Sound Output From New TV to Old Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jtw, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My experience with those cables was less than positive. I found the RCA connectors, which are cast and plated, fit incredibly tight, so much so that in a few cases I though I would break the jack removing them. Of course YMMV.

2. jtw

jtw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to clarify:

1: I don't see a headphone jack on the tv

2: As suggested, I found rca audio out jacks on the cable box. So I'm currently getting nice sound by running rca cables to the NAD.

3: With this set-up, I lose remote volume control.

4: I can't find an AVR with a moving coil in, and that amount/type of power.

5: I'm considering ML electrostatics

Is there a way to figure out if using the optical out will give me remote volume control?

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It won't.

4. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. jtw

Nuts!

6. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

The Scientific Atlanta / Cisco cable box that we have does have an option in the setup for variable audio out. What cable box does your provider use? Is there an option for another as it isn't unusual for them to have more than one model out there and you might find that you could trade for one with volume control.

If the provided remote has Vol + and Vol -, that would be a clue.

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Not really, it's just operating in the same fashion as a CD player.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

These were the least expensive, that were decent quality, not necessarily the best, but they should get the job done. Only need to hook up TV quality sound to vintage receiver.

I do have some of these cables in my system. I started, I just needed cables of one sort or another to put my system together. I ended up doing this and that...

At his point I have all kinds of interconnects of all different makes and lengths. I have my components hooked up the way I want them to be (for now). When I can get all of the stuff out of my current to-do que, I plan to move the pre-amp, which I use to control sources and some of the volume, over a few feet closer to me. At that time, I plan on ordering cable from Blue Jeans (which I agree is better than Monoprice in terms of quality, and making my own cables.

Eventually, I would like everything to match and be of one type. This way, I will know the cable wire type is all the same. I won't be able to place blame on build quality, in someone else, if I build them myself.

I can set up a table, with a soldering station and build all replacement cables in a few days. I can then make some extra stock cables in pre-measured lengths, for future use.

This will cost me way less than purchasing pre-made cables, either off the shelf or by special order. If I had just a normal standard set of connectors, I would just buy pre-made or custom ordered to specific lengths. If I were to do this, now, I would be spending a lot of unnecessary money.

I do twist, when I remove interconnect cables. You are correct, sometimes, I find a cable that grips too much. I have learned, to be more careful, than I used to be in removing cables from any female RCA outs on equipment.

The worst for this gripping, are turbine cables from Monster. You have to be extra careful, or you will rip the RCA metal connecting cover, right out of your equipment. I know, because I have done it before.

Monoprice aren't bad, just not the best, they do get the job done. There are a lot worse cables out there for more $$$.

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Since the OP is satisfied with the (RCA) audio out from the cable box, the only issue now is controlling the volume. Does the NAD have a remote?

Many of the Cable TV remotes that I have seen are fairly smart and can be used to control other devices. I am not sure if it would find a match for the NAD, and even if it did, the volume control may affect both the NAD and the TV. Moot point if the NAD doesn't have a remote.

If I can stray for a second - I have an older (2008 era) JVC in the bedroom. I moved a receiver and speakers into the room and connected a digital optical cable from the Digital Out to the Digital In on the receiver. It didn't work. I checked the connections, changed the cable - still no sound. I then connected the RCA outs to RCA in - success. I then checked the manual for the JVC and found this:
    :doh: (My HDMI source is my cable box)

Now, back to the OP's issue.....

10. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

As I asked 4 posts above, if the cable remote has Vol + and Vol -, you should also see a screen in the converter setup to change from Fixed Volume to variable.

Time Warner /Comcast boxes usually have this option as do many others. This would be the best option from the info he has given, if it is available in the setup. The cable remote should also control other components if needed without conflict.

11. SandAndGlass

I didn't realize, from the other conversations, that your TV didn't have a headphone jack. It is funny, the more advance out technology gets, the more PITA, it gets. This makes a simple task unnecessarily more complicated than it ever needs to be.

