Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Dude, use the spoiler tag! :D

bluejeanbaby and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the strong pray on the weak - welcome to life lessons 101.....nothing new here it's the law of the jungle, I'm sure Cineplex Odeon does the same thing here in Canada

“At some point our fight became more about than just our theater, it became about the general unfairness in this business,” Mason told Deadline earlier today. “It’s about how these big companies beat up the little guys.”

Mason added: “To give you an example of how much power Cinemark exerted on distributors to prevent us from playing a film, Disney had Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And for any theater to book that title, it was like Black Friday — it made your year. We knew we needed it, and we knew Disney was starting to ignore clearances. We offered to pay them 100% film rental, every penny from every ticket on Force Awakens so that at least we’d make money from concessions. Disney said no. Then we offered 125% on every ticket, and the studio still said no. Cinemark just put their foot down and said absolutely no way, no way.

“We also offered Sony 100% on Spectre,” Masonadded, giving another example.

4. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Nice, they sacked the only interesting thing about the original (what made it relevant to this day). Well, it's not that easy to find another Gore Vidal. It seems that Hollywood faux-progressivism can't survive when there's fundamentalist money to be made at the box office.

"Toby Kebbell (“Fantastic Four”), who takes over for Stephen Boyd as Messala, told press at the film’s premiere that such themes were no longer necessary to unpack.
    “In 1959, the gay context was very important,” he said. “They need a voice. You shouldn’t have to hide in the dark about something you feel and you’ve grown with. That was their own thing they wanted to portray and we didn’t need to.”

Aw yeah, for sure, this whole gay-shaming thing is so 1959. I mean, I can't even count how many big blockbusters had gay protagonists last year. It's just so natural nowadays that we can't even perceive anymore. Remember that sexy scene between Johnny Storm and the Thing in the last Fantastic Four? In one or two years we'll have to resort to some affirmative action program to even have heterosexual couples on the screen!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

THE TOP 10 BIGGEST BOMBS OF 2016 (so far)
    The 10 biggest box-office bombs of 2016 so far »

(Note: Production budgets are estimates and do not include expenses for marketing and release.)

10. "The 5th Wave" - $34.9 million
    Reported budget: $38 million

9. "Hail, Caesar!" - $30 million
    Reported budget: $22 million

8. "Zoolander 2" - $28.8 million
    Reported budget: $50 million

7. "The Finest Hour" - $27.5 million
    Reported budget: $80 million

6. "Whisky Tango Foxtrot" - $23 million
    Reported budget: $35 million

5. "Keanu" - $20.5 million
    Reported budget: $15 million

4. "Ben-Hur" - $13.4 million*
    Reported budget: $100 million

3. "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" - $10.9 million
    Reported budget: $28 million

2. "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping" - $9.4 million
    Reported budget: $20 million

1. "The Brothers Grimsby" - $6.8 million

It's interesting to me that the latter three -- all relatively minor comedies costing around $20M-$30M each -- wound up the biggest bombs of the year... so far.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. shokhead

Do any of them have a common thread ie actor, director, studio, ect?

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I don't understand this list. Ben Hur lost $87 million, yet it is just #4 behind movies that lost 18M, 10M, and 39M?
    Even as a percentage of budget, those other movies didn't lose as much.
    How is this list determined?

9. Vidiot

They all sucked to some degree.

Notice that they omitted The BFG, Pete's Dragon, and Warcraft, which I think could all be classified as "major disappointments but not outright bombs." In a few months we can say for sure.

10. shokhead

11. Vidiot

Ask the writer. I'm just posting a link.

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

1A. "A Hologram For The King" - $4.2 million
    Reported Budget: $30 million

13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I'm not gonna lie-I've never even heard of a couple of these. "Popstar"? "The 5th Wave"? I mean, if I read the description on them, something may click. Right off hand though, don't know them.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The only reason I watched The 5th Wave was because of Chloë Grace Moretz, whom I first saw as a child actor and who impressed me a great deal, almost as much as Elle Fanning. Having said that, the movie was pretty bad.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

1. "The Brothers Grimsby" - $6.8 million

not surprised; I wonder how this film got released in the first place. Full of disgusting stuff (eg the female elephant scene). One of the worst movies released by a major studio.

16. They're the releases from the six major studios that have played on over 2,000 screens and have the 10 lowest grosses so far this year. There's no comparison of budget to box office, apparently. It's a pretty loose list, to say the least.

17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

only 10 people in an 11:30 (A.M.) show for "Hell Or High Water". Though maybe it's the kind of film that does better in the evening. Deserves a huge audience.

18. Vidiot

I actually saw trailers for both in theaters. They looked mildly interesting, but I'd have to be coerced into watching them on home video. Ain't gonna go to a theater for either.

19. Vidiot

And the second one:

20. Really? The ONLY interesting thing about Ben Hur?

Hmmmm.....I must have watched a different movie. Several times.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  21. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

You may like it, that's fine but thinking retroactively it's not that different from any other big studio sword and sandals epic. It was expensive, have fairly good sfx but what really makes it different from the rest is what's hiding in the dark. I don't think we have many film historians or academic studies interested in other pretty square epics of that time but there are a lot of debate to this day about Ben Hur's sexuality and the very clever way Vidal sneaked that subtext. It's a nice movie but without that angle it's yet another 50s studio extravaganza. Spartacus covers mostly the same grounds but Ben Hur having a gay protagonist in 1959 is something that will be talked about forever.

Disraeli Gears and sunspot42 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yup. Otherwise . . .

:shrug:

23. Vidiot

As I interpret the 1959 Ben Hur, the antagonist Messala was really the gay character, and he felt jilted by Ben Hur when he returned to Jerusalem. According to co-writer Gore Vidal, actor Stephen Boyd was aware of the subtext, but they kept that from Charlton Heston because he was a very conservative guy. (In fairness to Heston, he was socially very liberal and was a strong proponent for racial equality for many years.)

Lightworker likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah, those gun lovin' liberals! :)

Voodoo Child likes this.
  25. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

This is not only the general understanding of the film, it is -- as you point out -- Vidal's own explanation of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.