Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I'll try to help you a little bit. Apart from the debut (which is just average, let's face it), I've listed some of the bonus cuts from each of the others that may help you decide.

Kinda Kinks
    Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
    Who'll Be The Next In Line
    Set Me Free
    I Need You
    See My Friends
    A Well Respected Man
    Such A Shame
    Don't You Fret
    I Go To Sleep
    There's A New World Just Opening For Me
    This Strange Effect

Kontroversy
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Sittin' On My Sofa
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    Mr. Reporter
    Time Will Tell
    All Night Stand

Face To Face (mono)
    Dead End Street
    Big Black Smoke
    This Is Where I Belong
    She's Got Everything

Face To Face (stereo)
    This Is Where I Belong
    Big Black Smoke
    She's Got Everything

Something Else (mono)
    Act Nice And Gentle
    Mr. Pleasant
    Susannah's Still Alive
    Autumn Almanac

Something Else (stereo)
    Susannah's Still Alive
    Autumn Almanac
    Sand On My Shoes

Arthur (mono)
    Plastic Man
    This Man He Weeps Tonight
    Mindless Child Of Motherhood
    Creeping Jean
    Lincoln County
    Hold My Hand

Arthur (stereo)
    Plastic Man
    This Man He Weeps Tonight
    Mindless Child Of Motherhood
    Hold My Hand
    Lincoln County
    Mr. Shoemaker's Daughter
    Mr. Reporter

I haven't included any alternate versions of album tracks, but rest assured, there's plenty of them. I also haven't included the Lola/Percy deluxe, which has the previously unreleased gem, "Anyday".

I hope this helps. Personally, I think that Kinda Kinks, Kontroversy and Arthur have the best bonus material.

2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Why have you started all this again? Wasn't a truce called a few pages back?

There seemed to be some kind of consensus that the DEs has some terrific bonus tracks but were very poorly mastered, especially compared to the PRTs.

This is what my ears initially told me and then that was confirmed by the figures here:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database »

(just order the list chronologically and the evidence is stark, not to say, unarguable.)

So why have you re-opened the debate?

tonewheeltom and Jason Michael like this.
  3. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Actually, after a little more thought, I think I would buy the first one and then get them chronologically. As stated above, it's not the strongest album, but it's a lot of fun, and the bonus tracks are often better than the album proper. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that one. It is interesting to watch the band develop, and witness Ray's song-writing mature. And as you seem to prefer the latter material, I'm sure you'd appreciate how far they came in such a short time.

davenav and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It's noticeable even on the second album. When you listen to the deluxe issues of the first 2 albums back to back, Kinda Kinks is a massive step forward.

davenav likes this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Re-opened? GreenGringo wouldn't let the debate be closed. I wrote two extremely excessive posts detailing why none of his arguments hold any water and he continued throwing a tantrum.

Also the post you quoted was sarcastic, but I think I forgot to include the smiley icon of the guy rolling his eyes.

I appreciate that you are able to express your distaste for these CDs in a much more civilized manner than the other guy, but the fact remains that everybody hears things differently, and while the SQ may bother you, it might not bother some of us. And evidently it doesn't. Are they objectively perfect? Far from it. Butfor some of us, the trade-off offsets the inconvenience.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Any deluxe edition is worth it. Bonus tracks are great

wayne66, davenav, pobbard and 3 others like this.
  7. This.

Shawn, davenav, pobbard and 2 others like this.
  8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

There was no truce. I have a feeling that it was instead a forceable removal from the thread.

tkl7, rstamberg, GetHappy!! and 2 others like this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

Them's fightin' words :wantsome::nyah:

I've yet to be let down by any deluxe edition myself. I always find the inclusion of bonus tracks offsets any inconvenience with mastering - provided I like the music anyway, but I probably wouldn't buy a DE if I didn't...

Dave Hoos and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

Wow, thanks. I missed this post before. I appreciate the list. Can't wait to check these tunes out... once I get my router fixed! :realmad:

davenav and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Ok will do thanks for the link.

12. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

This is a perfect example of why posts should not be removed; people arrive late to the conversation, and the flow is disrupted and distorted. And if we can't have it that way, at least let the member's removed post have a placeholder - a post with "comment deleted" or some such wording. I know I've come into the middle of a thread many a time and realized references were made to deleted posts.

...And I'm not talking about posts trashing Steve Hoffman's work, I fully understand he's off-limits.

Dave Hoos and warewolf95 like this.
  13. Jason Michael

Getting back to the music of the Kinks, are there any bonus tracks from the 1998 Castle reissues that are exclusive to those editions, and not available in the current reissue campaign?

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The only exclusive track is a stereo mix of an instrumental, Little Women, found on the 1998 Face to Face. It appears in a mono mix only in the Deluxe Edition of Something Else. Oh yes, and there is an alternate mix of Lazy Old Sun only on the '98 Something Else.

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I guess one good thing this thread does for those who do care about sound quality is that its pretty clear that these deluxe editions are not the ones to go for. Seems they arent as bad as the 98s, but thats not saying much. Im glad the discussion was able to bring out that point.

Im thankful for the vinyl reissues. I hope one day Kevin or Vic get to work on the earlier Kinks albums for cd.

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I don't concede that at all.

Sure, I like the PRT's, but the the DE's are a fine alternative. This conversation has convinced me of one thing though - DR measurements are not the end-all be-all in the grand scheme of things.

The DE's have brought me hours of enjoyment, with no ear fatigue whatsoever. I recommend them as heartily today as the day this thread was started.

17. Jason Michael

Thanks!

18. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

It really depends on which period of The Kinks you prefer. They all have great bonus trax...

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I wouldnt know how to measure a DR if you gave me a measuring stick. Ive heard one of the deluxe versions. Thats what I base my comments on.

Shvartze Shabbos, Mazzy and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. marmil

I will ask this question again: What in the name of all things holy happened to the rest of the Kevin Gray-mastered Kinks LPs after Face to Face?

21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Everybody's In Showbiz (Legacy Edition)

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  22. marmil

I meant the Pye/Reprise stuff. Weren't we promised Something Else, VGPS, Arthur and Lola (or at least some of them)?

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well, since that's used as the primary argument against the DE's, and you cite this thread as a sort of concensus, all I can say is I completely disagree. I would enthusiastically say get the DE's.

24. They are on Ray Davies savings time :tiphat:

marmil likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think its been more like one guy pressing the issue about DRs which I can understand to be a bit much in the approach. And the concensus Ive seen at least in the last few pages, ironically enough, comes mainly from the supporters of the DEs. Who, again though they say they are happy with them for various reasons, admit that they do have failings in the mastering area.

If you are suggesting to me to get these, Id have to say Ill be passing. Bonus tracks, though cool as they are, arent enough icing to cover the flavor of the cake for my ears.

bobcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.