POLL Sunflower or Surf's Up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They could have called it Landlocked and included Denny's songs.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It really belongs on Smile, IMO, but since that never came to pass back in the day, I'm still glad that this song saw the light of day back in '71. The idea for the "Child is the Father" refrain at the end was a masterstroke.

3. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Absolutely

supermd, Glenn Christense and davenav like this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

So....for the regular label, you'd take Surf's Up? ;)

5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I like the individual songs on Surf's Up better (in particular Side 2), but on an entire album basis, I slightly prefer Sunflower.

MRamble likes this.
  6. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm not sure now, since I'm more fond of the earlier albums the older I get, but as a new Beach Boys fan in the 90s I considered Sunflower to be their best album as a whole.

7. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

well, we can certainly agree on that

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. My fave Beach Boys albums are "Pet Sounds" & "SMiLE" & I think their peak era runs from "The Beach Boys Today" up through & including "Wild Honey" (save for "Beach Boy's Party"- a fun anomaly, but not in a class with the rest). There's plenty of great songs on the albums before that. After that, starting with "Friends" & running up through & including "Love You" (save for "15 Big Ones"- mixed bag at best with a few fine songs, but below the high bar otherwise set here) you have a second era of weird & wonderful greatness to still adore.

It's a tough choice between "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up", each is as unique as it is wonderful & I ended up casting my vote for "Sunflower", but on any given day...

Tristero likes this.
  9. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Personally I would choose Sunflower of the two.

Brian was still very active at this point and made major contributions to 5 songs on this album. It is no surprise that they are some of the highlights with This Whole World and All I Wanna Do particular favorites for me.

Dennis was also at his best with Forever probably his finest song. I do wish that Got to Know the Woman had been omitted and replaced by something like Lady though.

And the other members also all made good contributions. Bruce's Deirdre is beautiful and Al's At My Window is very enjoyable too.

I would hope that an extended edition will be released at some point (maybe 2020?) to include all of the other songs of the period such as Susie Cincinnati, Walkin, Good Time, When Girls Get Together etc.

Surf`s Up is another excellent album but a slight step down imo.

It is a shame that Dennis took his bat and his ball home after an argument with Carl, and withdrew his songs and Brian was rather less involved (though Til I Die is a classic).

Carl really proved himself though with two fine songs and Bruce's Disney Girls has rightly become a standard.

I will say though that I like A Day in the Life of a Tree a lot less than some people seem to.

supermd likes this.
  10. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

What's the question?

Yes the "Cottonfields" 45 cut was added to the UK version of the album which makes it even better to my ears. Top album already getting yet another gem.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Feel Flows? :eek:

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Surf's Up : A eco ennui beached whale, Til I Die.

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Two great ones but I picked Sunflower.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  14. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:whistle: Both flawed gems. Bruce should have handed "Tears In The Morning" over to someone else. It doesn't belong on a Beach Boys album.

oldsurferdude, MRamble and Tristero like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jeez...it's a dead heat. Like them both.

16. Tristero

That one's like the Beach Boys go prog. (Of course, Brian was on the progressive edge already back in the mid 60s :cool:).
    Yes. I didn't even realize that this was the lead off track on side two, since I've only known it from the CD age), and a pretty long one clocking in at over 4:00 minutes. What an odd choice, but it certainly wouldn't be the first head scratcher on a Beach Boys album. Replace this with something like "Good Time" and the album improves considerably.

yesstiles likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's too cemented in the brain for "Love You."

How about substituting in "Sound Of Free" instead? :righton:

18. Tristero

I like "Sound of Free" or "Lady" from Dennis.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It's a pick-em here, fairly equivalent even if different from one another. Holland beats either.

I like that one; very musical with lots of ideas and touches. Nice harmony construction too. "Deirdre" is the drippy one on that album.

20. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I'd just never known that there was a difference in the track listing. Interesting.

MONOLOVER likes this.
  21. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Yup the 45 was a big hit in Europe at the time which probably was the reason they added it. Unfortunately it's not the original mono mix, but a re-channel. Sounds nice anyway...

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

If the rest of the album was blank besides the song "Surf's Up", I'd still vote for that album, such is my love and admiration for the song.
    But, then we still have "'Til I Die" for the slamma jamma.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That's not how it came to pass. Like I said before, SURF'S UP would've been so much stronger with Dennis' songs.

Of course it belongs on SMILE. It just came out on SURF'S UP first. History ...

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sure it does.

drasil and starduster like this.
  25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Of course it belongs. It's been a part of that album for 45 years. Bruce was very much integrated into the band by the time that both 20/20 and Sunflower were recorded. To this day, Sunflower is still Bruce's most participation on a Beach Boys album, with 4 lead, co-lead vocals and two compositions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.