I've had enough of vinyl especially 'vinyls'. Can we go back to records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicrock, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

In the Dutch language LP became elpee really quick.
    How many elpees do you have?

David Austin likes this.
  2. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Well said! Truly, if the Declaration of Independence needed to be rewritten you are the man we would call on, for as John Adams said to Thomas Jefferson, "You write so much better than I.".

:biglaugh::laughup: That one made me laugh. Your reticence at the prospect of dragging yourself through the mud will be noted and discussed in your annual evaluation.

These threads always make me think of one thing; how many of us wear spectacles? Do we not wear glasses? Do we not drink out of glasses?

I too deplore the sound of "vinyls" but that's too bad for me. Language changes. Do I change with it or do I calcify linguistically?

Sternodox and JustVinyl like this.
  3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Album is a format having selection of recordings on it covering differing media such as cassettes, cds not just a record as distinct from a single which I've always called a 45 in its vinyl form. You may prefer records or 'rikkids' to some of us but I see no reason for the extreme views as we know what is meant to vinyl and vinyls and that is what matters in everyday conversation.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've had both, and didn't know it!

5. Say

Say Forum Resident

Class, this is assignment #2 from your syllabus.

- Fill in the blank.

[​IMG]

Wow! Jimmy has a nice __________ collection.

David Austin likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I have completed the exam.

808_state, Gaslight, crispi and 3 others like this.
  7. Say

Say Forum Resident

and you have earned a gold star for that answer.

jon9091 likes this.
  8. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I always say "LP" rather than vinyl as I'm also not a fan of that particular term. Sometimes you ask "are you looking for the CD or the LP"? and they go "no, the vinyl"... Not so fantastic. I also use "records" - don't know how "album" fits into this, sometimes you can talk about a "great album" that has e.g. only come out on CD.

BTW: Is that Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. to the right of Jimmy holding the album? (orange snippet on sleeve)

9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I call them Gramophonic Sound Discs.

Those pesky young people don't know they're born!

Bigbudukks and David Austin like this.
  10. I think that Edison may have coined the term "record" with the introduction of his phonograph, which was initially invented to record voice for dictation. I believe Berliner was one of the first to introduce the flat discs, which were referred to as a record. Edison called his flat records "Diamond Discs". So, "record" is the proper term pertaining to an object containing recorded sound which has grooves and a stylus or needle is used to "cut" and play back, through vibration, that recorded sound. This does not apply to CD's, which are grooveless and have digital bits of information embedded in them and reproduction is achieved through a reflective light system. Both records and CD's accomplish the same result, but in drastically different was.

Vinyl(poly-chloride vinyl, or PCV) is only one compound of several used to make records. Phonograph records have been commercially been made of common compounds like shellac, clay, wax, amberol, bakelite, lacquer, other plastic compounds, poly-styrene as well as vinyl. In starting in the mid-50's, many records were out of poly-styrene(including LP's into the 60's and 45's into the 90's). Forms of vinyl or plastic records started in the 1940's but were not common until the early 1950's, yet shellac was most common until the late-50's. Referring to records as "vinyl" may not always fit the object. Vinyl compounds used to make records has also changed. Vinyl records of the 1950's are obviously different than the vinyl records being made today, and not just because of the thickness.

I'll stick to my guns, CD's(made out of polycarbonate and a layer of metal plus ink) are NOT "vinyl". NOT all records are made out of "vinyl". When I hear someone refer to records as "vinyls", they've got no class and should be put out of their misery.

11. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

bibijeebies likes this.
  12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I've decided to refer to them individually; thirty three and a thirds, fourty fives, seventy eights, and what the hell - sixteen and two thirds are-pee-ems.

Tuco likes this.
  13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Someone saying "vinyls" should be "put out of their misery" ?
    Do you have any idea how utterly insane you sound ?
    I get that it can be upsetting to see language get away from you, but to the point of calling for the death of those who have a keener sense of its fluidity than you do ?
    Serious or not, you need to get a grip.

yarbles and crispi like this.
  14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

That's actually what the French, did back in the day. Trente-trois tours, quarante-cinq tours, etc. Nowadays, they say "vinyles" like everyone else does (but with a slightly different spelling).

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I prefer records because it's more fun sounding and less scientific.

I asked someone once if they were into vinyl.
    There were a few raised eyebrows.

By the way, the plural of message is messages.
    The plural of mail is mail.
    The plural of EMAIL is EMAIL!
    NOT EMAILS!!
    Get a clue Washington, Dope City.

16. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

"I bought it on vinyl" = yes
    "I bought some vinyl" = yes
    "I bought a vinyl/some vinyls" = NO!!!

17. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I remember people referring to records as vinyl in the 70's long before CD was ever dreamed of. Most people in my circle were calling them LPs (or 45's), but vinyl was certainly used as well. No one ever said "vinyls" though.

David Austin likes this.
  18. I think you need to get a grip. Do you realize how uneducated and living in a different reality you sound. I'd make a crack about the French, but I won't, this time. Records are not all made out of vinyl, so calling them by a term they are not is ridiculous.
    Yes, saying putting them out of their misery was very Islamic of me. My philosophy of life is to live and let live.

19. Say

Say Forum Resident

Islamic?

now look at what the great vinyl debate has brought on.

20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Nothing wrong with the word 'vinyls'. If you don't believe me, go get some English lessons.

The thing that irritates me about pseudo-pedants who object to 'vinyls' is the strong likelihood that their grammar is generally inadequate.

21. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I guess we could just call them "VDs" You know, for "Vinyl Disc" ;) "Hey man, I went out last night and got a new VD." See it works really well!

22. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

How many posts does it take to rehash the same point over and over again? How many insults does it take to get an entire thread deleted?

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I don't know where to start. You're not making any sense. And I doubt I'll be able to make any for you, or that you'd even care to read. And so I will refrain from this thread. Not that you're right, coherent or even sane, apparently, but it's probably best for everyone I don't inadvertently agitate you further. Sorry about that ! Relish in your murder fantasies and vinyl fascination if that's what makes you happy.

yarbles likes this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

We called them records all through the '80s long after buying CD players and starting CD collections. "Vinyls" came long after that, probably in an early hipster context.

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

The general standard of spelling and grammar on this forum and in society more broadly makes me cringe, however the use of "vinyls" doesn't bother me greatly.

I think people should focus on the rest of their written expression before worrying about such a word. What's more, I have found that girls think it is a cute word to describe records so I will use it in the appropriate context.

yarbles and Mrtn77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.