Ron Howard Beatles doc to include 30 minutes from Shea

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfire, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Yes, That may be true of the film they are showing. But that isn't what I was discussing when I posted my comment.
    But my response was to someone who said "they had 13 cameras, how did they miss filming these songs?"
    And my response was that they did NOT miss filming them, but the unused film was discarded when it didn't fit into the TV show time slot.

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Right, gotcha.

dewey02 likes this.
  3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

And like many have speculated, DVD/Blu-Ray release once the Hulu exclusive is up. November 2016 release date right before Xmas!

4. Wingsfan2012

Could be, a "Live At Shea" CD would look great under the tree!

Jason Pumphrey and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

The Shea Stadium bonus feature wili be shown all week with every showing of the movie, not just on the 15th, according to the theater manager at the venue I'm going to. He checked again with the films distributer, and that's what he was told.

If making the trip on a Thursday is difficult, you might what to contact the theater you're planning to go to and see if they're doing the same thing.

Mark

mmars982 likes this.
  6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Although I live 1 minute by foot from FACT where it is being shown, I've had to book tickets for MANCHESTER which is 50 minutes away by car.

coffeetime likes this.
  7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I'm driving a little over 3 hours to my nieces and we're watching it together that weekend.

Mark

8. Wingsfan2012

Just over two weeks from "Movie Day"............any more thoughts as we get closer. I just pray it is not too many talking heads!

9. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Is the 30 minutes Shea footage exclusive to theaters? Any word on if it will also be available on Hulu?

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Yep Theaters only

11. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Come on, you can't sit an enjoy Whoppie talking instead of The Beatles performing ? You're crazy man!! :shtiphat:

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It makes perfect sense. At the time, they were just another disposable pop band. I doubt anybody, including the Beatles themselves, dreamed they would be so relevent, fifty years later, so why would they concern themselves with these things?
    I mean look at the BBC tapes. They recorded over all of their performances, as a budgetary concern to recycle tape. That's more tragic than some live performances.
    The Beatles weren't concerned about recording Candlestick for posterity, they were just ready to be done.

sgtmono likes this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

I am praying that the "Whoopi" interview is it's own Blu-ray track so I can skip it when I buy the Blu-ray this November! I also hope that it is the only "low point" of the movie!

14. Wingsfan2012

Exclusive to theaters and no word if it is included in the Blu-ray/dvd version released this November?

15. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

What's the point of not including the few minutes of Beatles backstage ? & The cool helicopter ride ?

16. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

A review..

SPOILER ALERT!

More reflections on The Beatles - Eight Day's A Week, the touring years....

We saw the film at Picturehouse Central in London, which is right next to the London Pavilion, where A Hard Day's Night, Help! Yellow Submarine and Let it Be all had their London premieres, so a very suitable location. It was a very big screen and great sound.

There was quite a bit of footage I had never seen before - the best being a press conference where George is seen using John's hair as an ashtray while smoking a cigarette! There were also snatches of fan shot 'home movies' of gigs, including brief footage from Hammersmith Odeon in 1965.
    Another great moment was when Paul talked about Ringo playing with the Beatles for the first time, and the others just looking at each other and thinking 'Wow - this really works'! He got really emotional when he said this too.
    As well as newly filmed interviews with Paul and Ringo, there is also footage of interviews with George and John, so like the Anthology, we get the views of all four.

I enjoyed the film. Well, watching the fabs for 2 hours can't be anything but! However, I thought it could have been better. I was rather surprised at the poor quality of some of the film footage, and I didn't like that some of it had been colourised. In my opinion, if something was shot in black and white, that's how it should stay, especially as the colourisation looked very artificial at times.
    I didn't really learn that much that I didn't know before, but as it says in the production notes "first and foremost, it is a film for those who were “not there”, especially the millennials."

I also thought it was certainly made for an American audience, who believe the Beatles first ever performance was the Ed Sullivan Show. Well, actually they'd done thousands of gigs before this, and I thought this part of the Beatles career was covered much too quickly. I also noticed that the likes of Bill Harry, Sam Leach, Tony Bramwell Freda Kelly, and Allan Williams get credit for their assistance in the film, but are not seen in it. Hopefully, their interviews will be included as extras on the DVD

For me the best bits of he film was the footage from 'Beatles Come to Town' in Manchester in 1963, Shea Stadium 1965 and 'Don't Let me Down and 'I've Got a Feeling' from the Apple Rooftop in 1969. Of course, one could say that the rooftop concert shouldn't have been included, as it wasn't from the 'touring years' - but the sound and picture quality were amazing, so I will let them off! Don't Let Me Down seemed to be the same footage as seen on the Beatles One DVD, but I've Got a Feeling had lots of different camera angles not seen before. (Note to Apple - your next Film/DVD release must be Let it Be!!)

The Beatles The Eight Day's a Week, the touring years is a great way to introduce the Beatles to new fans. I would certainly recommend all fans to see it, but if you are a big fan like me, don't expect to learn too much :>)

Footnote - don't leave the cinema before the end of the credits, because over them we are treated to sections of the Beatles 1963 Christmas message! (Another 'potential' release, please, Apple!)
    Also it was a very nice touch that the film was dedicated to the memory of Sir George Martin, and also to Neil Aspinall, Mal Evans and Brian Epstein.

sgtmono and Digital-G like this.
  17. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

How was the 65 Shea concert audio recorded? Was it recorded on three track tape at 15 ips like the Hollywood Bowl shows?

Also, how is the Shea audio presented in the new Howard release -- is it 100% native audio from the actual concert or does it include post production overdubs?

18. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Richie Cunningham really thinks The Beatles are swell and far out!

:righton:

CMcGeek likes this.
  19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I do not think the movie showing here. That kind of sucks.

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not three track. Some say mono. Others say a stereo machine for the band (but we do not know in what configuration, twin track or plain stereo) and a machine for the audience.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm taking my teenaged daughter and some of her friends to see it at the drive-in on Friday!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dflow and longdist01 like this.
  22. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

There are two screenings of this film scheduled for this Saturday in Seoul, even though the official theatrical release will be in October. With the running time of over 2 hours and 30 minutes, I thought this could very well be the only opportunity for me to watch the Shea concert at a theater and looked for tickets. At first try, both showings were sold out; but a few hours later a ticket popped up thanks to a cancellation and I am in finally. So who cares if I have to spend Saturday evening in a theater without a date? It's the Beatles. :laugh:

:wave:

23. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

An Interview with Ron Howard, Paul McCartney and Ringo from ‘The One Show’ 14th September 2016;

bluejeanbaby, Kim Olesen and SebUK like this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I don't care about who this film caters to or not. I think i am going to have a pretty good time in 6 or so hours :)

I'll just take it for what it is.

Tony LeMesmer and majorlance like this.
  25. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.