Between the Buttons: An underrated masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Curtis, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Awesome album and it always has a sense of 'new' to it. Endlessly playable, never boring. A lovely, charming album and a great diversion within their repertoire. (UK version)

2. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Here's something no one has asked yet. How does it stack up against these albums by other major British acts that were all released only one month earlier?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

tages and Lightworker like this.
  3. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

I love the US version of the album, but the two songs they removed are among my favourites.

"Please Go Home" is such a catchy song, especially the echoes after every "home".

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think that period that gave us Aftermath, Flowers and Between the Buttons in America is my favorite Stones period. Their most pop sound for sure.

rstamberg likes this.
  5. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I grew up with the US album & liked it a lot. Now i listen more to the UK album & i do like it better.

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

My goodness, I posted nearly the identical statement 10½ years apart! :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    stef1205, OldSoul and Matt Ellers like this.
  7. It pales compared to The Kinks and The Who albums. It beats the Hollies and I'm not familiar with the 4th record.

8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:-plnktn-: Here is that 4th record in it's entirety (it had different cover art in the UK):

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Should have came out summer 1966, more dated sounding than Revolver.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

I do that. On this kind of forum with these kind of interests I have often come across my own footprints without recognizing them. I have even written the same fan letter 7 years apart.:laugh:

Drifter likes this.
  11. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Don't know the Manfred album, but the only serious competition I see here is Face To Face, much as I enjoy the others. (Well okay, using the word "competition" damns The Kinks with faint praise)

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Who cares? That might be why no one has asked yet. I have all of those and still love Between the Buttons so it must stack up well. Comparisons are pointless between such different bands. I prefer The Who and The Kinks albums but don't see how that's relevant. All four of these albums sound different to each other and Between the Buttons sounds like none of them. It would be the same album if if was released around the same time as nothing but crap!

13. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

"As is" is an excellent album too. .I like the 4 plus B B...

tages and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

He didn't, Brian did. Andrew Oldham has stated at various points through the years it was Brian, Keith probably just mis remembered.

15. Pinstripedclips

It's using the yesterdays newspapers as metaphor for has been gf's etc. Who wants yesterdays girl!?

16. Pinstripedclips

Love As Is too!

tages likes this.
  17. Pinstripedclips

It matches them well, fits right in, a great collection of albums.

18. Pinstripedclips

Both covers were available in UK, no? I have a UK mono with the Klaus Voorman cover.

tages likes this.
  19. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

BTB is an amazing album. Brian Jones at his finest, including his use of the theremin on "Please Go Home." "All Sold Out" is a very underrated classic.

20. Pinstripedclips

It's not a theremin, it's an oscillator/sine wave generator. No info from those involved about who manipulated/played it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  21. beep

beep Senior Member

I just listened to BtB for the first time in maybe 48 years. Wasn't that impressed 48 years ago, not to impressed now. I played my US stereo copy bought new when the record was released. It probably has less than a half a dozen plays since new. It has some good songs, Miss Amanda Jones rocks. Ruby Tuesday sounds completely different from the other songs, fuller and seems to be recorder better. I am now playing my original Mono of Decembers Children. I guess I just like that era's work by the Stones better. To those that enjoy it I can't argue with you, different strokes for different folks.

22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The years gone by has only made me appreciate the 1966-67 period more and more.
    'Between The Buttons' and 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' are by no means masterpieces, buy they are indeed underappreciated.
    While 'Aftermath' gets more attention, I personally feel it is the weakest of the 3 records.
    And 'Flowers' remains the most comprehensive sampler of the whole period, though a few songs on it could have been substituted.

All Down The Line, DTK and TimM like this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

That's basically where Flowers is for, which is of greater necessity than the US BTB.

BTB (UK) is definitely one of the black sheep in the Stones catalogue, along with Satanic, Goats Head Soup, Black 'N Blue and Emotional Rescue. It's really a shame.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Could have been Mick. He was an early Moog owner, so he was not adverse to electronica.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Nehh.... Play the damn thing with Flowers programmed afterwards. ;)

Mick's his own worst critic.
    He practically invented the hipster.
    Nothing to see there, just walk on.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.