Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The original Ben Hur was great but the new one was a complete flop ...

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, even the best label, and AliaVox is definitely one of those, can have an off day, but remember: you never know who's behind those Amazon reviews. I have no doubt the record companies have minions who spend their days overpraising their employers' wares as Amazon reviewers (much as I'm sure every manufacturer on the face of the planet has somebody whose task is to keep the Wikipedia entry suitably favorable). By the same token, some of those guys are probably instructed to trash the competition when they get a chance. And of course you have the random grumps who don't like something because it doesn't play well on their Crosley or isn't in the latest DDD sound (or *is* in the latest DDD sound) or was played by one of those upstart American orchestras instead of a good, dependable English one. I always take Amazon reviews with a healthy pinch of that NaCl stuff.

kantatenwerk and Marzz like this.
  3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 7 of the Living Stereo 60 CD Collection. Riding the warhorses tonight!

[​IMG]

Daedalus, ToddBD, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  4. coopmv

CD1 was excellent and it really has given me a totally new perspective on Malcolm Sargent. My only prior experience with his conducting was his Handel Messiah on cassette tapes, which with their somewhat grainy, mono sound hardly did any justice to his artistry ...

About half the box is English music, including Handel Messiah, this box is a gem IMO.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Simon A, Rushton and bluemooze like this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:laughup: That's what I thought too. :wave:

scompton likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I own this but I'm sorry to say that I haven't listened to the SACD layer, only the CD. But based on that, I would recommend it. Good luck. :)

7. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I believe this is the live broadcast performance (originally on the Everest/Baroque label) in which Gilels has a major memory lapse and the orchestra has to vamp until Gilels recovers.

Simon A and Daedalus like this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think the CD layer sounds fine as well. I bought it after Robin L heaped praise on it. It's a shame he's left the thread.

John S, drh and bluemooze like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that. Thanks! I only have the set Gilels did of the Tchaikovsky concertos with Maazel.

geralmar likes this.
  10. coopmv

These are all the Brandenburg Concertos by Karajan I have in my collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two CD sets and the LP set (the last set) may well be the same recording. The third set was recorded live in Salzburg in 1968 ...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Juan Matus, Simon A and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Converting a PAL tape to digital isn't that hard. but services to do it are even cheaper. A service called Southtree seems to charge $10 per tape.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Bach - The Three Sonatas For Viola Da Gamba And Harpsichord" performed by Leonard Rose and Glenn Gould from the Sony box set.

[​IMG]

Juan Matus, Simon A and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 12 from "Leonard Bernstein - The Symphony Edition" on Sony.

With the New York Philharmonic:
    Brahms - Symphony 4
    Chavez - Sinfonia India (Symphony 2)
    Diamond - Symphony 4

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Simon A, Mik and 1 other person like this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....Symphony No. 8 of this wonderful box set! Happy! :tiphat:
    [​IMG]

Juan Matus, ToddBD, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  15. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I did some quick research. Gilels' memory lapse is in the third movement. Kondrashin and the orchestra carry on by themselves for two minutes until Gilels recovers his memory.

Simon A and bluemooze like this.
  16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I have so many copies of these recordings - the 2-disc Masterworks Heritage edition, the two SACDs, and I think the DSD-mastered CD of the 8th and 9th as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wes H, Simon A, Mik and 4 others like this.
  17. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

I did not pay too much attention, doing stuff around the apartment, but I definitely will next time I play it and confirm! :tiphat:

geralmar likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Francesco da Milano - Intabolatura da Leuto" performed by Paul Beier on Stradivarius.

[​IMG]

19. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Wow, that's a long stretch!

geralmar likes this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 1 from "RCA Living Stereo Vol. 2".

"Beethoven - Concerto No. 1" performed by Arthur Rubinstein with the Symphony of the Air led by Josef Krips.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, ToddBD, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  21. kantatenwerk

kantatenwerk Forum Resident

Thousand thanks to all of you that have posted about my Marin Marais/Savall Boxset concern. :righton:
    I'm very glad to read that those you have it are happy with the sound of it.
    As I said and J.A.W. posted, as far as I know, Alia Vox takes special care on the quality of their releases, aesthetically and sonics, so I was quite surprised when I read that negative review about the sound of this new reissues.
    Btw, I guess the reviewer had his reasons, but I don't think he was a troll or something like that. In fact he ended the review saying that he started to search for the original vinyls of these releases, originally edited by the french label Astrée. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I wanted to ask here, because I know people on this forum takes special care about sonics quality.

And if I'm allow to give my opinion, Karajan could had been an excellent conductor for some particular composers & periods of music, but honestly, imho his vision of baroque music is not interesting at all. Ditto this with all the due respect to those who likes their baroque recordings.

For the Brandenburg concerts in particular, I warmly recommend a very recent reissue by Alpha label with the recording of this very popular Bach's work in a very freshly performance, by the ensemble Café Zimmermann

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Wes H, drh and 5 others like this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Haydn - Symphonies 22, 78 & 82" performed by the Stockholm Chamber Orchestra led by Esa-Pekka Salonen on Sony.

[​IMG]

Juan Matus, ToddBD, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This AM: CD 17 from the Decca Analogue box: Robert Schumann, Piano Concerto in A minor and Edvard Grieg, Piano Concerto in A minor, Radu Lupu, piano. Andre Previn conducting the London Symphony Orchestra.

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

:idea:
    Apparently he wasn't afraid of the woods-as is Woody Allen(?!?!).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    DeepFloyd11, Simon A and George P like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 9 from "Delius - 150th Anniversary Edition" on EMI.
    • Twilight Fancies
    • To be sung of a summer night on the water
    • To be sung of a summer night on the water
    • Wanderer's Song
    • Heimkehr (The Homeward Journey)
    • Twilight Fancies (Evening Voices)
    • Whither (Autumn)
    • The Violet
    • Whither
    • The Violet
    • I-Brasîl
    • Klein Venevil
    • Twilight Fancies (Evening Voices)
    • Cradle Song
    • The Nightingale
    • Irmelin Rose
    • So white, so soft, so sweet Is she
    • Le ciel est, par-dessus le toit
    • La lune blanche
    • To The Queen Of My Heart
    • Love's Philosophy
    • Caprice and Elegy

[​IMG]

Juan Matus, Simon A and Daedalus like this.