I've had enough of vinyl especially 'vinyls'. Can we go back to records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicrock, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Cuts it for me, and that's all that matters . . . to me. Yes, I grew up in the 50s and 60s; they were not always called "records." Some called them albums (or ablums,) some called them LPs, some called them records, some called them sides.

2. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Sam The Vinyl Man would have sounded really, really dumb

[​IMG]

Say likes this.
  3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

If you are complaining about the term vinyl being used instead of records it means you are old. Young people don't complain about words.
    One of hallmarks of NOT being cranky is too NOT complain about the term vinyl.

4. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Let's call the whole thing off....;)

SonicSorcerer and John B Good like this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I always call them records, sometimes LPs, and vinyl only when necessary.

6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I agree, records or albums thanks!

Vinyls, sounds like your talking about clothing or some other accessory.

In my neck of the woods there's a chain of retail shops, J B Hi Fi, Australian forumites will be familiar with the stores. They have traditionally sold music, CDs etc, mid fi stereos and recently extended to white goods. More recently they've started selling records, which I guess must mean that there is a resurgence in sales. Not that they have a clue about the value of certain records, much to my advantage, I've picked up brand new copies of Revolver in Mono, plus great new pressing of Axis: Bold As Love & the first Elvis album out of their bargain bin!! I almost giggled at the bemused look from the cashier when I bought them.

Anyway they are now selling turntables, but get this, they call them Vinyl Players. They started out selling a few awful portable Crosley like TTs, a Numark and a Sherwood TT. Then they went upmarket adding a Project Carbon & Audio Technica LP120 to their stocks. Still calling them all Vinyl Players, and charging AU$600 (about US$800) for the AT LP120!!!

But some of the signs they put on the equipment is priceless. On an overpriced Audio Technica LP60 they had the following emblazoned on a sign, with the aim of seducing you:

"Quality Vinyl Player Approved by Hipsters"

Talk about a self defeating marketing strategy.

iloveguitars likes this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That's so square!
    Heh.

8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark B. and John B Good like this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You know if enough native speakers agree that something is acceptable it quickly becomes "proper English":yikes:

What's even worse is the fact that even some Germans start to use the term "vinyls", the dumbest Anglicism of 'em all.

Me, I always liked to use the term "vinyl" but always hated its plural "vinyls" (or even better - but a rather German mistake: "vinyl's") But....hey....you can't stop changes. Not even in language. So: Let them eat vinyl's:goodie::goodie:

10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this is so strange, I was only just thinking myself, whatever happened to when people called vinyl 'records'??.
    I have always called them 'records' and since when I grew up, I never heard anyone call it 'vinyl'.
    this seems to be a new trend title from the 90's onwards I guess, because back in the day,
    NOBODY called 'records' 'vinyl'. While I have gotten used to it now, I still think I am a 'record' collector,
    not a 'vinyl' collector. I will always be a 'record' guy. I'm old school.

11. Never heard of record and CD being synonymous. Totally different formats.

"Vinyl" itself is not a proper definition of a record. I don't know about everyone else, but not all my records are made of vinyl and they come in all shapes and sizes.

Those who refer to records as "vinyls" are idiots and those who think a record could also mean a CD are very close behind them.

sparkmeister and DarkAudit like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed! I'm only adapting to the term so younger people know what I'm talking about. Don't know how the term was successfully introduced after using the word record since the beginning.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Jim B. likes this.
  14. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

PM me to learn what words I use to refer to various music formats, you might be surprised and delighted!

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:D

I was recently in a minor dispute with an eBay seller over an album purchase and repeatedly referred to the item as a "rekkid". I think it drove him a little batty.

Diamond Dog and iloveguitars like this.
  16. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I have to say that I had never heard (or, rather, read) the plural term 'vinyls' until I started frequenting this forum. I'm afraid I do use the word 'vinyl' occassionally, but I mainly used the term 'records' (my parents' generation called them 'gramophone records'). There was a time, of course, when it was cool to call them 'discs', and I used to use the expression 'on disc' in writing at one time, but not in speech.

But... what about 'needle' versus 'stylus'? Everyone seems to say 'needle' these days, but that was considered an old-fashioned term when I was young - the word 'needle' was used by the same people who said 'gramophone record'; you needed as 'stylus' to play a 'microgroove record'.

17. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Records managers and archivists would agree with you about the term 'records', but that wouldn't be the colloquial usage with which most of us are familiar (even though you're right).

When I was growing up, 'LP' was the usual term for a round 12" piece of black plastic (as opposed to black shellac). 'Record album' and 'album' were seen (rightly or wrongly) as American expressions, though the latter had become a common term in the UK by the time I was a teenager. At one time, my parents thought an album was an LP in a gatefold sleeve!

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Since you're so wary of public idiocy (very classy, by the way), a couple of points to help you think this through :
    A name doesn't define, it signifies. In that regard, the sort of metonymy implied by calling LPs "Vinyl" is perfectly valid and logical.
    However, there is nothing in the term "record" that pertains exclusively to sound reproduction, be it analog or digital.
    Your own post, for example, is a perfect record of your thinking skills, and there's nothing remotely musical about that, is there ?

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

And, Record Player or Turntable?

David Austin likes this.
  20. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I have 100's of LP vinyls! :D:realmad::D:cussing::cool::cussing::D:cool:

21. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Thanks for this!

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

How about:"wecckeds"

23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

In some regions you could say"that is one Wikked weccked!!"

24. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

If it has an adjustment for at least the VTF & anti-skate, then it's a turntable.
    Cheap Crosleys and the like are record players.

David Austin and John B Good like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

A record player is generally an all in one including amplification and speakers. (most Crosleys). A turntable is the actual playing device sold as a separate item and can include the pick up arm or have space to fit a separate arm. By it's nature it is a higher quality item than that found in integrated record players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.