New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. I'm a little confused. I bought all 17 SHM-SACD Queen titles when they were first released about 5 years ago, 2012ish.
    These were the only titles that I recall didn't include the mini LP in a box style that the other SHM-SACD came packed in. This included greatest hits vol 1 and 2 in jewel cases. What is that they were doing now besides reissuing these titles (in the same jewel cases) but perhaps with a new product number to differentiate the first releases from these reissues?

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

That's usually what they do to differentiate the different pressings. Perhaps a different OBI as well.

3. But what's the deal with Greatest Hits being reissued in mini-LP style? They were never released in that style case to begin with. Or am I misinterpreting the OP?

4. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Since all these titles mostly OOP, they decided to re-release them again, but with more attractive price tag (Y3000 instead of Y4286). In my view it's the best part of this move, since it gives them idea how SHM-SACD in Jewel cases supposed to be priced. (Of course, catalog number will be different too).
    I think they don't do it in Mini LP, only because they [Uni Jpn] still count to get OK from their headquarter to finish Pt/non-Pt release in Mini LP (without boxes).

5. toilet_doctor

Yes, they were not in Mini and Greatest Hits Vol.2 is still available in Jewel case for 4286 Yens.
    So, the deal is: they will reissue them in Mini LP for price even cheaper than new Jewel case release (2667 yens) to hook up crazy Mini LP collectors like me.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. What's crazy is that none of the Queen SHM-SACD titles were released as mini LP, so why only two, now, I wonder?

7. It's worked, I'll probably get the two greatest hits.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  8. Any link for these Queen mini LP's?

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Are any of the Black Sabbath titles being resissued? Master Of Reality is expensive.

10. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Sadly, no.

11. toilet_doctor

Sorry, guys, it supposed to be reg. Mini LP SHM-CD and they just correct it.

"Re-update":

Sep. 2, 2016

Queen Queen
    Queen Queen 2
    Queen Sheer Heart Attack
    Queen A Night At The Opera
    Queen A Day At The Races
    Queen News Of The World
    Queen Jazz
    Queen The Game
    Queen Flash Gordon
    Queen Hot Space
    Queen The Works
    Queen A Kind Of Magic
    Queen The Miracle
    Queen Innuendo
    Queen Made In Heaven.

Cancelled
    Queen Greatest Hits
    Queen Greatest Hits II

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  12. toilet_doctor

Sorry: no deal - it's supposed to be reg. Mini LP SHM-CD for this price and it is now.
    On Sep. 26, 2016 Queen Greatest Hits I and II are coming in Mini LP SHM-CD format.

13. toilet_doctor

Due to additional reissue of SACD in jewel cases, some people asked to re-post this list:

List of the tiles where Pt CD is a New Transfer from OMT vs. SACD version from Jpn Copy Tape

1) Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East
    2) Blind Faith - S/T
    3) Camel - The Snowgoose
    4) Caravan - In the Land Of Grey and Pink
    5) Cream - Wheels of Fire
    6) Derek and the Dominos - Layla
    7) Dire Straits - S/T
    8) Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
    9) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    10) Police - Synchronicity
    11) Wishbone Ash - Argus
    12) 10CC - The Original Soundtrack

14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The release date for Jimmy Page & Robert Plant No Quarter is now Oct 26 according to CD Japan.

15. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

What about NOTICEABLE differences in sound quality of these listed titles - Platinium CD vs SHM SACD?!

I would prefer to have SHM SACDs with OMT recordings...

Cheers
    Tomek

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

According to CD Japan's web page,

On October 26 several SACD-SHM discs are being reissued with OMT mastering from the most recent DSD files that were used to produce their SHM platinum CDs. Check the individual titles' descriptions for provenance. Some are straight reissues, some are OMT substitutions.

See here:
    CDJapan : Complete Listings »

Tomek, Plan9 and toilet_doctor like this.
  17. toilet_doctor

Thanks for correction. Queen GH - on Sep. 26, but Page & Plant - on Oct. 26.

18. toilet_doctor

Almost all Pt versions in this list sound noticeably better with less Brightness in the trebles.
    I reviewed 3 or 4 titles from this list I do have (see Post 1077, 1097, 1105; page 44, 45), but not 10CC, where SACD sounds better than Pt.
    The best SHM-SACDs (part3) »
    P.S. There are very helpful two lists there on a page 43; Post 1065 and 1067: Claus List and Plan9 List. But some positions are controversial and some opinions has been changed with time. Please read comments down to the thread...

