Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm wondering what will happen with these? The 2012 CDs were pretty much the same as the old Ryko versions, except for "Weasels", which was remastered by Bob Ludwig, and "Hot Rats", which was remastered by Bernie Grundman in 2008. But then you have "Lumpy Money". And "Greasy Love Songs". And the dubious condition of the master tapes for some of these. Hmmmm.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Lumpy Money didn't include the final Verve version of Lumpy Gravy. I'm also curious if they will remaster it, or use the 90's version that generally sounds good but has the section in mono by mistake.

3. Just too bad that Gail had Herb Cohen brushed out from the photo of the inner sleeves; it's re-writing history!

I hope that "Burnt Weeny", if it ever comes out, will include the wonderful large B&W poster of the original edition.

4. danner

danner Forum Resident

At least that was subtle compared to the treatment Don Preston got in the Carnegie Hall liner notes.

John Bliss likes this.
  5. What was that about? I've never seen it.

6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

If they've got a good tape for Only ... Money, I'm going to be in heaven. That album sounds like crap on CD, and finding a clean original ain't so easy or cheap.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've got a pretty clean 'original' but I know my copy has some of the censored sections. I'm curious as to which version they are going to use. The uncensored original mix (if there is one I don't know), the edited old mix.... or the uncensored version like on the Ryko CD that I think has some modern overdubbing.

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

There's no uncensored original mix in existence. It will end up being what's on the Ryko CD (not the one with the modern bass and drums - the uncensored bits on there were largely re-created for that release).

9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have an old school Hot Rats but it will be cool to get a fresh n' clean one that's well mastered. Glad to find this out before the drop date.

John Bliss likes this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, some of us got Hot Rats today. I'll be spinning mine when I get home from work.

Anyone else have a chance to check it out yet?

latheofheaven, John Bliss and scotth like this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine arrived today via Amazon.

John Bliss likes this.
  12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Got mine too. Just about to put it on the cleaning machine and the turntable when I saw the thread update!

John Bliss and rstamberg like this.
  13. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I did notice Bernie Grundman's initials this time instead of Chris Bellman's. No bother. Both are equally great. But I'm surprised Bernie had the time with all of the Pink Floyd reissues.

Edit: The jacket says something about Bernie remastering in 2008. Could this be a new plate of the Classic Records cut that Bernie did? The deadwax follows in line with the current releases. But maybe its the exact same master.

John Bliss, rstamberg and Ben Adams like this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's spectacular. Another first-class reissue.

15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Buttery smooth and flat this hot rats.

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got the Hot Rats release yesterday and it is exactly the same as the Classic Records cut. The written stuff in the deadwax is exactly the same as the Classic issue (so if I knew that I wouldn't have purchased this new pressing). The differences in the new pressing are the computer entered matrix numbers in the deadwax, which I assume were put there by Pallas (who pressed the new pressing). The written stuff in the deadwax is:

BG with RS-6356-A
    BG with RS-6356-B

And both of those match exactly to my Classic pressing as to placement in the deadwax.

So I guess I was a guinea pig - and can probably state (without comparing both in a listening test), that if you already have the Classic Pressing - you don't need the new Zappa pressing (unless you are a completest collector).

17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Well, you may not have heard Hot Rats on 180 gram vinyl before, my Classics are 140 and 200 gram :)

John Bliss and rstamberg like this.
  18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Hoping to have my Hot Rats soon. If it's the same as the Classic that's actually great news for me. This is a much more affordable way to hear it.

John Bliss likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

[QUOTE="MikeT, post: 14925558, member: 149"The written stuff in the deadwax is:

BG with RS-6356-A
    BG with RS-6356-B

[/QUOTE]
    Are those the original Bizarre/Reprise numbers?

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yup, thrilled this is the Classic version. And the vinyl is DEAD QUIET.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My original has

T 1 RS 6356 A 30926-2
    T 1 RS 6356 B 30927-2

rstamberg likes this.
  22. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the original press to the Classic or new pressing?

John Bliss likes this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Thanks!

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It *is* the Classic Records pressing, apparently.

John Bliss likes this.
  25. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I know, that's why I want to know how they compare to the original.

rstamberg likes this.