BUT... The good news is, I have a beautiful, workable solution for you, with regard to volume control. I use this solution myself, not because I have to, but because I like to.

I give you the Emotiva Control Freak, remote volume control. On the Emotova web site, it is under their Professional Products, Electronics.

[​IMG]

Have you ever wondered how to connect a source with no volume control directly to powered monitors or an amplifier? Welcome to the Emotiva Control Freak. It’s a passive volume control that makes connecting a phono preamp, DAC, CD player (or virtually any other source) to your powered monitors or amps easy—with ultimate transparency and control.

Ideal for Powered Monitors
    Connect the Control Freak to any source, and plug your monitors into it. Now, you have total control from the convenience of your desktop, via the Control Freak’s large, machined aluminum knob. Both balanced and single-ended Control Freaks are available, so you can match them to any source or monitor.

Perfect for Amps
    Don’t have powered monitors? No problem. Control Freak works great with power amps, too. It’s a great way to match a DAC or other fixed-output source with any of our Emotiva amps, and add a convenient volume control.

Passive Precision
    The Control Freak doesn’t have any active electronics at all, just a high-quality 10k passive volume potentiometer. This means it has virtually no effect on the quality of your signal, unlike digital volume controls and active preamps. It’s a great upgrade to a computer-based system where you’ve been adjusting volume using the operating system, and lets you bypass the lossy digital volume control.

• Available in both single-ended and balanced versions to match your equipment
    • Precision potentiometer ensures smooth level changes and excellent
      channel tracking
    • Large, convenient remote knob is ideal for desktop use—and puts control
      at your fingertips
    • Adds nothing to the signal—no active electronics or processing in the signal path
    • Real machined aluminum knob and housing
    • Soft rubber base pad protects your desktop and stays where you put it
    Order the one with RCA connectors. It has a 5" single cord, then it branches out to 15" of separates, ending in a pair of male RCA connectors and a pair of female RCA connectors. It has a weighted base, with felt on the bottom. It has a precision feel for easy and fine volume adjustments.

If you need a longer interconnect run, just buy a pair of RCA extension cables.

I run two to three systems at any given time, all unprocessed stereo. I have a pair of A7's. I run a RCA pair off of the DAC in the the iNova. They go to a tube pre-amp, which sits behind my 2nd sofa, over my right shoulder. I could adjust the pre-amp volume there, but I set it and leave it. The output of my pre-amp connects into the Control Freak, and then on to the Monoblocks, behind the TV and on to the A7's.

I hand the pre-amp over the back of the sofa, so my left hand can make adjustments easily. My iNova sits right behind the Control Freak to adjust the volume of the volume of the other SS amps.

I do have wireless remotes for all of these, I just don't care to use them, unless necessary.

The Control Freak is available directly from Emotiva for $49.95. I have used them new for a few years, no issues at all.

Good Luck!

S&G

CrazyCatz and Robert C like this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Emotiva Freak - man, I DO like the looks of that! Based on everything I've read so far that would solve the OP's problem and allow him to keep his NAD as part of the setup.

Matter of fact, I think I will get one of these myself, so I can stop using the headphone out and just connect the "always on" rca analog outs from the tv box. Nice.

CrazyCatz and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

I looked for something like this for years. I hate wireless volume controls, press button and wait...

I have Emotiva gear for SS side of things. One day, they announced this a new product. I bought one, love it. Perfect for what I wanted to do. Later, I went back on their web site and could not find it under accessories. It was not listed, crap! I bought a new one off of a eBay user.

Later, I was speaking to Emotiva about a repair and brought this up. I commented that it was a great product, smooth operation and easy to turn. It has a purpose that it fulfills. I was sorry that they discontinued it! He told me, they still offered it. He told me it was under the Pro-sound division.

Personally, most home users, I don't think would look under that link automatically. I think they would get better exposure if it was under the regular accessories link, or perhaps both?

Another nice thing, it is available with balanced inputs for only an additional $10. I think that is a good value. Those who have balanced outs, have the ability to run longer runs, before picking up more noise.

