Are the Bowie RCA CD's worth getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LadyGrinningSoul, Oct 10, 2015.

1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

If I can find it for a buck I'll sure pick it up, ofcourse... :)

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I am in Nottingham and have all the variants, well most of them! Welcome to pop over and have a listen.

Tim

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim will do.
    My email is [email protected]
    Drop me a line and we can set it up. Nice one Tim. Looking forward to some enlightenment. Only live in Derby so close by. Kind regards Adrian.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Saw this on Ebay. Not sure if it's the CSR mastering, but here goes...

eBay »

Happy huntin' ;)

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lead. Much appreciated.

6. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I took a chance on an online listing for the RCA Stage set that was kind of light on info but the price was reasonable. The package (padded envelope) showed up this morning and based on the size I could tell that it was not a double fatboy jewel case. I was expecting to be disappointed. In fact I took a video of me opening the package anticipating issues trying to return the item because it wasn't the RCA version.

I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the contents. It is a modern 2 CD jewel case, but it is indeed the RCA version. The booklet and the back insert seem genuine and the matrix numbers on the discs are the right ones.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I was at my local haunt today and the owner asked if I was still looking for Bowie RCA's. Some guy had traded in a mint West German YOUNG AMERICANS--when my drooling stopped he looked up completed listings on eBay (can you blame him?); they ranged from $41 to over $80. He said "how about $30?" Playing it right now in my patio...hehe

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm amazed by how much these are going for these days. I woke up to the RCA's a few years ago (5 years or so), and I snagged everything through Scary Monsters on Amazon (Marketplace) and eBay for $10 - $20 each.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Starwanderer and mdm08033 like this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Hmmm...who to blame, who to blame :angel:

10. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

For any UK types still chasing these, a few of have appeared on eBay UK this morning for £15 each (or best offer!) - Space Oddity, Low, StS, Young Americans, Scary Monsters, Hunky Dory. All WG CDs.

I've snagged the Space Oddity (yay!) and it looks like someone else has snapped up Low, but the others are still there if you move quickly. Best prices I've seen full-stop, let alone since Bowie's death.

With Space Oddity bagged I'm only missing ChangesOneBowie, The Man Who Sold The World, Diamond Dogs and Pin-Ups of the studio albums. I'm actually pretty happy with the 2015 remaster of TMWSTW, I don't really care for Pin-Ups and I'm quietly hopeful that the 2016 remaster of Diamond Dogs may be definitive.

mdm08033 likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good time to sell ( bills to pay scenario)

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Just looked to see it I could get Station to Station. They've all sold except Young Americans. If any of you need that, be quick!

13. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

All gone now, by the looks of things. Hope everyone found what they were looking for, and they weren't snapped up by flippers.

14. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident

I managed to snag Station to Station. Many thanks for the heads up!

mdm08033 and Alexlotl like this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Grrrr!! :realmad::realmad::realmad:!!

Only kidding! I went to get that but you'll have just beaten me to it! I'm not that bothered really. I have no RCA Bowie CDs and liked the idea of owning at least one. I only have Station to Station on vinyl.

16. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Oh my god, i just plunged in this thread and found out i have some EMI's.
    As many said before, never had any problem with the sound.
    Make me curious for the RCA sound, however.

17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

i did ask myself the same question before paying $60 for the RCA diamond dogs, and the answer is : yes it is far better than the 90's version by Ryko.

18. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I found a copy of the RCA "Golden Years" comp in the used bins a couple of weeks ago for $7.99.

mdm08033 and CybrKhatru like this.
  19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have a complete or nearly complete set. Never occurred to me that this is the time to cash in. I never listen to them, oh well.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

It's a nice compilation. I found it about a year ago for $5.99.

Sebastich likes this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It's a great comp. Totally left-field with it's selections, even if it followed the 1983 tour schedule.

mdm08033 and CybrKhatru like this.
  22. Bubbabob

Bubbabob Active Member

Can't speak to the new CD's but the vinyl box versions sound great. (Five Years)

23. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

If you do decide to sell, I'd be very interested in a JP for USA Diamond Dogs.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

If I decide to start selling anything from my collection, it will be in larger increments. Which to me is several thousand dollars worth at a clip. :tiphat:

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I own the Japan for US Station To Station. FYI the 2010 remaster is an excellent inexpensive alternative.

Man at C&A likes this.