U.S. Post Office To Issue Star Trek Stamps

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SandAndGlass, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Ah, TrekBBS. Never change.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

FYI...

BBC America HD will be showing TOS Seasons 1 & 2, restored and uncut as a marathon starting Thursday Sept 8.

SandAndGlass and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that is strange?

I will tell you what I think is stranger?

I just happened upon the stamps. I thought I would pass some info on to the Forum as a search turned up nothing. Then I had the idea so check for an image of both stamps. I inserted a picture, then I thought, it was too small, I found a second picture, and it was larger and nicer.

Th this point I realized that there were two more stamps (yeah!) and I saw that they were being dedicated on 9/2/16. It was not soaking in, at first, but I realized that there was more to the dedication, it was kicking off some event in NYC.

I was curious, more than anything else, so I checked out the link. What I saw, almost knocked me over! There was going to be this really huge ST 50th anniversary convention over a three day period. EVERYBODY (well just about) was going to be attending. People from the TV shows, throughout the years. People from many different ST movies. Author's, an Auction of Leonard Nimoy's personal items, autograph and photo ops, including Shatner.

How cool would that be?

Look at the ST fan base. It spans a half century. It is ingrained into our culture, it is known around the world. Even people, who don't even like ST, know and would recognize Spock and the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Look at the cos play at the Comic Con conventions!

Now, I am just a casual fan, I enjoy it, but they have tens of thousands of fans, who are way more nuts about it than I am. How much has been posted on this and other forum's?

Which brings me to my point. Being that I am, at best, just a run of the mill, average fan and I live in Florida. Because I manage a motel 25/7, I can't just take off and jet to NY (otherwise, I most certainly would!).

So, twice, I suggested that some SHF member, who lives in and around in NYC, or plans to come in for the convention and is a ST fan, to volunteer and be the OP for a dedicated ST 50th anniversary thread. It is still 5-days left till the convention, but the prospects are not looking promising.

I think a thread about the convention, would invite many contributions from members who also attended the convention and spark many discussions afterward.

There should be a lot of interesting photos from the convention to post.

In our world of Sci-Fi and ST fans. I can't believe there hasn't been more interest. The stamps are nice, the collector coins are nice. But this should be the ultimate convention, like none that have been held before. How many fans are here on the forum? Loads, I venture to bet!

The next big convention like this, won't happen for another 11-years, when Star Wars celebrates its 50th anniversary!

So we are both puzzled? You post on the ST BBS and get ZERO response, it makes no sense at all!

I guess thay are waiting for yet another Elvis stamp. If that is the case, there is another one for sale at the moment.

Go figure???

After TOS went off the air, nobody expected to see its return. It was the fans who made the difference. It was the fans that brought it back and it has endured and grown over a fifty year period. I want to see another TV show top this.

But, Thank You, m5comp (and all the others who have chimed in to this thread), for your continued interest and support, both here and on the BBS.

S&G

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  5. SandAndGlass

In ST IV, they piloted a Klingon vessel back in time to earth. maybe is ST XXX, they will commandeer the Falcon for the Kessel run (after all, they can do it in 12-parsects)

6. SandAndGlass

Excellent! What no season three?

7. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Consider it a mercy killing.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

By the third season, the budget had been slashed to the point that, there was no point in trying to make anything look real. It was heading in the direction of an Irwin Allen production and Dr. Who on PBS (I'd rather watch a Captain Kangaroo rerun than Dr. Who).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.