Best Rap / Hip-Hop Vinyl LP Re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gsmile, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

These aforementioned albums are masterpieces:

GZA - Liquid Swords
    Cannibal Ox- Cold Vein
    Tribe Called Quest -Low End Theory

I'll add:
    Digable Planets -Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)
    Aesop Rock -Labor Days
    Foreign Legion -Kidnapper Van, Beats to Rock While Bike Stealin'

(Foreign Legion was a local Bay Area rap duo that never really broke out. This album from 2000 is available on double vinyl, and it's really good. Positive lyrics and great production from DJ Design)

The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique is, IMHO, one of the greatest albums of all time from any group in any genre.

LavidDange likes this.
  2. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

My fear is that the artists you listed above will fade away into obscurity. What a better time to revisit some of their classic albums than during a resurgence of vinyl?

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  3. Badnruin

Badnruin Forum Resident

Anyone have some MOV hip hop suggestions? I'm curious if they do a good job with the genre

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This thread deserves a bump!

5. Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy Active Member

Has anyone had the problem of sibilance on inner groves of hip hop albums?

I my turntable is a clearaudio concept with a maestro cartridge (Awesome cartridge but not very forgiving, I’ve had the alignment checked and it’s good).

I LOVE hip hop and own a number of hip hop albums. Albums like Low End Theory or Illmattic experience an increased amount of sibilance in the inner tracks for me.

It’s worse over my headphones than speakers (I use grados which are more susceptible to sibilance) but it’s still definitely there on the speakers.

After trying to figure this out for years (literally) and over multiple turntables I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s caused mainly by inner groove distortion and the fact that hip hop is more susceptible to sibilance (all the harsh “S” and “T”s coming at rapid fire over the).

I’ve come to accept that this is just a vinyl thing (it’s not a flawless medium, to me that’s part of its charm) and I choose to enjoy my hip hop records despite it.

Has anyone here had similar experiences?

6. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

I'd like to bump this thread. Anyone have recent hip hop reissues that they like or sound great?

7. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

I'm forever on the hunt for the best sounding copy of PE's 'Fear of a Black Planet' that I can find.
    None have really blown me away, including all recent represses and even the 3 x 12" Promo version (Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet (Terminator X DJ Performance Discs) ) which, horrifyingly, omits the best track from the album!
    The only copy I've yet to hear are the Box Set LP, and the Simply Vinyl repress.
    But as they are both single discs, I'm not holding out much hope.

One day this album will get a double vinyl remaster, done well, and I'll be all over it.

8. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread, (and the RHCPs namedropping Dilla in the song "Detroit") I picked up Donuts. Thank you, all :righton:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Machiventa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.