The Great Escape

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Are there any interviews with any of the big stars years later on what it was like on the set filming the movie and working with the others?

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Garner wrote about it in his memoirs a few years ago, mostly about Steve McQueen being difficult so he and Coburn had to set him straight. Garner also discussed the film in in some TV interviews; I remember him saying Bronson was not easy to work with, but he didn't go into details.

I don't know of any interviews/reminiscences from the UK cast members, perhaps there are some out there.

You might be interested in a TGE making-of documentary, which can be found on YT.

shokhead likes this.
  3. shokhead

EdgardV likes this.
  4. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Donald Pleasence had problems convincing John Sturges what a German P.O.W. camp was like (he had been in one) since Sturges was initially unaware of his background. Once he found out, he took his advice.

The Great Escape: 50th anniversary »

EdgardV likes this.
  5. shokhead

Wow!

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I started watching this last night on TCM, thinking I'd just watch a little. Ended up seeing the whole thing. It's such a good movie.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wasn't it during this film that Bronson went off with McCallum's wife?

8. shokhead

I did the very same thing. lol

Macman likes this.
  9. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I seem to remember the blu-ray commentary being done by a film critic, but also features extensive audio interviews with some of the stars. I particularly recall David McCallum talking about (quite bitterly) how Charles Bronson began an affair with his wife during the production (Jill Ireland).

10. shokhead

I'm thinking nobody twisted her arm.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Whatever turns you on, I guess. :whistle:

12. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I came across my DVD on Friday and decided to watch it. For a movie that should be depressing as anything (50 men were executed), it does have an uplifting spirit as to what men can do (digging tunnels, forging uniforms and papers, etc).

Incidentally, out of the 26 men who weren't shot (which happened in ones and twos, not a mass execution as the movie depicts), there is one still alive: Dick Churchill. He has always felt that the Germans spared him because they thought he might be related to Winston Churchill (Dick feels he probably isn't). Most of the 50 who were killed were from the continent as they placed an emphasis on who could adapt best once they were outside. The three who successfully escaped were a Dutch pilot (made it to Spain) and two Norwegians who found some sailors from neutral Sweden to smuggle them on a ship. Also the weather was terrible. Very cold winter, several feet of snow which hindered the prisoners. They had to hide in barns which made finding them easier.

13. shokhead

Twisted arms?:shh::laugh:

smilin ed likes this.
  14. Mr. Bandora

Mr. Bandora Active Member

I don't blame him for being bitter. Imagine having to work with someone who's an affair with your wife.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

There war the Polo neck sweater that McQueen objected to, thought with Garner wearing it, it would be a scene stealer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.