MONKEES - 2016 , what happened?? has Rhino let the fans and the band down?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Since Peter played so many instruments on that album, Mike would've been left watching if he'd played guitar too. (Plus, the sound of Mike playing lead rock guitar, something he never really does, was one of the oddly fascinating things on that record).

Grand_Ennui, rstamberg and BadJack like this.
  2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

And here's me thinking this was a mature (albeit ridiculous) discussion about a band, but it seems we are actually taking sides like it's one of those Twilight movies.

3. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

So wait a moment...we can't have opinions or sides or beliefs or anything because this is the magical Monkees bubble where everything is pizza and fairy tales and if we say anything bad about them or challenge them as a group or individuals or Rhino or Andrew or John or anyone associated with the band on any level it violates up the balance of said magical bubble?

Get real.

xeplica likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Because he doesn't need the money? I doubt very much that Mickey or Peter (or Davy)'s primary motivation for performing in the Monkees since 1986 has been to "give back." They do it mainly to make money. On the occasions when Nesmith has chosen not to tour (including this year), I presume it was because he did not want to do it and did not think he would enjoy it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go see a performer who doesn't want to be onstage and doesn't enjoy what he's doing, nor do I think it would result in a particularly good show. If he's not into it, better he stay home.

Grand_Ennui, Rocketdog and npgchris like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Of course you can have opinions that challenge or attack The Monkees or their management. But then others have a right to challenge and attack your opinions too. It's a two-way street. It's like the old bogus "freedom of speech" argument we sometime see from controversial media figures. Someone says something controversial, and when people attack it he says "they're trying to take away my freedom of speech." No. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to say whatever you want without getting criticized or suffering consequences if you say something others dislike.

6. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

That's just silly circular conversation because it was a given that we should have that opportunity to speak freely from the get go. *I* was the one that got challenged, not the other way around.

7. 905

905 Senior Member

And of course Mike and Peter worked together after the 1997 fiasco, and they will work together after 2016 I'm sure.
    All four Monkees bonded when they ate at the diner and Davy ate salad with his hands.

8. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

In 1965? Come on. It's okay that they don't get along. I don't care. None of us should.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

So I still haven't heard what the big deal was about that AXS show or whatever it was, that was so atrocious. Somebody asked if it was the mix that was so bad, and somebody said "It was more than that". So what was the problem?

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I don't think that he was saying that you don't have a right to your opinion...I think he was saying that anytime people go "I'm Team So-And-So!", they run the chance of coming off like a 16 year old.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

You seem to be mistaking having your opinion criticized/challenged with having your opinion suppressed. No one here has suggested the latter should occur. You have a right to say whatever you want, but you don't have a right to expect your opinions will be exempt from criticism.

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

There is no "bubble". We just don't have steam coming out of our ears and bloodshot eyes like you do. Calm down, you're going to hurt yourself.

Rocketdog, npgchris and mrbobdobalina like this.
  13. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

But you're insisting that three guys who don't get along tour together because they "owe" the fans somehow?

Sounds a little selfish to me...

14. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I was glad that Nesmith did a full tour with them and I got to see him twice. I did not expect him to keep performing with them on a normal basis.

15. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Exactly. One takes advantage of opportunities when they are presented, as I did in 2014. Anybody that feels Nesmith "owes them something" is delusional.

16. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I also really like the new album and thinks that the blu-rays look great. For me, personally, it has been quite a good "Monkees year".

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

It's beyond delusional, it's nonsensical. Everybody that knows anything about Monkee history would not even BELIEVE what has happened in the last few years. We are incredibly lucky that Mike toured and recorded with them recently. THAT'S already a gift in my book.
    The Monkees need Mike more than Mike needs them, plain and simple. He's had a great run as a solo artist and has proved to be one of the best American songwriters in Pop. He owes us nothing. We owe HIM our respect to allow him to do whatever he pleases. The whining and anger on this thread is the height of immaturity.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, sounds like another case of fanboy entitlement to me.

I don't have any illusions about these guys and do not live in a "magical Monkees bubble". Peter and Mike sound like they can be pretty prickly and they both seem to feel some ambivalence towards the old Monkees legacy. People are complicated that way, but I don't feel compelled to pick sides. When you consider all of the mixed feelings and personality conflicts, I'd say that it's that much more miraculous that we got such a strong new album out of them this year.

19. mrbobdobalina

I got to see Mike perform "Tapioca Tundra" LIVE with Micky & Peter. We got "Me & Magdalena", "Hipster", and "I Know What I Know" in addition to all his backing vocals on the pop tracks. Personally, I'm good -- if we get any more, great, if not, we already got plenty.
    These guys, Mike included, have all said they're basically like brothers. And like with any family, there are people you love that annoy the hell out of you.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I agree!
    Just listen to what Michael Nesmith's layin' down all through "It's Not Too Late" on JUSTUS. Cream-era Clapton's got nothin' on that!

By the way, I'm very glad I went to see all three remaining Monkees on their tour together a few years back. Back then, I just had a feeling I'd better go 'cause it was hard enough to believe Nesmith would tour with them in the first place. And now he says he's bailing for good this time around. I hope he considers recording with them again ... He really helped make GOOD TIMES! as good as it is.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

While he doesn't owe me anything, I would dig an autographed vial of liquid paper. He must have tons of that stuff laying around that was produced before decent quality printers became affordable.

rstamberg likes this.
  22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yup. Did I ever think I'd see Mike sing Door Into Summer ever in my life??? Nope. But I did! That's freaking amazing.

I'm also going to his final show at Pantages and relish every moment. It's bittersweet, no doubt, but I think it's a GREAT time to be a Monkee fan. We've gotten more than we deserve.

bluejeanbaby, JuanTCB and rstamberg like this.
  23. mrbobdobalina

Looking forward to your report on that. As far as "Door Into Summer", they hadn't added that to the set list when I saw them, so I didn't get to see that.
    These guys have been a part of my life since I was 8 years old -- I discovered the Beatles, Stones, etc via the Monkees. I became a lifelong music addict because of the Monkees. So they've already given me plenty, and I thank them for it every day.

monkeetrade, I333I and npgchris like this.
  24. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Mike deserves to do what he wants to do , but as a Monkees fan just disappointed that he isn't touring with Micky and Peter for The Monkees
    50th. I just assumed he was going to join the 50th anniversary tour in progress after his book was finished , and now
    he says he's done with them and going to do a book tour and solo gigs instead.

25. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Mike wanted to plan a festival sometime at the end of the year. Micky and Peter just signed to go to Australia and NZ at the end of the year for their tour. Why is it Mike's fault?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.