CrazyCatz and Tim S like this.
  14. jtw

My internet was down for a few days....catching up.

Dish says our wireless Joey box doesn't have a variable volume option. I'll check with another tech support person later.

15. jtw

The NAD is not capable of remote.

The control freak does not allow remote control. It's a hard wired volume knob. It may allow me to run two pairs of rcas across the room, and mount the device near the sofa.

We have a few days left on the return policy. Looking for a 48-50" tv withe variable external out audio.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. jtw

My wife has started looking for a pet monkey to train. She's really excited, since she had a monkey as a pet in Cuba.

I'm looking into an 8 ft long stick with an end piece that will grasp the volume knob, OR, a used preamp with remote control and a moving coil input. (Suggestions?)

CrazyCatz likes this.
  17. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. SandAndGlass

Wouldn't it be easier to run some RCA cables along a wall, more or less out of sight?

I did have some ideas for you, I checked out some yesterday, but, as it turned out, they were not workable solutions.

The main problem with your request, as BuddaBob pointed out is 48", unless you get an extension, then you would need to suspend it from the ceiling.

Solution #2, Get monkey, train monkey. :)

Problem; if you get an older stereo amp that has a phono input, it will not likely have a remote control.

What you need, other than a trained monkey, is a:

Sherwood RX 4109 210-W Stereo Receiver Black 5 Audio Inputs AM/FM Tuner 2-Ch. New, open box on eBay for $99.99 + $19.99 shipping.

More than 10 available / 478 sold

Note: While there are used ones available, I would stick with new.

Key Features:

- 105 Watts RMS per channel with no more than 0.9% THD, from 40 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 ohms

- Totally Discrete Amplifiers for all channels (TDAS)

- Heavy Duty Binding Posts

- Switching for two pairs of loudspeakers (in parallel)

- Bass and Treble Tone Controls

- 43-Key Remote Control

- AM and FM Stereo

- 4-Gang FM Front end

- 30 Station Presets

- 5 Audio Inputs (including Tuner)

- Sleep Timer

- Digital Encoder Volume Control
    - System Illumination (Dimmer)

- Headphone Jack

- Tone Direct

- Large Fluorescent Display
    - Power supply

Here is a YouTube video review:

Product Information
    Unlike the budget stereo receivers now flooding the entry-level price points at dealers across the country, the Sherwood RX-4109 is designed and built in-house with the same quality and attention to detail the company has been bringing to its audio gear for the last 50 years.With 105 Watts RMS per channel, phono section, binding posts, a versatile remote control and switching for two pairs of loudspeakers, the only thing that bespeaks the word "budget" about the RX-4109 is its modest cost.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There you go. I have a similar unit, which is now back in the box, that I used to use for my rear amplifier. Never any problems. The only issue I had, was when I would turn my HT way up in volume, if there was clipping, it would not just cut off, it would turn off. This was very loud. Replaced with Emotiva Fusion Flex.

Otherwise, I would take back your TV and exchange it for one that has a variable volume on a preamp output or though the headphone output. Preamp output is preferred.

I had no use for a 2nd set of speakers, but, I did notice the fine print in the manual. If using two speakers, they should each be 16-ohm, (in parallel, that presents an 8-ohm load on the amplifier). With a single speaker, use 8-ohm only.

Do confirm with seller that it has a variable volume on preamp output. (It should, mine does).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  19. jtw

Looks interesting. But it's missing a moving coil input, and I'd be taking a hit on power.

I'm starting to look at the preamp suggestions. At least, that way, I still can hopefully use my receiver as a power amp. Pus, I would get remote volume control of my cd player and turntable. But finding a $200-ish used preamp with remote and moving coil phono ain't easy. Even then, I'll lose the subsonic filter that I use for warped albums.

20. SandAndGlass

I don't see that happening at all, not discourage you on your quest, but, it just ain't gonna happen.

Any preamp that has not run hard and put up wet, that is worth more than its weight in salt, will run you twice that, or more, w/o an on-board moving coil preamp.

You are just asking for problems. Best not to go there.

