Springsteen Born to Run LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Moschella, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Resurrecting this thread because I just acquired a copy of this pressing from a friend who was getting rid of most of his vinyl. This copy has a sticker over the credits on the jacket.

The sound is startlingly good: dynamic and open, with Bruce sounding like he's in the room with you. The horns on "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" are also terrifically present, as is that haunting trumpet on "Meeting Across the River." I've got three CD copies and two other vinyl copies, and this one's easily the best in my collection. The half-speed LP sounds very futzed-with by comparison. And my other vinyl copy, a later repress (I'm guessing early 80's), sounds flat, lifeless, and compressed to death next to the one I've just heard.

This is not an audiophile recording, but if you can get hold of a 1A/1A MCR pressing, you'll hear something special. I really was floored by the dynamic range, presence, and texture. I didn't know the record could sound this good. (No, I haven't heard the Classic Records version, though I'd like to.)

One more thing: can someone tell me what's meant by the "script cover"? Thanks.

dee likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

3. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Bruce-Springsteen-Born-To-Run---Scr-303611.jpg

dee likes this.
  5. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

It's a shame Norm doesn't post more often these days. I've seen his copy and it's very cool -- a little jarring, to be honest, since the mainstream release has become so iconic.

Jeff

6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Shelti posted a link to it.
    It was a pre-advance test pressing/promo pressing, that CBS sent out to certain DJs/reviewers, early in the summer of 1975. Before all aspects of the record, like cover typography were finalized. Very, very collectible.
    I've seen legitimate copies with the original CBS mailing envelope, and all the inserts go for $4000.00.
    BTW, the record itself has been heavily counterfeited, that's why collectors want all the inserts, it helps prove legitimacy.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

8. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I just have to ask - I recently acquired one of these that is CLOSE to this. Mine reads:

P AL-33795-1B MCR
    P BL-33795-1B MCR

You think there is a great deal of difference? Is it worth trying to upgrade?

9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been discussed here ad infinitum - I've been been a Bruce disciple since this album came out, and I've always preferred the albums on vinyl, especially before the 2014 reissues. The original pressings of all the early albums through Tunnel of Love sound really good save for BTR and The River. The River is a hopelessly bad recording, and I'm happy to have the new vinyl instead. I was feeling the same about the recent BTR, but I put on side 2 tonight and it sounded overly bright and slightly artificial. Going back to an original pressing was like returning to an old friend, as flawed as this album was sonically. Now admittedly I've been purging reissues in my collection lately in favor of good originals, but this one surprised me. I did recently change phono amps, and the new one (Vincent Audio Pho-8) makes everything sound better, but perhaps I've developed an aversion to anything digital? I like the 2014 remastered BTR CD well enough, and I really wanted to like the LP.

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Get the Classic Records LP if you can find one -- I love mine! :agree:

11. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

All those reissues sound that way on my system

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Ah, finally that "Barry" mystery (to me) is solved. His name is in the deadwax of a Darkness on the Edge of Town issue LP. I couldn't find info on it, went back to get it anyway, but it was sold already. Was a bad week, let an olive/green label St. Dominic's Preview go because it was a record club edition, failed to grab an extra Tupelo Honey, the cover of which was in much better condition than the one I have, and didn't check the label/deadwax on an Exile on Main St. Some rookie mistakes lol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.