Pre-Recorded Cassette Tape Albums are rising in prices!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Chris_G, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

The radio recordings sound like a good idea. Maybe there's something on Sirius xm I might find worthy of taping. Or even some youtube finds. With my Bluetooth connection and the internet, I have options we didn't have before.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  2. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I no longer have a Walkman but I like the idea of laying down material of a lost time. I played one of the old tapes I have and it was something I recorded off the radio in the 80's. It was just oldies but they played different oldies than they typically play today.

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

They're still very cheap where I am in the UK, the problem is finding them.
    Most charity shops won't stock them and I'm guessing a lot of them end up in the bin.

I find the majority of mine at car boot sales but even then they're not as plentiful as they used to be.

4. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

For one reason or another, I was working abroad and had a car with a cassette player in it - this was some years ago. I found a local second hand shop, who had exactly one cassette on sale, Manfred Manns Earth Band, Nightingales and Bombers. I drove around for a while playing nothing but this album, and loved it. The cassette tape snapped, as they do. I came home, thought nothing more of it, until I bought a vinyl copy in one of my vinyl hunting expeditions.

It was like a different album. The cassette version had a cruddy, hissy underpowered charm all of its own, while the bright, powerful vinyl sound (it is a particularly clean copy) stripped away all of its foggy, old world feel.

Like all recorded media, sometimes this old fashioned stuff just does it for you, particularly if you are *from* that time.....

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  5. I listen to cassettes. My truck has a cassette player, i'm sure many people still have them in their vehicles. I've listned to cassettes all my lif and I have no plans to stop using them. I am not a hipster either!

6. Ha! A lot of eBay sellers have been charging the Earth for cassettes in Australia for years. The average single is Au$15 and the average album is Au$25. I say: No.

I also say: You should see my collection at the moment!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You know, in the early 1980's, cassettes used to come with a graph to show you how good they were compared to the previous model

[​IMG]

But by the late 1990's they were just a bunch of dicks

[​IMG]

:uhhuh:

7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

It happens. I noticed that several of the tapes I gave away a few years ago are going for $20 or more each now. And even more crazy is several of the VHS tapes I gave away or even threw away are going for as much as $100 each for obscure 80s horror movies that were hard to get more than five bucks or so 5-6 years ago.

I'll also add that visiting a local record store I hadn't been to in about 10 years was quite a different experience. I used to regularly go in and the majority of the store was walls of vinyl for $1 or the usual fare stuff for $2-5 each. Now the same store didn't even have a dollar bin and albums that would have been in those bins a few years ago were now $5-10 each. Plenty of folks are trying to ride the "vinyl resurgence" wave and I suppose it's now extending to cassette and vhs as well.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    black sheriff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.