So... what's next for Rolling Stones "Deluxe Editions" CD's??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

Please; no more "live" stuff, all of it sounds the same and there is no mystique or freshness to it.
    Deluxe packages are the only ones that sell, as new material does not generate revenue; as it gets ripped off.

Fullbug and milankey like this.
  2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Even if you actually had any evidence to back it up, I'd guess it would indicate that the live "stuff" sells very well. Eagle Rock most certainly isn't in the business of supporting loss leaders...especially not MULTIPLE releases of losers.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Part of what they use for Tattoo You would depend upon how many more they plan on releasing. For example Criss Cross Man/Mind might be held back for a Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition and so on. I thought I read on IORR that someone posted the next one is already finished and it is either Tattoo You or Goats Head Soup. In addition, they also have alternate takes they could release like they did with Sticky Fingers.

Dave Hoos and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  4. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

One thing about the Rolling Stones: unlike Led Zeppelin, they always had extra material a-plenty.

And if you are in doubt about that, check out the 10 CD Voodoo Lounge outtake set...... not only is there a mind-bending amount of unused material: it's all good, too.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

More live stuff, please!

Carserguev and bonus like this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Same with Some Girls. The outtakes are as good if not better than the album itself.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like the b-sides Fancyman Blues, Wish I'd Never Met You and Cook Cook Blues better than a lot of the tracks on here.

8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Me too John. They could have included them all.

9. Dave Hoos

I used to think so too, but it's actually grown on me over the last year or so. It's still nowhere near it's immediate predecessor, Aftermath, but there's plenty on there I do like. Like...

Yesterday's Papers
    Back Street Girl
    Who's Been Sleeping Here?
    All Sold Out
    Miss Amanda Jones
    Complicated

The rest are pretty much between poor and mediocre, but there's half a great album there. In my opinion.

10. Dave Hoos

Yes. Particularly the last three songs.
    Nice of you to say. It had been a while since I've played it and, if nothing else, it's given me a newfound appreciation for "Blinded By Love".
    Except A Bigger Bang. Even the Keith sung songs on that aren't much, I don't think. "Infamy" is okay, I guess.

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Infamy is an embarrassing play on words that is not clever and is not cute.

Rough Justice has an opening line that is an embarrassing play on words that is not clever, not cute, and not well delivered.

driverdrummer likes this.
  12. Dave Hoos

No, but it is kinda funny, in a Benny Hill sort of way.

13. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Aftermath", "Between the Buttons". I'm so fond of the mid-60s. I still don't mind "Emotional Rescue". I like the jam feel.

14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

OK Beave...I just did this and WOW! You were right...I have fallen in love with SW all over again!!!

15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Did you alter the pitch or the speed -2.3%?

16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Both. Beave did it with a turntable so I assumed his "pitch" was speed and the resultant pitch.

Oh and I did not fade any of the cuts early as he did.

17. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Thanks -- it sounds pretty good when I only alter the pitch -2.3. Much more natural.

When I alter both the speed and pitch it still sounds slightly slow to me. It definitely needs to be slowed a bit so that the vocal sounds more natural -- I'll play around with the speed to get it to where my ears like it best.

That being said -- it definitely sounds better with some of these alterations.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  18. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I like the slower speed too. It tamps down the frenetic feel of the record a bit.

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

It's nothing remotely close to retched, it's just not blues based like most of their other stuff. The songs and unique instrumentation are awesome, and showed they're not just a one-trick pony.

Mark

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. Mark Wilson

Cook Cook Blues was a SW b-side? Huh, I thought that one had only showed up on boots.

Mark

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It was the b-side of Rock and a Hard Place

Dave Hoos and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

B-side of A Rock And A Hard Place. You might be thinking of the Mick Jagger outtake Too Many Cooks.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Mark Wilson

Oh ok thanks. I haven't gotten around to exploring the 90s-00s singles that deeply. Eventually.

Mark

24. Mark Wilson

Thanks John. No I was thinking of Cook Cook, I just thought people had heard it from those humungous 3 disc boot sets that seem to exist for all the later albums. Didn't realize it had come out officially.

Mark

John Fell likes this.
  25. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Agreed, better than Tattoo You imo

mbrownp1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.