New Show on AMC - Halt and Catch Fire - Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Watched the first two episodes tonight. Good start to the season. Was anyone here around and using online services in the 80's like Compuserve or Prodigy? Was Swapmeet a real company?

3. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Am I the only one who feels bad when Donna and Gordon fight? I just want to see Donna happy.
    Weird.

4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

This show really brings me back, especially this last episode:
    - the modem handshake sound
    - Commodore Amiga
    - Talking Heads
    - that party at Joe's apartment

bopdd likes this.
  5. agentalbert

I'm with you. Donna's the heart of the show for me.

Gary7704 and Mazzy like this.
  6. Wonder if he'll get as crazy as the real McAfee

7. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Wow! This week's episode (S3Ep6 "And She Was") is just about as perfect as you can get on tv.

bopdd likes this.
  8. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Liked the episode this week as well. The past couple of weeks have just been wrenching for me to watch (in a good way). All the bottled up emotions, unspoken subtexts, and the occasional mystery with many interpretations - these are all choreographed very elegantly. It's been interesting, but I'm ready for some tension to be released. Perhaps the ending of this week's episode bodes well for some fireworks in the coming weeks.

jpelg likes this.
  9. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

H&CF has been renewed for a forth, and final, season. I'm glad its back for a forth season as it will allow them to hopefully finish the story. Bitter/sweet as I now know that the next season will be the last. As many people have stated this show started quite slowly but season 3 has been marvelous. I'm really looking forward to the 2 hour season 3 finale later this week.

10. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Yeah this is such a quality show. I particularly like that they've toned down a bit of the soap opera-ish stuff from the first season and focused more on the technology. Sad to hear next season will be the last, but kind of amazed that it has lasted this long! Quality shows like this tend to only stick around a year or two.

Plinko likes this.
  11. agentalbert

I wish I could be watching this. Saw the first two. And episode #3 has never been made available in my On Demand menu. Not sure if that's AMC's fault or Time Warner's fault. Time Warner says they can only make available what AMC provides to them. I've written AMC three times, and received no response. I know I can watch it on the computer, but I don't like that. I want to watch TV on TV. Every other episode is available. I'm hoping they will just re-air the whole season once it ends, but so far nothing is on the schedule past the final two episodes airing tonight.

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I didn't realize that last week was the season finale. Kind of weird jumping ahead in time like that in that episode & not the start of next season. I think I enjoyed this season more than last. Less soap-operaish as someone mentioned.

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm still trying to figure out what cooled Gordon off from Donna so fast that night they were talking about camping. She said she was never really into it, and from that point, Gordon was super-distant starting the very next morning.

Is it simply the fact that by her telling him that, he didn't think he could trust her? If so, that seems pretty shallow of him - considering he had a bloody affair and all.

Am I missing something? My wife is just as stumped as I am about it.

14. ElvisRocks

ElvisRocks Well-Known Member

I think it is a great show and watched from the beginning. I remember these times and some of the gear they used. My first system was a Tandy Color Computer. Hooked to the TV and would load program from a cassette tape deck. Used to write programs using Basic. Those were the days.

bopdd likes this.
  15. inaptitude

I also found the leap ahead in time a bit off putting. Thought maybe I had missed a episode (or season!). But once I settled in I thought the finale was great! I was in my early teens during the early 90s and remember the whole internet thing coming into its own during that decade right before my eyes, so I find I can really connect with what's happening in the show on a personal level. Looking forward to next season!

ElvisRocks likes this.
  16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I suspect that they thought the show was not going to get renewed so wanted to create a satisfactory ending. Viewing figures have been low but, thankfully, AMC have now confirmed that H&CF will get a forth, and final, season.

ElvisRocks likes this.
  17. agentalbert

Just burned through episodes 3 to 10 to finish the season over the last two days. Fantastic! This show has gotten better every season. I liked it from the start, but during S1 there were some stretches where I didn't think I cared much if the show lasted or not. I'm really glad it has and that there will be another season. Given that it has never had good ratings, 4 seasons of this show is a gift. The acting is uniformly excellent. I can't think of a single main character where I think the actor or actress doesn't do a great job. I particularly think Kerry Bishe' is fantastic. Her character really connects with me to the point that when watching, I find my emotions follow hers. When she's happy, I feel happy. When she's excited, I feel excited for her. And when she's sad, it makes me feel bad. i hated seeing the way she was squeezed out of the group at the end and I'll surely be pulling for her against Joe, Gordon and Cameron though I doubt she'll come out on top.

I think here Gordon was hurt to find that something he really loves (camping) and thought they enjoyed together was really just enjoyed by him and that Donna secretly disliked it all the time. I don't think it was that he didn't trust her after that, just that he was hurt and felt like a bit of a fool always thinking it was something they enjoyed together. We know how important (camping) is to him by his dating video we see later on. He goes on and on about how much he loves camping in it, as it to make sure anyone interested in him knows that. There's also the possibility that his neurological issues or medication (and maybe being off them) played into his reaction, though I think its more the first point I made.

jriems likes this.
  18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Well I have watched 4 episodes o series one - is it worth sticking with? enjoying it in a slow tv kind of way so far

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yup, i think it's worth sticking with.

It's Felix likes this.
  20. inaptitude

Totally worth it. Each season is its own beast. Can't wait for the last one.

It's Felix, Craig and Wild Frank like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm late on this show. My brother has been telling me about for a while now but it took me ages to get to it.

I watched S01-03 over the past few weeks. Finished S03 tonight. I liked the series and I am looking forward to the last one to see how they wrap it up.

But I tell what my problem is with this show; I don't really care about any of the characters. The only two I care about are Bosworth and Gordon. The rest, I just look forward to them getting screwed over or screwing each other over. I don't want any of them to succeed. I'm looking forward to them crashing and burning as long as they don't take Gordon or Bosworth with them.

Cameron goes from tolerable to intolerable within the span of two minutes for me. At times I feel sorry for Donna and then I think she's getting what she deserves. But then when she seems to be getting the upper hand I'm glad. But I then realise I'm glad not because I want her to succeed but because I want the other characters to suffer.

Dark Mavis, Scotian and It's Felix like this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It's back! And off to an okay start.

23. inaptitude

Thanks for the heads up

Lonson likes this.
  24. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Thanks! I was unaware, and surprised it's apparently on Saturdays now. DVR set accordingly.

rockclassics and Lonson like this.
  25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

Didn't know it was back. Will definitely have to set the dvr.

Thanks for the heads up.

Lonson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.