Anyone bothered when studios redesign BR artwork?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

My random thoughts:

The idea is to draw people in and get them to buy old product. A fresh coat of paint can really help sell a car or house and this is the same thing.

If they didn't change up the art, people with the same content on DVD or older media would be less inclined to upgrade. It can also help draw in those that hadn't seen the film before.

This is not to say I like all the Photoshop redesigns- some of them are horrible. Some do some really interesting and creative things using old promotional photos.

Some original film posters can suck, or just be a little ho hum. I'm currently decorating my stairway with framed reproductions of classic film posters. Some that I've had to decide not to use just aren't all that interesting to look at.

They say you can't judge a book by its cover. I think that's true. But often it seems the book with the "better" cover can often sell.

MRamble likes this.
  2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thank God they don't do that for music releases. Although they liked to do that in the '80s. :cry:

3. Not a movie poster, but still an iconic image of the show:

[​IMG]

Replaced with:

[​IMG]

.....what looks to me like a snooze of a show!

MRamble likes this.
  4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always known the DVD cover art and thought it was ok but now seeing the movie poster---wish they went with that one!

mikeyt likes this.
  5. MRamble

I get the fresh coat idea. I'd feel a lot better about it if at least some of these designs didn't look like it was slapped together in 5 minutes!

6. MRamble

Ah--terrible!

7. MRamble

They did offer a new cover for the special edition of "Thriller" a few years back. I was surprised they would modify the original iconic cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  8. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

And the one that is in it the least by a long shot is first and center, though I can see why they would put her there..

MRamble likes this.
  9. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

This has been going on for well over a decade.. and yeah it kinda Sucks! And not only is tha Non Existent Effort apparent on tha Front of most DVD/Blu rays tha backs are even worse, bad layouts, bad font choice, colour and size..and somebody got Paid for this.. Done a few Covers of my own in Photoshop before.. Because I really, really hated the Hollywood version..

atb

Vahan and MRamble like this.
  10. MRamble

Feel free to post some of your own creations!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  11. CrazyCatz

I will do, but will take few days to find..but they are OK(well I think so) and I even put my moniker at bottom(small) my favourite I think ..was Betty Paige Movie..i went with a Retro? Black and sepia toned Yellow.. Will dig em out, on ext hdd(somewhere) but they are there.. Save everything Me..well Data.

atb

12. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

What about the OT Star Wars posters Vs. the DVD and Blu ray covers?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MRamble and CrazyCatz like this.
  13. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

And the final one.[​IMG]

14. CrazyCatz

^^^ Yeah I liked tha Original S.W. Posters.. Real Art? Well looks more painted and less Super Bright Digital..

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That very first Star Wars poster was ludicrous, though... Maybe the artist envisioned a muscled bloke as Skywalker and Raquel Welch as Princess Leia. The original Empire Strikes Back-poster is a thing of Beauty and by far the best SW-related design.

EddieVanHalen and CrazyCatz like this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was going to say basically the same thing. It didn't seem to affect me as much in the VHS era, but I can't even count the number of older-edition DVDs I owned that were later reissued in a "special edition" with more extra features but with re-done (and god-awful) new cover art.

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:agree: Agree, even though they heavily "borrowed" from another iconic film poster.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EddieVanHalen, Yovra and CrazyCatz like this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Her bendy toy left arm carring the torch has always bothered me since Columbia Pictures updated their artwork in the early 90's. It's really fascinating to see the source photo all these years later. That hard shadow and lack of nuance on the contours is where it fails for me.

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha ha, please check any Bond BD, eg Goldfinger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....and the Blu ray editions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

this one should bother anyone that has never seen the movie: the BD shows you the Alien, the original movie poster didn't!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

interestingly, several DVD editions were more faithful to the original movie poster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Scrolling quickly thru' Marcel's Goldfinger post above, I thought that said "Everything he touches turns to excrement". :doh::eek:

22. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I don't mind them coming up with new covers (if it's an improvement), but I really dislike Criterion's over-heated, graphic-design-students-on-speed, covers. It makes me even not want to buy them.

23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ha ha, in the case of the Bond movies, it's also true that there was not just one movie poster but often every country had their customized version, and rarely sucked, eg Dr. No

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the original Italian poster (retitled "Licenza di uccidere", the italian form for"License to kill", eh eh :D)

[​IMG]

a google search will show the many wonderful movie posters for several international versions, but the BD? This is what you get if you buy the latest official version

[​IMG]

...and this is a fan made version, much better!

[​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

[​IMG]

...cheers!

[​IMG]

MRamble likes this.
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

[​IMG]

[​IMG]