember the details. Maybe 5-10 years ago?

22. TeacFan

Could have been the Universal Studios fire. Never did really get an accounting of what was lost.

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Now I'm sad. I love movies and I'm baffled at what is allowed to rot away. I know it's a business but it's also an art. A real art that's becoming a real lost art. :(

EVOLVIST and longdist01 like this.
  24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Regarding the "it dragged" comments above, I more-or-less agree that it does in spots, but I'll also add that most of us have never seen the film "as intended," and that part of the Todd-AO roadshow experience involved seeing this on a large, deeply curved screen that had a bit of an "enveloping" effect (depending on where one sat -- many seats were actually "within the curve" in some venues). How big was it? From an old thread:
    That's dealing with TV, not movie theatres, of course, but, while drive-ins may have had screens that approached that size, they were (usually) flat and quite distant from the viewer, so the perceived picture size was not much of a "wow," and a typical multiplex or neighborhood 35mm theatre screen was much, much smaller (and probably not curved, or at least not deeply curved), as well. The last time I saw Eighty Days in a theatre was at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto in 2004, in 24 fps 35mm IB Technicolor 4-track mag stereo. Here's a photo I took at the screening:
    Screen shot 2016-08-26 at 1.59.00 PM.jpg
    It was cool to get to see/hear this vintage print, but it was a far, far cry from "You're in the show with Todd-AO!" (...and yeah, it dragged in places, and there was absolutely zero "wow" factor in terms of any immersive picture quality.)

By comparison, when I saw the film in 70mm on a Cinerama screen -- even though it was a blowup from the 24fps 35mm version, not the true 30 fps 70mm version -- it was still visually engrossing largely because of the SIZE and CURVATURE of the screen, even if the the film was not the "true" 70mm version. (I'm sure the real version looks amazing, as I have had the chance to see 30 fps Todd-AO on a Cinerama screen, and it's stunning.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    longdist01 likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I mean they rally around historic structures around the world, Art (sculptures, paintings, birthsites & buildings) granted not all get recognized and even portions saved, but many works of culture are still here today, sadly many, many films deemed unprofitable or taking up storage are just dumped :thumbsdow

Sad to think what is going to disappear now in digital realm just because of obsolete software or hardware to retrieve the data.

John B Good likes this.