Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

This is my first spin and I'm enjoying this version of Mahler's Fifth Symphony quite a lot.

[​IMG]

John S, Mik, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning the multi channel SACD-

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Simon A like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

The SACD Multi channel of that recording is great. Check it out if you can.

Simon A likes this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

No worries, it will be my next purchase along with the 6 & 9 three discs set. I suppose that these are 3.0 discs? I'm really looking forward to hearing them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  5. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT.....:tiphat:
    [​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and Simon A like this.
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Classic Records pressing from 1995

[​IMG]

fitzrik, Wes H, Daedalus and 7 others like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

I think they are 3.0 IIRC. I have the entire set on Multi.
    They are the best I have ever heard of these recordings.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Symphony No.7.

[​IMG]

Passacaglia on a theme by Schubert.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

I am not familiar with the Dvorak recording but I really like the Godowsky/Hamelin disc.

Wes H and Bachtoven like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

First spin of this lovely set and already loving it! He plays with slower tempos than Barenboim (my other complete set) and with great dynamics. Gorgeously romantic readings that do not deserve to be OOP.

If you are curious, you can hear much of that set (sounds much better on the CDs, but you can still get a clear sense of the interpretation) here:

Daedalus, Mik and Simon A like this.
  11. Rose River Bear

That is a great double CD with fine playing. Its been a while since I listened to it. I will spin it tomorrow.

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

My only other complete set is Barenboim on DG and I like Adni quite a bit more. Adni's interpretations are deeper, more romantic and more dynamic.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  13. Rose River Bear

I have Schiff as well as Adni. I need to compare the two.

George P likes this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

And to close this musical remembrance of my Dad tonight.....on the TT his very favourite Symphony 'From the New World'. What a beautiful interpretation from this box set. I am moved to tears once again.... :tiphat:
    [​IMG]

Mik, Simon A, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

This is a re-issue of only the Brandenburg Concertos. Your set remains OOP and pricey. :)

Simon A likes this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was excited to get this tulip pressing...then I noticed it was a U.S. RCA pressing, presumably for the Record Club. Anyway, the performances, which I also have on CD, are good, the record is quiet & the sound pretty good. I think I got this for 25 cents. Recorded 10/18/61 & 5/23/62, Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin.

Wes H, Daedalus, Mik and 3 others like this.
  17. DeepFloyd11

Wow, that's really cool. Eugen Jochum is one of those conductors that could never do anything wrong IOM. Always a guarantee for excellent musicianship. When did you get this nice pressing? When I saw the 25 cents cost, it made me feel I am paying too much for my 1 CAD vinyls! Hahahaha. :tiphat:

vanhooserd likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "The Complete Mozart Piano Sonatas Vol. 5" performed by Glenn Gould from the Sony box set.

[​IMG]

Mik, Simon A and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I got this at a Sidewalk Sale a few weeks ago at a local place that sells used media & comics. I usually pick up a few good things as a reward for showing up at 8 am, mixing with the crowd & pawing through a lot of dusty, moldy junk LPs. I am told this is not a Record Club pressing, but that it comes from a period when RCA pressed some regular LPs in the US for DG. The jacket was printed in Germany & there is a 7/65 after the printer credit. The deadwax indicates it was pressed at RCA's Indianapolis plant.

20. DeepFloyd11

Now that is really interesting! I have a few tulips as well, that I bought recently. Most are German, but there are a couple that I haven't been able to ID on Discogs or anywhere. I will check the deadwax thingy and see if it is maybe from a similar batch as yours.

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Mine says on the label that it was pressed by RCA. There is an I in the deadwax which on RCA pressings indicates Indianapolis. There is also an * which I don't remember seeing on RCA label pressings.

22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Dvorak - Trios Op. 65 & Op. 90 'Dumky'" performed by Trio Solisti on Bridge.

[​IMG]

Daedalus and Simon A like this.
  23. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Yup, there was a brief period when the standard US issue DG LPs were being pressed by RCA. Does your LP's deadwax show an RCA matrix number, or one of DG's in their typical typeface? I think when I've seen these in the past, they were pressed from DG metal parts.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The matrix # for the 1st side is 138823-A-9003-15. 138 823 is the catalog #, A is for side A, & I assume the 15 at the end might be a stamper #. The 9003 appears as part of the matrix # on both sides & is also printed on the label just to the right of the company name above the ST 33 intersecting circles.

Walter H likes this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Philips 6500 089. Recorded in the Grote Zaal, Concertgebouw, 6/13/68. This is an Italian pressing in an English jacket.

Wes H, Daedalus, Mik and 2 others like this.