Timothy B. Schmit new album, "Leap Of Faith" (09/23/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Timothy B. Schmit-- groundbreaking vocalist, songwriter and bass player from the legendary rock groups Eagles and Poco-- will release a solo album, Leap Of Faith, Friday, September 23 via Benowen Records. Recorded at his Los Angeles studio and co-produced with engineer Hank Linderman, Leap Of Faith is a strong mix of rock, country, Americana, R&B and even a bit of reggae.

Leap Of Faith marks the culmination of Schmit’s unhurried, yet inspired reflections of life. On his new album he goes further up the path he began to explore on his 2009 solo album Expando. “Again, I wanted to write this album on my own.” Timothy further explains, “In any collaboration one has to make a series of compromises. That’s not a bad thing, it’s simply not what I’ve chosen to do with this project. I’m just putting it out there, and maybe some of these ideas might resonate with listeners.”

Illuminated by an array of fine musicians and singers, Leap Of Faith plays like a multicolored corona around Schmit’s distinctive artistry. From the jaunty opening track “My Hat” to the soaring harmonies and heartfelt reflections of “This Waltz,” this is more than another album in a great artist’s catalog.

Often writing and recording between touring with the Eagles, this project took a little time, so the songs on Leap Of Faith seem to have a broad compass. “Slow Down” is a note to self on escaping life’s pressures coasting along on a reggae pulse sweetened by jazz giant Gary Burton’s vibraphone. “What I Should Do” has a Muscle Shoals feel; steamy, funky, and sensual. On, “Goodbye, My Love,” he takes us deep down into traditional country with Paul Franklin’s glistening steel guitar layered over the changes. And on “It’s Alright,” his most intimate song, Schmit needs only his own acoustic guitar to express profound love.

For all their diversity, these songs are bound by a candor and craftsmanship that are rare in today’s music. Schmit says: “I don’t feel confined by any outside perceptions about what I do. I just try to pull songs out of the ethers and shape them as they come, whatever the genre.”

Leap Of Faith is co-produced by Timothy and multi-talented friend Hank Linderman. “I hired Hank quite a few years ago to help me learn how to maneuver through my then-new demo studio. But as the studio grew I eventually chose to concentrate on my craft, so I put him in charge of the technical part, among other things. He is an excellent engineer, musician and singer.” Linderman has also worked both on the Eagles’ last studio album, as well as Don Henley’s recent solo project. Hank is essential to how Leap Of Faith sounds and feels. “For instance, on ‘My Hat,’ I told him I wanted him to play the solo, but to do so in a very simple manner. He ended up playing something I would never have dreamed of, and yes, it’s simple and beautiful.”

“Over the last ten years or so, I’ve felt like I’m finally getting the hang of what it is I do best,” Schmit sums up with his knack for wry understatement. “Although this project took some time to complete, this is what I came up with… This is who I am. This is a Leap Of Faith.”

Hep Alien, milankey, Karsten and 2 others like this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Interesting that Linderman also produces Robert Lamm. The tour for Lamm's "Living Proof" album was released on DVD as "Leap of Faith".

Schmit also sang background on Lamm's "Subtlety & Passion" album.

3. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, Hank Linderman also appeared on some songs of Schmit's album "Feed the Fire".

Thanks to the original poster for the new album news.

4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Is Steurat Smith on it?

melstapler likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Didn't Timothy release an album during the 80's (IIRC, the cover shows him with a short haircut). I'm not familiar with any of his solo work, nor do I have a sense of his ability as a principle songwriter. I am sure it will be a professionally presented album, but I am skeptical that it will be anything more than a curiosity.

6. pghmusiclover

His last album "Expando" from 2009, was most excellent!

Hep Alien and stever like this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Nice album cover

melstapler likes this.
  8. pghmusiclover

9. pghmusiclover

Someone on Facebook asked if there was a vinyl release planned (since the pre-order links are only for digital or CD), and he/someone on his team responded "Yes. Stay tuned for release details."

Further likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

looking forward to this one........if you are interested, i'd suggest getting it early, schmit's CD's tend to go OOP rather quickly

11. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

He did one called Playin' It Cool that had some good tracks on it. A few would've worked very well on my pretend Eagles double album from 1982.

siveld likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

schmit's entire discography is worth getting, if you can find them.

he has also down quite a few one-offs throughout the years and has a plethora of appearances as a back-up vocalist for others.

some of his one-offs are very very hard to come by these days.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

question:

does anyone know if there is going to be a physical CD of this album? the release date is 3 weeks away and there is only a mp3 pre-order up on amazon and nothing anywhere else.

melstapler likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

So far I only see the CD available at his online store:

Timothy B Schmit : Leap of Faith CD Softpack »

melstapler likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump

16. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

You're thinking of his R & B flavored album, Timothy B. The album spawned a Top 30 hit with "Boys Night Out". The album was not embraced by many long time Poco and Eagles fans. It was geared to 80s pop radio. Tim has said in interviews over the years that, musically, his first love is R & B, and you can hear that on the record.
    His first solo album was more in line with where Eagles were going with The Long Run. "Tell Me What You Dream" from the album was covered by Restless Heart and gave them a #1 AC single and a pop hit. His third album, Tell Me The Truth, abandoned the R & B direction of Timothy B. His 4th album, Feed The Fire is more acoustic and is probably his best solo album.
    I will say that beginning with Poco's From The Inside through Indian Summer, I could always depend on Tim to come up with songs I always liked a lot.

Hep Alien, keyXVII and melstapler like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does anyone have any information on "leap of faith".

is it going to be released on CD?

is it going to be available at amazon, best buy etc?

is the CD they are selling at schmidt's website a silver CD or a CD-R?

thanks

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

bump

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this is almost to the point of being ridiculous:

2 emails

another follow up email

a post on his facebook page asking about the physical CD and if the website CD is a CDR

not one reply, anywhere.

why have a contact tab on your website if you are not going to respond?

so, there is basically still no information about this release other than the download at amazon.

and they wonder why no one is buying music.

20. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Maybe just take a chance and order it from his website. If it ends up not to your liking, turn around and sell it.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i probably will if never shows up anywhere else, but still, don;t you think they could at least answer their emails?

22. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Happens a lot. I sent e-mails to Kenny Loggins website asking what versions of Nightwatch & Keep The Fire they were selling on the website. I wanted to make sure they were the actual 1980s Columbia CDs. No response ever. Even posted on his Facebook to 'check your website e-mail'. Was completely ignored. Ended up buying perfect condition copies of them off Ebay.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

released today 9 - 23

it is on spotify

amazon says it will be in stock on monday 9-26\

best buy says it will ship in november?????????

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'm interested... what else was on it?

25. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

Ordered it from Import CD's at a very reasonable cost....Anxious to receive it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.