Better to just get a preamp. A decent late model used one will run about $400 and get a Emotiva XPS-1 High Performance Phono Preamp. for $149.00.

[​IMG]

Flexibility for a Broad Range of Cartridges
    The circuitry in the XPS-1 is designed to provide the optimum gain and noise performance for both Moving Magnet (MM) and Moving Coil (MC) cartridges. You can configure the load impedance on the Moving Coil input to achieve the best sound for your particular cartridge.
    • Input Impedance:
      MM: 47k Ohms
      MC: user selectable between 47, 100, 470, 1k Ohms
    • Gain:
      MM: 40 dB
      MC: 60 dB
    • Frequency Response:
      MM: RIAA + / - 0.12 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
      MC: RIAA + / - 0.25 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
    • Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N; A weighted):
      MM: > 96 dB
      MC: > 79 dB
    • THD:
      MM: <0.0075 % @ 1 kHz; < 0.02%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
      MC: <0.006 % @ 1 kHz; < 0.05%, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
    As it happens, Emotiva is having a Labor Day Sale, from now through September 6th. You can take 15% off of everything on their web site.

That will give you a discount of $22.35, leaving you with a new price of $126.65.

Here is a review from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, from October 2014:

EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO PREAMPLIFIER REVIEW

I was going to post a snippet from the review, but it was typical. There were a couple of comments that I found interesting. Names have been removed.

8 months ago
    This is truly a little gem! I have lived with various phono preamps over the years, including Dyna PAS-3, PAT-4, PAT-5, Marantz 7, McIntosh #?, Hafler DH-100, DH-101, DH-110, and Parasound Halo P3.

I consider the XPS-1 equal to the Hafler DH-110 and the Parasound Halo P3. BUT it is more flexible than both by virtue of its MM / MC capability PLUS its tweaking controls which are also instantly available. The dynamic, tonal, and spatial capabilities are eminently natural.

8 months ago
    Wow, that's some high praise! Then again, after countless amount of adjustment, electrical issolation, different headshell, wires/cables, etc. I couldn't get rid of the "signature" Grado hum out of my Grado Prestige cartridge. That is until I switched to this preamp. This beauty is absolutely silent with it. I was tempted to give up on the Grado MM in favor of the Denon DL-103 MC thus why I bought this preamp, but after enjoying this pairing for almost a year, I'm hard pressed to change anything.

S&G

BuddhaBob likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I am quite sure your wife is mentally related to mine, so yeah, forget all that. Here's how you really do it (caveat, I didn't read your TVs manual)
    - Cable box goes to TV, sound plays through TV controlled by remote. Wife is happy, doesn't give a rat's patoot about the sound.
    - Then connect the RCAs from the cable box into your NAD. When YOU want to listen, turn the TV volume all the way down, and screw around with the NAD all you want.

Personally, I think life is too short. I also had an NAD and loved it, but I also love my Denon WITH remote volume control. Especially during commercials!! When I read in another thread of a guy getting a fairly new Denon for $60, seems like a no brainer.

NO, there is not a good/cheap way to get remote volume for your NAD. Get a more recent NAD with remote.

Only some Vizio and I think Sony models have variable audio out.

22. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

^ LG plasma here, from 2011, has fixed and variable. So does my Cisco cable converter.

23. jtw

We like the tv. And it fits well in our hideaway tv lift. But I'm still trying to get confirmation about the operation of other models that look like like they MAY be variable.

The majority of modern receivers and preamps, including those from NAD, don't have moving coil inputs. So I'd have to add a phono stage as above.

It's uncomfortable spending $ to get a system downgrade.

The only function on the remote that I would want is volume. Maybe a little toy motor on the volume knob? Tape the drive wheel of an rc car to the volume knob, then run in forward and reverse?

24. jtw

I think the Sony model we looked at had variable output. But the VESA mounting holes were so low on the tv that it wouldn't fit in our lift.

25. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This is what makes the whole thing such a problem. ALL the rca outputs on the cable box are full volume all the time and are not controlled by the remote :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.