19. toilet_doctor

Thank you very much for the pointing out.

New SHM-SACD release (Jewel case, $29.50)

Oct.26, 2016
    Allman Brothers At Fillmore East
    Blind Faith S/T
    Camel The Snowgoose
    Caravan In the Land Of Grey and Pink
    Derek and the Dominos Layla
    Police Synchronicity
    Wishbone Ash Argus
    Cream Fresh Cream
    Elton John S/T
    Fairport Convention

7 titles are releasing in SHM-SACD with new transfer from OMT for a first time (they were available only in Pt/non-Pt version):

Why are they not Mini LP? Uuu-nii!!!

Allman Brothers At Fillmore East
    Blind Faith S/T
    Camel The Snowgoose
    Caravan In the Land Of Grey and Pink
    Derek and the Dominos Layla
    Police Synchronicity
    Wishbone Ash Argus

These 3 titles are reprint:

Cream Fresh Cream
    Elton John S/T
    Fairport Convention Liege & Lief

Plan9 likes this.
  20. toilet_doctor

Update:

Old
    list of the tiles where Pt CD is a New Transfer from OMT vs. SACD version from Jpn Copy Tape

1) Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East
    2) Blind Faith - S/T
    3) Camel - The Snowgoose
    4) Caravan - In the Land Of Grey and Pink
    5) Cream - Wheels of Fire
    6) Derek and the Dominos - Layla
    7) Dire Straits - S/T
    8) Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
    9) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    10) Police - Synchronicity
    11) Wishbone Ash - Argus
    12) 10CC - The Original Soundtrack

New list of the tiles where Pt CD is a New Transfer from OMT vs. SACD version from Jpn Copy Tape

1) Cream - Wheels of Fire
    2) Dire Straits - S/T
    3) Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
    4) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    5) 10CC - The Original Soundtrack

Comment:
    SHM-SACD version of 10CC The Original Soundtrack sounds better vs. new OMT Transfer of Pt/non-Pt version.

(from Post 1105, Page 45, The best SHM-SACD (part 3) thread)

10cc Original Soundtrack SHM-SACD vs. Pt SHM version.

First I put SACD. Sound was opened and balanced with good bass, but trebles had the same problem as Caravan In the Land of... too bright highs (in vocals and cymbals). So, in Pt version, new transfer from Original UK Tape supposed to take care of this issue, but it did not do that completely: it did just on some tracks. I spent a lot of time comparing these two damn discs because for some reasons sound varied from track to track in both versions.
    Overall, sound was not as clear as Caravan In the Land of... SACD and, though I like 10CC a lot, the best I can do: to place it in Good/Average position.
    It's a shame to admit, but Platinum version was overall sounded even worse in terms of transparency. I have tried different upsampling modes to smooth sound, but it helped just a little in 768 kHz mode. Thus, Pt version goes to the Average category

Any comments on the rest 4 titles, please...

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I remember I commented on the Dire Straits s/t SACD vs Pt. CD difference in another thread somewhere, but where?
    The conclusion was that the Pt. CD was better.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Most of the PT SHM-CDs vs SHM-SACD are better... Dire Straits, Layla, Synchronicity and a few others.

toilet_doctor, Plan9 and Tomek like this.
  23. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

So Dire Straits 1st on SHM-SACD re-issue in plastic case has the same mastering as the SHM-SACD in cardboard cover, right?
    Should one expect this title to be re-issued on SHM-SACD with Platinum-CD-like mastering?

24. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Sadly it wasn't included in this (October 2016) series, perhaps in the near future.

25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Here is my opinion of the 10cc SHM-SACD vs Platinum SHM-CD:

When I bought the SHM-SACD, I loved it from the first moment. It is very analogue in sound and the transients are really extended, micro dynamics fabulous.
    I have no problem hearing that this is a solid state recording and a bit bright. But it is what it is.

Ok, so I had to find out what's going on with this Platinum Shm-CD hype, so I ordered it to compare it to my Sacd.
    No contest; the SHM-SACD does it better for me!
    Both has similar tonality, but the SACD is even a bit more extended in top, not because of mastering, but because of the media. The SACD media more faithful represents what is on the analog tapes, simple as that. And is that a bad thing?
    But that is not important. What is important is that the SACD draws me into the music in a better way. More life, more dynamics, more fun; simple as that.
    One example: listen to the "256 overdubbed voices" on I'm not in Love. On the SACD you can really hear what's going on in the background of the sound picture and separate voices. On the CD, things are much less "obvious" and a grey mass, don't know how I shall explain it.