The ebay.com CD page is screwed up.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I noticed some changes to the ebay.com CD page this morning. These changes were made overnight. Currently, I am not see the checkbox to search titles and descriptions on the main CD page. You now have to click "Advanced" to find this checkbox. They've done this before, but it's been awhile. Hopefully they will undo this yet again and return the checkbox to the main page.

Even worse is that the search feature is not working properly. I just ran one of my standard searches for Japanese CDs, and eBay returned many titles not meeting the search criteria. It's a mess at the moment. :sweating:

I just reported the above issues on the eBay feedback page, which is found by clicking "Tell us what you think" at the bottom of the CD page. It may not work, but I had to try it.

Simon A likes this.
  2. KeithH

Out of curiosity, I opened the ebay.com CD page in a Google Chrome incognito window. There I see the search titles and descriptions checkbox. So I thought that AdBlock and/or Ghostery were causing an issue in a regular Chrome window. So I disabled one extension at a time and then both at the same time, and nothing worked. No checkbox.

I see the checkbox in Microsoft Edge.

On the plus side, the search function seems to be working in a regular Chrome window now.

chazz101s likes this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I saw some comments on another forum earlier today that indicated that eBay had (either deliberately or inadvertently) changed something in the search algorithm so that the default behavior was to search the item descriptions instead of just the item titles. I also noticed that quite a few of my saved searches suddenly showed up today with anywhere between dozens and thousands of what I'd consider to be "false positive" hits. This has happened before, but it's usually affected only one or two saved searches, and things went back to normal within a day. Hopefully they roll back whatever changes they implemented that caused this, as the result is unusable.

chazz101s likes this.
  4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

"false positive" hits.
    Got this this morning on my daily update listing for a title and thought wtf??

chazz101s likes this.
  5. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Great description - and exactly what has happened to me the last couple of days. (Wonder how many eBay folks worked how many hours to create this mess?)

6. KeithH

The search function was working better last night, but maybe it was a function of the searches I was running. Various searches I ran this morning gave false hits. It's a mess.

Also, I saw the search descriptions checkbox in the Chrome incognito window last night and earlier this morning, but now it's gone.

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I wish they'd devote as much effort to enabling a significant bump upward in the cap on the number of saved searches users are currently allowed to have.

chazz101s likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought it was just me! I've been getting some weird search results myself today and yesterday.

9. KeithH

Things got back to normal a couple of days ago. The ebay.com search engine is working properly, and the search descriptions checkbox is back. :)

eddiel and superstar19 like this.
  10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thanks for the info Keith. I noticed over the weekend that most of my searches were coming back with some crazy listings.

11. KeithH

No problem. Yeah, it was a real annoyance for a few days.

superstar19 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.