Beatles In LA 1973-74 discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yes, coming up inspired him to get back in the studio, I don't recall him ever dissing Paul at this time

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm not an anti Yoko person at all. In fact when it comes to her, her music, and her relationship with John, I'm fairly indifferent. Having said that...the scenario you laid out is really the ultimate control. I'll allow you this...but you shan't have that.

theMess likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While I don't know if I can agree 101%, I feel you're much more right than wrong.

4. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I've never seen a quote from John saying that. I've seen Paul quoted saying that, in Wikipedia. John's quote in Playboy was more mixed, that he liked "Coming Up" when he heard it but then heard another cut ("Waterfalls"?) and thought Paul sounded depressed. Nothing about pushing him to go make a record, which by spring of 1980 he was already doing. I've never seen a quote from John along the lines of Paul inspiring him to do much of anything by the time of their solo years. John does diss Paul pretty good in the Playboy interview, saying he had to tell Paul and Linda to stop coming around. It's less obvious than it was in the Wenner interview, and with so much of John's fire directed at George, but it's there.

Here's the Wiki entry.

Coming Up (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

There's no doubt that during his 'lost weekend' (actually a year and a half) John made a real effort to 'get back' to his old bandmates. It was during this time that he first saw Paul again, both hanging out at the beach house and in the recording studio. There's also a letter penned by John to George from late 1974 in which John says 'Isn't it about time we? I mean, it's getting $illy! Face to face would be nice … think of you often'. John is clearly reaching out to George after what appears to have been a tense time squabbling over money. He wants to make it up. He goes on to wish George luck with his Dark Horse tour. It's no coincidence that both these attempts by John to get back with his musical friends happened while he was away from Yoko. One may draw whatever conclusions one wants, but I don't know of any similar moves by John after he returned to the Dakota.

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I can't agree with this. It's like saying that the Beatles didn't want to record another record after Revolver because Revolver was so perfect they couldn't live up to the standard it set. Even more so after Sgt Pepper, or the White Album, and so on. The fact is that the Beatles music was always evolving. Each record was not better or worse than the one before, but always different. If the Beatles had reunited to record new songs in 1973 - 4, the one thing we can be sure of is that they would have sounded different from the Beatles of Abbey Road.

theMess likes this.
  7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John just said he wanted a call first, even said he didn't mean it badly. Most people would expect a call first.

Lennon: Please call before you come over. It's not 1956 and turning up at the door isn't the same anymore. You know, just give me a ring.' He was upset by that, but I didn't mean it badly.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    theMess likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nice, tight concise point. But too laconic. Could you possibly drastically expand on it?

:nauga:

fr in sc, drasil and Koabac like this.
  9. RockyRoll

RockyRoll Forum Resident

I vaguely recall Lennon saying he liked "Coming Up" but don't know if that inspired him. I think he was on vacation in Bermuda when he called up Yoko in New York telling her they are playing her style music in the clubs and radio (I believe it was the B52s) and the idea to go back in the studio grew from that.

10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If I am remembering this correctly, John was actually filmed in the studio saying that 'Coming Up' (the studio version especially) inspired him and that he really liked it. The footage is grainy, and the sound is almost ruined by loud noises coming from elsewhere in the studio (I saw them described as 'Star Wars' noises), but I am sure that John can be seen and heard chatting to an interviewer, and praising 'Coming Up'. He said that he understood why people wanted to hear Paul's voice on the live version, but that the studio version interested him more, because it was more experimental I suppose.

nikh33 likes this.
  11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I think Yoko would have eased up eventually however I do believe that even during the lost weekend she held a very strong sway over Lennon and this is one reason why an LA reunion never came to be. I'm sure business issues were also a factor. I think Yoko's eventual Beatle-friendly stance has more than a little to do with financial considerations.

I 100% agree.

That would have forced John to walk away from Yoko and I do not believe he could ever have done that. I get it. If my old band were offered a million dollars - each - to reunite but it required me to leave my wife, well.. that's a non-starter.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Perhaps it was the tone of his voice and delivery? John was not always the most tactful guy.

13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Never heard audio of it, don't think he was that bad to Paul in there, a few shots and also some praise. George got the brunt
    of any anger in that interview. I think he may have even been reaching out to Paul, basically saying it's OK to stop by, just call first. Paul said they were on good terms before he died.

theMess likes this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Oh, I get his frustration. He's entitled, no doubt. But, when he keeps on going, out comes his cynicism and sarcasm, and it doesn't work for him.

Slokes likes this.
  15. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Never understood the thing about Lennon being controlled by Yoko Ono. Maybe he was at home, what do I know.... she was the love of his life, but he is also one of the most independently minded artists in popular music ever.

drasil likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

How do you know that it's no coincidence?

17. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

I think he was reaching out, too, because, if I remember correctly, in the same interview he complained that Paul is too busy with his kids and his career and doesn't call him anymore.

Chuckee likes this.
  18. drasil

drasil Former Resident

it's kind of funny how some of the posts upthread argue that Yoko was controlling Lennon by putting words in his mouth and making his life decisions for him, but when presented with primary evidence to the contrary, the responses are 'he didn't know what he was talking about. we know what he really wanted.'

...actually, it's not funny at all.

czeskleba likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There's a certain irony in the fact that fans' evidence that Lennon was being controlled basically boils down to "he didn't do what I would have wanted him to do, therefore he must have been being controlled."

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Johnny Moondog I'm going to have to quit my job to keep up with all these fun threads you are throwing up.

21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Great post.

22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Wasn't George touring in 74'. That went well :cry:

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I don't know...I've read a few accounts of the Lost Weekend and the improving relationships between John and Paul. But I think "A Toot and A Snore" proves the point that the musical thrill was gone; refusing to sing any harmony, refusing to sing at all, really. I think they were still scared from the impact a full-blown collaboration would have. And the relation between George and Paul (and George and anything "Beatle") was getting worse and worse. They were recovering from being on top, getting down and divorcing. Sharing a reefer was the most they could do at this time.

BlueJay and fr in sc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.