New Public Image Limited album, "What The World Needs Now...", set for release on 09/04/2015*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaramangaFran

ScaramangaFran Forum Resident

That's a shame. I'm pleased to say that I dont have any problems with my copy. All sides are super quite, and sounds really good.

2. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I've just started to listen. Double Trouble sounds like Sleaford Mods. Hmm..

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I finally listened to this new album this past weekend - at first during the 1st 2 songs I thought "more of the same" but it really started to get interesting after that - I like it a lot!

4. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I'm not sure I like this one. Too much free style and not enough constructed songs (with catchy choruses) in my opinion.

5. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

After listening to the first four PIL albums on SHM-SACD for the last two weeks, this new one just sounds so contrived - not unhinged and disturbing like it should be (for me to like it)... Of course John Lydon is always fun, even on this album.

6. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Woohoo, found out they are playing in Sacramento in Nov. Ticket price? $35, and that includes service charge. I'd be stupid not to go.

Liking the new one, too, although the vocals sound a little off the cuff and kinda shallow. Johnny's lost a little edge. :wantsome:

7. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

Was it King's Hall or The Russell Club in Manchester in 1979? If it's the latter, there's a fantastic soundboard recording in which Keith Levene is just ripping it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE8257C9324B60AC9

gsmile likes this.
  8. chronic kebab

chronic kebab Forum Resident

just texted my brother to ask. Kings hall apparently! damn they sound amazing in the link you sent though!

tortoised likes this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I am with the majority here. This is a really good album and better than their last album. Lydon's vocals are sounding great.

the double vinyl sounds good as well.

punkmusick likes this.
  10. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I'm totally digging this new PIL album.
    Johnny's still got it!

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  11. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

He's still angry! Angry about the plumber! :biglaugh:

Baba Oh Really, serge and Cake like this.
  12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Saw them last night in NYC. Fun show. John remains one of the most expressive vocalists and entertaining frontmen out there. He had a little trouble carrying the melody in "Disappointed" but overall was pretty strong vocally. The band sounded great. Really intense version of "Religion" too.

Some knob next to me thought it was 1977 and kept yelling out "Johnny, you're a C@#t!" and "F*** You!" That was annoying but John either didn't hear him or just ignored it altogether.

Also, they're on Colbert tonight.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just saw this on the tv guide and came here to alert everyone. I remember back when this would have been a big damn deal! We're so spoiled nowadays.......:sigh:

James RD likes this.
  14. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

He's OURS now!! ;)

JuanTCB and joeislive like this.
  15. Baba Oh Really

Somehow, even though I started this thread, when the album was finally released, it flew under my radar (not surprising, since I'm incredibly busy..)

Anyway, that's been remedied. Got it now!! Too bad there's not a deluxe version! Oh well.

Review once I've had time to listen to it.

16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And he will have to stay, after so many years away there is no was that he could afford London property prices these days...:D

17. Baba Oh Really

I have to say I really like this album a lot better than the last one.

18. Baba Oh Really

Who says he has to live in London?? There are lots of other places in the UK!!

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Because (north) London is his home town and it is were he returns to when in the UK. If John was relocating back to the UK he would want to be back in London.

20. Baba Oh Really

My... my god... I think I LOVE THIS:

21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I just came across two EP's, one each from "This is Pil" and "What the World Needs Now..." and just flipped listening to them both a couple of times today. Incredible stuff! Can't wait to charge into both full albums!

22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I think this is a great record. I only had a download but bought the double album version, sounds really good.
    But I'm not the best judge since I love everything Lydon does musically and having Lu you can't go wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.