1 vs 2 subwoofers for vinyl system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thermionic Vinyl, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Unless you can use powerful DSP room correction, using a sub (especially 2) is playing with fire, in my experience. You're gonna get weird room reflections and less than optimal integration with your main speakers. To really do it right, you need something like this: Sub integration »

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Most people do this, simply because they locate their sub close to their speakers. Easier for them to set up the sub this way. Some, just shy away from the preamp out's for what ever reason. Some do it so they can have stereo sub woofers.

My bet is that you do it for the SQ.

There are some, who refuse to do it, because they think the signal is not as clean as the signal direct from their pre-amp outs. Well, if that was the case, what is the SQ that they are sending to their main speakers? Subs, by their nature have greater distortion by far, than your main speakers do (or so we hope). So their reasons for not doing it are not really valid, in the long run.

For people, who are having a hard time getting their sub to integrate properly with their mains, this would be a better solution.

Like anything else in this screwy hobby, you just have to try it both ways and seee which ends up sounding better. :)

3. TwoTone25

TwoTone25 Well-Known Member

I thought 2 subwoofers for my setup might help but using different placement
    did the trick, most likely 2 is not needed unless it's a big room.

4. SandAndGlass

That is a nicely thought out solution. I like it. For people who have smaller rooms, they are better off with smaller, sealed subs. They get these larger, powerful ported subs, and they wonder why they get the room boom.

The SVS subs are nice, because thy offer both options. People like to buy that one BIG sub, big mistake. Two of the sealed subs, like the one on the left, will set them back $500 each or a total of $1K.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On the SVS web site, they talk about digital bass management.

SVS receives a lot of questions about digital bass management – and it certainly can be a confusing subject. Incorrect digital bass management settings in the A/V receiver (AVR) can result in poor sound quality, and in some cases can even damage the loudspeakers. This article covers the basics of digital bass management, which will help you optimize the sound and performance of your entire system.

Your words are truly spoken

5. SandAndGlass

Two smaller sealed subs might be better. A single sub just doesn't work as well (usually).

Check out the SVS web site, great subs for the value, lots of good educational value to be found on the site. It may help you with a better understanding.

They are an Internet direct company, so you get the best value for the dollar. A $500 sub from them is like a $1,000 from a company who sell to reseller's.

And welcome to the forum as a new member! :goodie:

Steve Hoffman encourages members to fill out their equipment profiles. That way, if you have any audio equipment related questions, your fellow members will be better able to understand you situation and be better poised to assist in answering any questions or help you with audio related issues that you may have.

See, in this case, it is hard to make more helpful recommendations, because we don't have an idea about the size of your room, etc...

Just to throw some other things your way.

When I first put a sub on my current HT set up. I purchased a Polk sub through New Egg for $229. Great sub for the money. First movie we watched was Batman Begins, the bass was awesome!

I just gave that sub, along with a prior HT set up to a life ong friend of mine for his home in Tennessee.

Hint, Polk Audio, usually holds a sale around Thanksgiving every year. You can buy anything direct from them for half off. Polk already offers speakers at a good price point, due to the volume of business that they do.

They are unveiling a new line of speakers next month.

The sale is not advertised on their web site. They do a emailing to people who register on their site to receive special offers. I take advantage of it every year. Last time, I bought $4K pair of their flagship speakers for $2K, Hard to beat these deals!

Go to their site Polk Audio, you will be invited to register for their promotions, cost is zero, the Benefits may be huge!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    The Pinhead likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Pity, no hi-level connections whatsoever. Owners of vintage speakers are not taken into account, as is the case with most brands nowadays.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The Pinhead and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Thermionic Vinyl

Thermionic Vinyl Analogue Guru Thread Starter

9. SandAndGlass

I like them too. I split my pre-amp out's three ways.

1) for front amp and speakers
    2) for rear amp and speakers
    3) for sub-woofer amp and speakers

Currently using Monster Turbine "Y" adapters (wire + RCA's).

These look like a way better solution. Depending on the room I have, I may need a combination of both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.