Dave Grohl - a 21st Century Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think if grohl was here he'd shut this down fast

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Don't live in denial ;).

3. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I doubt that. Of course band success is much about inner chemistry but Nirvana could have become big even without Grohl. I don't know.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

His appearance was at the 'Clam Lake Brewery Co' :laugh:

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Well said!

6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Try asking Paul for an autograph. See what happens.

Ask Dave for one, you'll get it!

keyXVII, Fullbug and mick_sh like this.
  7. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Dave will also change your tires if you ask him.

8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

To be fair, Grohl beat the crap out of his drums, and that's what gave Nirvana that big sound. He was a big part of the sound of Nirvana.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Not a fan of the foos, but he seems like a fun as hell guy, someone who can be a fan around his heroes and seen as somewhat of an equal, so I don't begrudge him for appearing with any legend that'll have him. There were some cool clips of him hanging out before a Bob mould tribute show. He knows he's in a crazy life and enjoying it and seems to be cool with his fans. So , whatever with his music, just glad he's not another rock n roll jerk

10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

And Dave will take the time to properly torque the lug nuts, too.
    Why ?
    Because Dave Grohl cares about his fans.

D.D.

mick_sh likes this.
  11. CrombyMouse

Yep. There were 3 (three) musicians in the band. Novoselic wasn't a big part of Nirvana sound?

12. MeanMrMayo

MeanMrMayo Well-Known Member

Maybe Dave's not as much in demand and doesn't have as many people to cater to.

13. 64voxac30

64voxac30 Well-Known Member

I love Colour and Shape. After that I like the other albums fine, but moreso particular songs. They could branch out, but are content to make music they, and their fans, will like, and that's fine.

I will say that Grohl and the whole band get a HUGE amount of respect from me in his dedication to give everything to the fans. I have rarely seen a band so devoted to giving a fanbase all they hope for and more. Also, I think he understands it's important to know where he came from musically, and the Sound City documentary and Sonic Highways was part of that message.

Finally, during the late 90's and early 2000's when much of rock and roll was atrocious, they did fight the good fight and "held the line" with good albums and long touring.

McCartney or Dylan, he is not.

14. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Of course, and Krist really contributed a lot more than that to the band. However, the band didn't have that BIG sound until Grohl joined.

15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

There is no question Dave made them a better band. There's plenty of video on YouTube that shows the difference his joining made. Check out the New Haven show from September '91, they are so tight, so powerful. They just didn't sound like that before Dave.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I just had to respond to this to point out how ridiculous this statement is. One was a genius capable of composing highly complex music as a child; the other writes decent rock/pop songs and was in an influential rock band.

17. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Then I think I have to respond to this to point out.. er, I was kidding.... didn't think it needed pointing out...

Man at C&A and marblesmike like this.
  18. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Dave was definitely the "missing piece" that Nirvana needed to make it big. Chad Channing was a very, very incompetent drummer - and when people mourn his departure from the group, I can only shake my head.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but IMO Dave should have stuck with the drums and made the Foo Fighters an "occasional" thing, instead of trying to make them the biggest band in the world, which they are not and never will be. I have never found him to be a very convincing frontman in any regard, and his songwriting skills are mediocre at best. There is a lot of posing and lameness going on there too despite his likeable nature. He is kind of like a grunge Paul Stanley. And this sentiment certainly isn't lost on Nirvana fans, many of whom consider him a total embarrassment.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

People also don't know that Kurt "dumbed down" his music and guitar playing as time went by and his own tastes changed. His early music was relatively complex and accomplished for someone his age, but he probably moved away from that style because he found it too pretentious and Melvins-esque, and he had to establish his own identity. (Traces of this style can still be heard in the second half of "Incesticide".)

Dave was definitely the "missing piece" that Nirvana needed to make it big. Chad Channing was a very, very incompetent drummer - and when people mourn his departure from the group, I can only shake my head.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but IMO Dave should have stuck with the drums and made the Foo Fighters an "occasional" thing, instead of trying to make them the biggest band in the world, which they are not and never will be. I have never found him to be a very convincing frontman in any regard, and his songwriting skills are mediocre at best. There is a lot of posing and lameness going on there too despite his likeable nature. He is kind of like a grunge Paul Stanley. And this sentiment certainly isn't lost on Nirvana fans, many of whom consider him an embarrassment.

éder likes this.
  20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Glad to know you were kidding! Sometimes it's hard to tell around here.

21. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

You may be confusing Paul with Ringo.

22. CrombyMouse

And Butch Vig also.

AceintheSpace likes this.
  23. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Strong with the trolling you are, my friend and i commend you for that. Be careful with it though...

24. Hatchet Jack

What? You didn't know he was kidding? Really? You're kidding, right?

25. Hatchet Jack

Why would you want a peace of paper with someone's name written on it? What would you do with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.