Do you buy equipment based on looks? (poll too)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Gordon Gow of McIntosh once compared equipment aesthetics to being served by a waiter with dirty fingernails at a 5-star restaurant. Although it has no direct bearing on the food, the whole experience would be marred by this off-putting factor.

Electrically, the MC30 was no different than the A116 amplifier it replaced but it sported the new chrome & black chassis design. This new style had been chosen purely to facilitate production when suppliers of the old hammertone chassis had become problematic. The unexpected consequence was that MC30 sales tripled that of the model it replaced.

From that point on, McIntosh never underestimated the importance of equipment aesthetics.

showtaper and mattsob1 like this.
  2. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

I don't buy something because it looks "cool". Sound is by far #1. However I will not buy something if it doesn't match my aesthetics.

3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Yes, definitely. All different brands, but all piano black! ( synergy was secured by checking all threads about audio shows for finding out which choices for combining brands the real experts were doing )

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

you have to live with the design of the speakers ,that's why I would never buy eye sores But the best looking stuff isn't always the best sounding (Linn,B&O)

5. PackmanJim

PackmanJim Well-Known Member

I buy good looking Vintage gear but it has to sound good or I will not buy it. Trick question.

6. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Aesthetics are part of the pleasure in owning audio gear. I wouldn't sacrifice sound quality, but it can certainly swing a decision.

Dave and cat9 like this.
  7. frog12

frog12 Forum Resident

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Yes. There's a minimum aesthetics threshold that gear has to meet as an entry criterion for my system. Above that, looks don't matter much in final selection. However, I usually will choose a silver faceplate over a black one when available, even if the silver one costs extra.

Doug

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've learned over the decades..... if something is ugly sooner or later I will get tired of it and get rid of it.

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

I suppose " sometimes " would be a "yes".:tiphat:

BuddhaBob likes this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Good Point.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  12. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Didn't vote because there wasn't an option that fit. I buy on performance BUT, all things being equal will always go with the equipment I deem better looking. So i guess my answer would be "sort of" or " yes" IF I also like the performance.

13. PNeski@aol.com

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You are kidding yourself if you are buying gear and not considering the looks. If you are saying that looks doesn't matter - please post a picture of your gear - I bet you it looks cool.

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Price point & black case. All my stuff is black so... If there ever is a "next time upgrade" will be more attuned to functionality and not paying for over engineered "features".

16. Say

Say Forum Resident

Looks are low on the totem pole. Price point will dictate every purchase I make and then sound quality. And if a dealer throws in some nice freebies with the package then I'll consider looks.

17. PNeski@aol.com

size is important too

18. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

To a degree. Part of my love for my VN150 is the cool plinth. But then I got a plain black box Sphinx and speakers that border on industrial in their look (Tekton). I have to admit really striking design definitely prompts repeat looks (Prima Luna comes to mind).

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

There is a logical error in your statement in that not caring about the looks doesn't mean that one Avoids a better looking component if it otherwise meets their needs. The real issue is whether the audio system is equivalent to furniture in the room. Outside of the speakers almost all other gear can be hidden away behind screens as with my JBL UREI or in cabinets for other gear. I find most gear and speakers unattractive anyway - often wildly unattractive.

[​IMG]

20. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

These days, weight seems to be much more important than aesthetics.
    Something about beefy transformers gets me excited.

21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

You are probably right. Plinious (however it is spelled) is gear that I find horrible to look at - but many like it - so I guess forgo having a piece that looks nice.

Some Sparkomatics would match nicely with that:
    [​IMG]

22. Say

Say Forum Resident

I will admit that one item I bought where looks made a difference was the Tivoli Model One. That baby sounds good to boot and it had that retro thing down pat.

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Don't misunderstand. If I had to integrate audio as if it were furniture then looks would become more important. Fortunately that is seldom necessary except with speakers in certain living spaces - everything else can be hidden. The problem is that the rare piece of gear with true aesthetic appeal is vastly overpriced for the sonic benefit in my experience.

24. G E

G E Senior Member

No. It doesn't influence my decision one iota.

Performance is what I am after. If it happens to look great then all the better.

Linger63 likes this.
  25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

That is a definite yes...not at all ashamed to admit it. The creation of the finest electronics gets everything right, including visual presentation.

showtaper and mattsob1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.