The Who Quadrophenia Blu Ray Audio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1

That's where I finally got a good copy after going through 3 clunkers at Amazon.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Have had a Quad on Polydor/W. Germany in a double case forever but don't know much about it.

3. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

15 for the 2014 HFPABD Stereo layer - that's pretty good. Don't see a DR for the surround mix though. Now that I think of it I'm not sure its possible to calculate a DR value for a surround mix.

4. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

They don't get much higher than 15 (20 is the max). Very few get over 13.

5. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I was wrong. Max on this chart is 32. I don't know what the absolute max is. Does anyone? (and the Who disc w/ the highest DR rating is...Join Together (bleccchh!!) with a 16).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  6. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Out of stock there.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Finally, at last, I managed to rip the stereo original mix from the bluray disc :)
    Lovely.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The stereo remix on this release is also wonderful. It's the 2014 mix I think. I know it's no the original mix, but sometimes I enjoy hearing my favorites in a different way. I think they use a different Pete lean vocal on "I'm One" and it's wonderful.

10. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Is this a different vocal 'take' or different vocal 'mix'?

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I wrote a different vocal did I not?

I can't remember off hand, as it's been over six months since I listened to it. But I recall a different vocal, so it might be two vocals or three all mixed together to create a much different (doubled-tracked) sound, or it is in fact one vocal and it's a different take for much of the song.

When you say vocal mix, what do you mean? The entire thing is a remix, we are clear on that. So vocal is going to be a different "mix" by nature of the song being a remix, same vocal or not.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Does anyone like those Classic Album video where they pull up different parts of a song and let you hear isolated vocals or guitar, or piano, percussion, etc.? Is it not cool to hear those parts sounding often very different? Well, when I hear the 2014 remix of Quadrophenia, I get the same feeling, it's different, and brings out things differently. And that alt. vocal on "I'm One" is a great example of that difference I sometimes like to hear. Plus Pete's guitar work - both electric and acoustic are rather good in this tune.

dee, PhantomStranger and Jet Age Eric like this.
  13. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

My BluRay audio in the "Quadrophenia Live in London" box set lists FOUR versions (to be found in the menu):

a)2014 stereo PCM
    b)2014 surround DTS HD Master 5.1
    c)2014 surround Dolby True HD 5.1.
    d)1973 stereo

Vocals on "I'm One" on a)-c) are identical,d) is different from a-c!

dee and marcb like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Isn't it a great diff vocal! I need to study the reverb used on that track, it is also much different.

15. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

The different vocal does NOT have reverb,and is much more upfront,whereas the 1973 one is noticably more in the background and "surrounded" by rather discreet reverb.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's great isn't it, to hear this different but still wonderful vocal take, and the dry mix on it. I think the guitar is different too, maybe that is the part that is doubled up. I need to listen to night to it again, it's been a while.

17. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Are the two surround mixes the same or different?

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I don't hear a difference between the two but, I don't have the best hearing anymore.

19. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

No difference to my ears as well!

dee likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There aren't two surround mixes. Just one mix with two different lossless coding algorithms.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Haven't read this thread in quite some time so have some rereading to do.

The Dolby True HD surround sound sounds quite louder and or brighter to me vs. the DTS 5.1 surround, though I am just trying to listen to the default fold down mix to stereo. The bass guitar and or sound is quite recessed or diluted, imo, in this manner too.

Both the Tommy SACD and the Tommy DVD-A surround mixes are a much, much more interesting downmix, imo, that could 'deserve' a thread of its own but now revisiting this Quad 'downmix' it hasn't revealed as much as Tommy in this way, imo.

A couple remarks meant as questions: The last line or maybe 2 lines of the last verse of Helpless Dancer that Roger sings sounds different to what I remember them...

I 'don't remember' the vocal transition from the LROM sections into the Had Enough sections to be so quick. I thought there was a longer instrumental based transition of the multiple guitars leading into those "Had Enough" vocal sections...

Perhaps that info is in the thread. Anyway, fwiw at one time at the time of release I enjoyed tbis downmix but not as much now. Too much vocal for me that is at the fore. "I'm One" sounded kinda nice though as mentioned, as did the Sea and Sand and Drowned outros. They both seemed a tad longer or didn't fade as quckly from what I remember. With so many mixes of Quadrophenia it can be difficult to remember all the specific things from them.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Tommy DVD-A is top notch.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've noted exactly the same the first time I listened to it.

dee likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Found this disappointing after the Tommy 5.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.