Wolfgang Voigt’s (Gas) seminal GAS albums released as 10xLP vinyl box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phish, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

elvotix likes this.
  2. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

10 LPs is a lot but if they were going to go this route I wonder why they didn't include the first, self-titled GAS album.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. phish

Perhaps because the semi recent-ish Nah Und Fern release had much of the first album (albeit a couple tracks short)?

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Still no reason not to include it here. It was on the Nah Und Fern CD boxset, which is the version I bought.

6. phish

I grabbed that one as well. I was just throwing it out as a possible reason. One would think it would be included here as well though.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Nah Und Fern 2xLP didn't even have a single track from it. Maybe they could release it separately with the Profan 12'' EP or something. No idea.

8. phish

I'd gladly take a separate release, for sure.

I pulled this from a review (CDs rather than vinyl,).... "To comment on the review below: the main difference between Nah und Fern and the original Gas CDs on Mille Plateaux are with "Gas" and "Königsforst". As pointed out by Plaidzebra, the tracklist on "Gas" is different: tracks 1 and 3 on the original album have been replaced by completely different tracks on the Nah und Fern. On the original album, track 1 is essentially a slower, beatless variation of track 2, so I can see why Voigt might've thought it was superfluous. The original track 1 does have its charm, though – it sounds like stepping into a steam bath, a fitting opener for an album galled “Gas”.

Even sadder is the loss of the original track 3 of "Gas", as it has a cool, cosmic vibe that's a bit different from the rest of the album. It also has a crisper, housier sound than anything else on this album, or the following three Gas albums. As such, it’s closer to the Gas tracks that preceded the first album, and this is perhaps the reason Voigt chose to replace it. The new track 3 on Nah und Fern is more in sync with everything else, but sadly it's not as good as the original track 3."

Maurice likes this.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

A strange release to be sure. Nah Und Fern has the four albums but not in their original configurations with new or edited tracks throughout and without either of the 12" singles. This new set presumably has the original versions of the albums but it's missing the first self-titled album. And neither set includes the GAS tracks from the Raster-Noton book/CD set or the Modern 12" that was released on Profan. I love my copy of the Nah Und Fern set and I don't play vinyl so I don't need to pick this new set up but when will we simply get a decent complete GAS compilation?

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sorry, but this is too much. The last vinyl reissue contained ONE SONG from each album, now we are getting a TEN ALBUM BOX? Is it so hard to reissue "Zauberberg" individually?

12. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Sure wish that a DVD of the live GAS show was included, or be offered. Saw the show at the Miller Theater at Columbia University in NYC, it was spellbinding - the video really added to the atmosphere. I had asked Kompakt if it would be released, Mr. Voigt wrote back that it would eventually be released, but not soon. That was several years ago.

Maurice likes this.
  13. ranf1970

ranf1970 Forum Resident

I wonder if there is any chance of these being released seperately. I'm interested in getting a copy of Königsforst more than any other, at this point.

14. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Omissions of the first album aside, I am very happy about this. The originals go for ridiculous amounts, but this gives me an opportunity to own them on vinyl at a reasonable price. I hope they're pressed well.

johnnypaddock and phish like this.
  15. phish

16. HappyCycler

Anyone received theirs yet? Thoughts?

17. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Voigt said it's not included "Because the first GAS album represents a different artistic and musical style and approach." So it was a deliberate artistic choice, apparently. Full interview is on Discogs, here.

I've got the Nah Und Fern set, so won't be picking this up, though I do wonder if this might sound better than that collection, which has always sounded strangely mixed to me.

18. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Anyone receive this yet? I'm still waiting for Amazon to dispatch, but I've read on Discogs of warping and quality issues.

19. phish

A rep for a distributor got me a copy and mailed it out a couple days ago. I should be getting it today and I'll let you know how it shows up.

20. HappyCycler

Apparently they're poorly pressed :(

21. Neonbeam

I hesitatet too long. These boxes were gone within days. The original price 130€ was very moderate. Ordered a copy through Amazon which is coming from the USA. No idea if it will make the trip back without seamsplit.
    Says who? Some blokes at Discogs? I guess negative reviews should be based on personal experience. Repeating hearsay is not very helpful.

22. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

Forced Exposure is showing "Low Stock Level" for the box GAS : Box - 10LP BOX/4CD - KOMPAKT - Forced Exposure »

I purchased the box from them, was packed very well, all covers & seams received intact.

Visually inspected the vinyl, all looks good with the exception of the 3rd Pop LP, which has some hairline scratches & smudges on both sides of the disc, will need to see if it cleans up OK. Have not had an opportunity to listen to the vinyl yet.

Have listened to all 4 CDs, initial impressions are that I am hearing an improvement in texture and low-end detail when compared to the Nah Und Fern box or Mille Plateaux originals.

23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I was at that show too, it was one of the trippiest experiences I've ever had without the benefit of any chemical stimulation. I had no idea a live GAS set was ever even under consideration but I'd love to be first in line if it ever comes out!

24. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I got my copy from my local shop yesterday and right away when i took the first record of 'Zauberberg' out of the sleeve there was white debris all over side B. Brushed it off and found one bit was embedded into the vinyl and won't come off. Luckily it is only a small bit and it seems to play ok. Listened to it on my headphones and can hear a faint thump a few times where it is; but bizzarely it is in time with the deep dubby beat so it doesn't stand out. The other five sides of the 'Zauberberg' were perfect and it sounded very good (A/B'd it with the cd in the box of that one and the vinyl is a bit more bassy which is actually good with me, it's even darker and dubbier). Packaging is lovely in the box although some have complained of not having lined inners. So a bit of a pain with side 2 but it is liveable. Now onto 'Königsforst' and the 1st disc looks perfect and sounds very good on my headphones. Hopefully the rest of the set will be perfect.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Any idea if Kompakt will reissue this? The few Berlin stores that still have copies left are asking inflated prices and I'm not having that. Especially not from a dealer that is notorious for raiding other shops on RSD with his cronies to grab whatever they can.

Still haven't received my Amazon shipping confirmation so I've got no idea if I will get this box. Not all marketplace
    dealers do that so.... here's hoping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.