Poll: Netflix Is Caught Between a DVD and a Hard Place

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WhatTheFlac, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatTheFlac

WhatTheFlac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Netflix, what is your preference?

2. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Poll needs option for both. I like streaming, I like checking out Blu-Rays.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The streaming that I'm not paying for ( my son is ). :tiphat:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Streaming, baby!

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Not currently a subscriber, but when I am its always the streaming option.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Mailing is so last millennium.

thgord, Rufus McDufus and fluffskul like this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

UHD streaming plan for me.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right?, it's like asking what is your preference, hand written snail mail or email?

Actually, "Netflix Is Caught Between a DVD and a Hard Place" should be ""Netflix Is Caught Between a (hard) DVD and a Soft (virtual) Place".

10. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I thought you can only stream with Netflix - in Australia anyway.

11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I do both. The new releases aren't out on streaming right away. If I had to chose just one, Rental it is.

quicksrt and Dr. Pepper like this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Rental. Netflix streaming doesn't have the selection. Although my local library's (free) movie streaming service carries titles that Netflix doesn't.

Tree of Life likes this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Yes mailing is last millennium, but what makes it a rational choice is so many of the great or recent movies are not on streaming. Streaming presents a rather limited choice for movies. If everything was available on streaming it would be a no brainer for me - streaming, but streaming right now is too limited.

tkl7, drasil, Taurus and 1 other person like this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Rental due to availability of titles. If the stuff I wanted to watch was available streaming, then streaming would be my choice. I'll be a happy man when the TCM/ criterion streaming option is active

Tree of Life likes this.
  15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I'm confused. The topic is obviously from 2007, but I only started seeing the thread today … ???

16. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

The DVD/Bluray selection is massively more than streaming. About 95% of the titles in my rental queue are not available to stream, including most new releases. Also, Bluray quality is better than streaming, at least for my connection.

However, it is highly irritating when there are Bluray titles available and they only offer the DVD version, especially considering there is an extra charge for Bluray subscriptions.

I stream also, but only for the convenience.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Exactly! I rented a few BR's, but my TV is not good enough that they looked like much of an upgrade over DVD - the tv is big, but was fairly cheap.

On the other hand, my internet connection is good, and looks at least as good as DVD

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

In the UK, Netflix is streaming only anyway, but the DVD rental service went out the door for me about five years ago at least. First with Sony's online service Then Netflix and Amazon Prime.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish I could understand, in a practical way, why you can pay a subscription fee to have them mail you a thing, watch it, mail it back, but for that same subscription fee you can't just stream that movie and save the trouble of manufacturing, packaging, mailing, mailing back, etc. Seems like the movie companies' revenue would not really be affected either way.

20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I wish they would figure out a way to increase their streaming library massively, even if they had to add a higher priced tier to do it.

Damiano54 and drasil like this.
  21. paste

paste Forum Resident

I ended up dropping the DVD service a year or so ago when it seemed like most of the titles on my list were either no longer available or had a long wait time. Also, a lot of the more obscure newer titles weren't being added to the collection.

22. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

My simplistic view of licensing...

HBO doesn't want Netflix providing Game of Thrones, for instance. But once the DVD/Bluray is released, there's no legal way to prevent the rental of discs. And HBO doesn't care that streaming would be more cost-effective for Netflix.

Deesky likes this.
  23. The major upshot of rental is getting stuff that is OOP. If it is OOP and in stock, rentals are great. Especially when it otherwise goes for big bucks on eBay.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Rentals?? that's so 2004......either it's 1) a Blu-Ray purchase, 2) On-Demand HD rental $6.99 or $4.99 (older titles) or wait t'il it goes thru the process and winds up on the Movie Network months down the road, (part of HBO subscription). I wish there was such a thing as video rental stores but they are now extinct in my immediate area.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

This X 1000000000000000000000000000000000. Netflix's streaming choices are surely pathetic. I continue with rental because the selection, though still truncated (compared to my "want to view" list), is several fold greater than streaming. It doesn't matter that snail mail and DVDs are 20th century or not; the restricted selection of streaming is soooooooooooo Stone Age.

Damiano54, Hall Cat, drasil and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.