New Tricks (thumbs up for this Brit detective series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Doesn't seem to be a thread on this, and I wonder if may others on the Forum know of, or like it.

The theme is 3 retired coppers are brought back to join the unsolved crime unit. Naturally these days, their manager is a younger woman.

Apparently it's been going on for over 9 years, with some change in characters. Right now in Canada we are watching it on TVO.

Still using the same Hollyish theme song

four sticks likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

13 year's old.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It came to an end last year I think, watched them all from the stand alone pilot on and enjoyed it, they even managed to survive wholesale cast changes quite well, but I'd say the original lineup of Redman, Armstrong, Bolan and Waterman is best.

Daily Nightly likes this.
  4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have enjoyed watching it. Sadly, it has come to an end.

The theme song sounds like it "borrowed" a lot from the Traveling Wilburys' "End of The Line". But I can hear Buddy Holly too in it.

Traveling Wilburys - End Of The Line »

Daily Nightly likes this.
  5. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I liked the concept and enjoyed some of the episodes but I find British police procedural shows increasingly go for the grisly. I don't like that.

6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The first series actually started with The Wilburys' End of the Line. I guess the producers decided to cut down on expenses by using a sound alike track. One of the lead actors, Dennis Waterman, also likes signing the theme song for the shows he stars in. He started doing this in the late 70's with Minder.

As for the show itself, I'm a huge fan. the writing became a bit stale after a while but the formula was freshened up a bit and they got my attention back full on. I am in the minority who actually likes the last three series with the new lead characters. The writing was much tighter then.

four sticks and Adam9 like this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I found it hit and miss. At times the scripts became too silly; I can understand why Bolam (who takes his craft seriously) became peed off at what was happening. I also thought the last team was pretty decent and was suprised it ended when it did. I mean, it's not great TV and it's not particularly demanding, but it's entertaining in a Columbo kind of way.

8. John B Good

I haven't seen all of it, but the recent episode I saw, with 2 of the fellows dispatched to Glasgow, was very good.

9. John B Good

I rarely watch the gritty ones - New Tricks has a good element of humour, alternative with pathos, with a bit of grisliness here and there.

Sorry to read it is the End of the Line. :(

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That's the beginning of the final phase of the show and I thought that the writing had come back to a superior level. It's one of my favourite episodes as well. You have to admit that the chemistry between Denis Lawson and Dennis Waterman is really good.

four sticks and John B Good like this.
  11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Excellent show. I haven't seen the final series yet but watched the rest earlier this year.

I also enjoy DCI Banks, Inspector Lewis and Endeavor.

12. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If you don't mind watching older shows, try The Sweeney. I watched it after becoming addicted to Life On Mars (UK version) (which you will also enjoy, followed by its spin-off Ashes To Ashes) and it's still one of my favourite TV shows. There was no budget, but the cast was great and they shot the episodes on location and on 16mm film, which helps the gritty tone of the show. The soundtrack was made up of music library tracks and it's fantastic.

four sticks likes this.
  13. four sticks

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Simon A likes this.
  14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I have always loved this series. I'm also astonished that there hasn't been
    an American re-make. But then, we'd have to have old folks in a television
    show....and that's a no-go, apparently.

15. John B Good

There was a Canadian series called Cold Squad that was quite successful. There weren't many baby-faces in that one.

Simon A likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I love all 3 of the shows you mentioned. I will have to check this one out! :righton:

Simon A and four sticks like this.
  17. four sticks

If you like those shows, you won't be disappointed with New Tricks.
    Enjoy!

Simon A likes this.
  18. John B Good

The end of the series :(

It was good though.

four sticks likes this.
  19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

They've been saying it was ending for years so I think it was time to turn the page. Don't get me wrong, I'm huge fan of the Morse/Lewis/Endeavour series.

John B Good likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.