Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Yes he did... implying that she s****d c**k to get where she is at... this dude was introduced to us as a friend of the family and he hits her with that... low class jerk!

eddiel likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Why does E-Corp continue to employ Angela? I understand how she was in the right place at the right time when the person committed suicide on air and got a PR job, but after that, I don't see why they keep her. It has to be blindingly obvious to anyone who deals with her that she has ulterior motives.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Depends on her employment contract. I'm sure it wasn't just a short-term position, and besides she just saved the company's bacon and had her pick of positions (she chose risk management).

You mean like all 6-figure executives? :)

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I wonder if that VHS tape of Darlene taking off the mask during the recording because of the noise problem will show up later in the series. She tossed the faulty tape aside, I wonder if she found it when she and Cisco cleaned house

agentalbert and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably because E-corp has ulterior motives as well :)

6. agentalbert

I can't imagine there's a contract that would prevent them from firing her. There would be severance, sure, but I don't see why they keep her. She was in a public position as the PR person, so it made sense to have her there for the time being. But now they are through the initial 5/9 crisis, Angela ISN'T the face of the company, she's just a cog in a huge corporation. She chose to go to a seemingly low profile position (risk management). We know why she wants to be there, but as soon as she pulled that stunt with her new boss where she asked to "observe" some meeting that was beyond the scope of her work and then piped up unwanted and asked for access to a bunch of files, she would most likely be gotten rid of or at the very least completely isolated and assigned menial tasks to keep her away from anything important.

Such as?

7. stereoptic

Colluding with the Chinese to destroy the American economy and make "E-coins" the national currency?

eddiel, Bender Rodriguez and vince like this.
  8. agentalbert

Yeah, that would serve their corporate interests, as long as they emerge on the other side, which is I'm sure part of their plan.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Angela's move in that meeting was so incredibly ham fisted that I can't help but imagine it was an intentional ploy and she's working a longer game.

Then again, we've seen multiple instances where Angela has revealed herself lacking in nuance and empathy, and not extremely fast on her feet.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There could be many reasons. That's the frustrating, yet, intriguing part of the show. Things that don't seem to make sense wind up making sense eventually.

The question you ask is valid. Why keep her on? Philip Price, the CEO of E-Corp, doesn't seem to be a kind of guy who keeps people around if he doesn't need to, so if she hasn't been dismissed then possibly he's up to something himself. He must have an inkling that she's up to something even though he might know exactly what that is. The reason could simply be that he's likes having her around and is intrigued by her and despite knowing she's up to something might simply feel that whatever it is won't matter much to him in the long run.

I remember a few eps back, during Price's conversation with Whiterose, he said that he knew who carried out the attack. If who he thinks carried out the attack is definitely the people who did do it, he might very well know that Angela was part of it.

There's quite a bit going on.

11. agentalbert

Price did use her to get rid of those two guys who had dinner with them. He gave her info about them and she let it out and they were gone. I can't remember just how it went, so he did see some purpose in her. Just not sure what it is at this point.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I saw that as Price testing Angela. I don't really think he cared one way or the other which decision she would make for his own benefit (and he certanly didn't give a rodent's furry behind for the two guys themselves), but I do believe he used that to see what she was like. That he's exploiting her is a given, but I think he's still feeling out just how to exploit her.

agentalbert likes this.
  13. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Regarding Angela vs. E-Corp, I think it's a question of who is playing who. I feel like Angela is on her mission, and the E-Corp. CEO has a mission of his own regarding Angela. Now, who's winning the game? That's the part we don't know. The CEO thinks he's smarter than he is, and seems to think Angela isn't as smart as she is. So, he thinks he's winning, but is he? Hopefully we'll find out.

14. stereoptic

What is the age difference between Elliot and Darlene? Who is older? Darlene stated that she was 4 years old when she saw the news story about E-Corp being cleared of the coverup of the toxic waste that caused here father's death. Elliot looked to be 8 or 9 when his father opened the store. How long after that dis he pass away?

15. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I'm fairly sure that tape will return at some stage - struck me the moment I saw it.

eddiel and stereoptic like this.
  16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I agree. Remember the old quote attributed to Chekov or Hitchcock, "If a gun is on the mantle in the first act, it must go off by the third".

EVOLVIST, Silken and stereoptic like this.
  17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

So Angela is a virus, trying to trick them into opening a malicious file. Her boss quarantined her.

Pastafarian and agentalbert like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Did I see that right? Was that guy from Risk Management's password 'holiday armadillo'?

Nice "Friends" deep-cut reference!

BlueGangsta likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For a show that prides itself on computer realism, the idea that there would be a file on someone's computer with the unencoded passwords for the employees is ridiculous.

eddiel and agentalbert like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You would be surprised! This kind of thing happens all the time, even in big corporations. However, to rely on it as a convenient plot point is a bit on the nose.

eddiel likes this.
  21. Given how unreliable Elliot is, it could be that she is even younger than him

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Darlene can't be older than Elliot if their father was dead before she was four. I didn't think there was ever a question of her being older.

23. stereoptic

Of course, what was I thinking? :doh:

Great episode this week, with a triple cliff hanger. Setting up for the last episode.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chekhov's gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

Mr. Robot is such a totally weird show, I wouldn't put it past showrunner Sam Esmail to completely veer away from that, just to F with us.

Who the hell is using VHS tapes for anything in 2016? Even one of the other characters remarked, "isn't there a plug-in for Final Cut that will do that?" (Referring to a plug-in that degrades video and makes it look like VHS.)

This is a manufactured McGuffin just to keep the plot going. I still want to know how much of the first part of the season was real, and how much was twisted reality when Elliott was in prison.

ralphb likes this.
  25. I've been thoroughly enjoying the show since ep. 3 of this season. I think from ep. 4 on, the show got hot and hasn't slowed down, so I don't really have too many bones to pick.

I do wonder, however, what Elliot spending time in jail has to do with anything. It was an incredible holy-hell-I-didn't-see-that-coming moment, but did it propel the story forward in any way? Granted, after getting out of jail we see Elliot retaking the reins from his fish-faced sister, but I don't know if the show needed that catalyst.

I do appreciate, though, that all of the actor's on the show look fairly normal, and none of them of Greek gods and godesses like we see in so many TV shows and films. This show has captured a portrait of the everyday man quite well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.