Miles Davis 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud' 1958 - New 10'' LP Reissue by Sam Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam records, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I love the woman on the album cover too! Yes, what a really fine movie. A New Wave Cinema Heavy....

Szeppelin75, Sam records and djost like this.
  2. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Finally have the opportunity to listen to this album. Compared to other audiophile reissue albums that I have, the quality of this pressing (no surface noise), jacket, OBI, and inclosed photo are excellent, if not better than excellent. The music of course is great. And, on my system, the sound quality is outstanding. I wish I had another version of this album to compare against, but I don't. So, please factor that into my comments. But, if I could only keep 5 records from my collection this reissue would be one of those five records. My only complaint is that the songs and album are not longer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Joti Cover

Thank you for your report on this....your impressions, praise and photos make me really want this one.
    I love Miles' music here as well...its as enchanting as anything he ever did.

Sam records, juanmanuel and djost like this.
  4. Sam records

Sam records Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for your post. The Miles is not at JRC. I'm waiting for news from Fred. You can find this on my site or Acoustic Sounds. All the best, Fred

5. Sam records

Hello, Non, car je n'ai pour l'instant plus de distributeur pour la France....difficile d'en trouver des sérieux.....donc si vous êtes à Paris, Croco Jazz, PJC ou Analog Collector...ou mon site. Bien Cdt, Fred

culabula likes this.
  6. Sam records

Hello, Thanks so much for your positive post and the photos!!!!! All the best, Fred

djost and Joti Cover like this.
  7. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just put in my order for the Miles 10". I'm really looking forward to hearing it - I am the proud owner of all the other Sam Records releases to date apart from the Chet EP which I missed out on. Long may Sam Records continue...

e.s., ssmith3046, Szeppelin75 and 4 others like this.
  8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Thanks for the great post. :ed:

djost likes this.
  9. Joti Cover

What is the title of the Chet EP? I wasn't aware that any of these were out of print.....
    These records are stunning, yes!

Sam records likes this.
  10. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Acousticsounds has it in stock. Chet Baker EP, Sam Records. Only 200 around the world!!. Go for it!!

11. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I have two Sam Records albums - Donald Byrd's Byrd in Paris and John Lewis' Afternoon in Paris. They both sound fantastic, really top notch pressings. Artwork and packaging is great as well. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

e.s., Joti Cover and Sam records like this.
  12. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

I just received my miles ascensceur. It is indeed excellent.

Szeppelin75 and Sam records like this.
  13. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Here are my first two Sam Records beauties. I have got to get more. :love:

[​IMG]

Sam Records' quality is amazing. Beautiful jackets, very very sharp and detailed images. Custom polylined inner sleeves and of course very good all analog mastering. The MM of the EU! :)

RiRiIII, e.s., Mlle. Aurora and 7 others like this.
  14. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Love your turntable!! It is a very good one, was made only a few miles (km) from where I live!! I have two Thorenses, one with a mono cart. I was able to listen to this album in true mono, which was a pure pleasure!!

djost likes this.
  15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Fred doesn't on his site anymore. May have to go for it

Sam records likes this.
  16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I fully agree. As I wrote in another thread about Sam Records, the soundtrack sounds so much better than the version Kevin Gray cut from a digital source for Sony a few years ago:
    https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Jazz-Track/release/5146525
    This is a fine example of the difference between an all analogue chain and source vs vinyl cut from digital. I'm going to keep the RSD to show friends the difference.

17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Fred, I just purchased from your website.

Sam records likes this.
  18. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

The material on both the Miles and Chet releases are top-notch. I have the 'Jazz On The Screen', the release from '65 (Au Bar du Petit Bac is a stand-out to me) with three added tracks by the Jazz Messengers. The Chet/1955 sides have Dick Twardzik on some challenging Bob Zieff pieces and IMO some of the best playing Chet ever did.

Sam records, kt66brooklyn and djost like this.
  19. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Thanks!

20. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

This is a magnificent reissue! From the packaging to the sound. Received mine today and I couldn't be happier. It's been a favourite jazz release of mine for many years. :love:

e.s., djost, Joti Cover and 1 other person like this.
  21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have always loved this album, so I definitely have to get this reissue at some point.

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

For those of us in the USA, ordering one title from Acoustic Sounds costs about the same as buying direct from Sam Records. However, if you order more than one title, the difference in shipping is about $10 cheaper ordering direct from Sam!

Joti Cover and Sam records like this.
  23. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

May I suggest going to the source? Perfect packaging and Fred is a lovely bloke. You won't go wrong.

Tommyboy, Joti Cover and Sam records like this.
  24. Joti Cover

Thank you!! Must do.

25. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

First off, do you know how lucky you guys are? Getting re-releases of, in some cases obscure, French jazz recordings. I always thought French and U.K. (even E.M.I.) studio tape recorders of this vintage were not as good as U.S., Ampex by default. As an example PYE studios in the U.K. went to the trouble and expense of using Ampex because of the known superiority.

I know there are exceptions, E.R.C are releasing Tommy Flanagan: Overseas (Over Cs) recorded by Metronome in Denmark and it is a very good recording.

Does Sam Records re-release based on sound quality, rarity and music quality or some combination? Just wonderin'.

Confession: I retired my Dual turntable ten years ago but I'm still interested in great recordings!

Sam records likes this.