The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Ive used this technique for nearly 10 years. I am a chemist by trade. I can confirm that it is a safe and reliable method.

Tommyboy, Sailfree and violetvinyl like this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Are you all using Titebond II?

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Yes, it's the recommended brand.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

I just did Side A of a really, really dirty LP I recently bought. Not much of an improvement thus far. I just have it a second application. Ive read that after 3 runs, it's not going to get any better. Any truth to this?

5. George Blair

Hmm. Did you clean off the dust and loose dirt before glueing? To really work you want the glue to get into the depths of the groove and pull up debris you wouldn't normally get with a brush. If you just glue on top of loose dust it's not ideal.

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I think a proper wet clean/vac BEFORE gluing is essential if you want the best chance for it to work .

arisinwind likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Yes, I ran the LP through the Spin Clean on 3 occasions, then played it, then washed it again. Sounded like bacon cooking through the entire LP. After the glue, sounded like bacon cooking in the next room over haha. I'm not giving up on it though. I'll give it a couple more runs with the glue.
    You guys usually wash it after the glue also?

8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Yeah I wash after, just to be sure. I havent done more than one run for an album though, not sure on the value of that . Maybe others with experience can chime in.

9. George Blair

Sounds like your record may be beyond repair. I think my own success may be due to just not bothering with semi-trashed records to begin with.

10. Vinyl Addict

That's just it, it LOOKS VG, almost VG+. It plays more like G.

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

You might have a bad pressing or someone played it with too much tracking force.

12. Vinyl Addict

I'm thinking the latter.

It's an orig s/t RATM album.
    I have another on its way here from Japan VG+/VG+.
    I'd love to restore this one though.
    Wish someone local had a VPI rcm, Id like to try that also.

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There's also the possibility that a bad needle was used, but heavy tracking force can do real damage when playing a dirty record, it grinds the groove with whatever dirt is riding in there.

The FRiNgE and violetvinyl like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Stay tuned, I did 2 sessions on side A, just started side B and waiting on the glue to dry. I'll do Side B twice too, wash the LP twice in the Spin Clean and see how this bitch sounds :D

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

3 times is the point of no return.

16. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

i successfully cleaned a lot dirty records with the wood glue method without any problems.

but in one of my latest attempts, a small piece of dried glued stuck to the run out groove after peeling. ( ca. 1cm in length)

unfortunately i did not notice it until i played the record today and was shocked to hear a loud, repeating noise when the stylus hit the run out groove.

i think it did not harm my stylus, but i would feel a lot better if someone hear would confirm that the dried glue could not get stuck onto the stylus during the maybe 3 or 4 rotations in the run out groove.

17. George Blair

The dry glue is not sticky, so I doubt it could adhere to a stylus. You could actually play the peeled part... Tho I wouldn't go that far!

seed_drill, shadowlord and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

You will be just fine. Have had this happen before. No problem. I changed my wood glue to Evo Stick. Always comes off in one carcass.

shadowlord likes this.
  19. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

have you tried Winyl?
    its works a treat.

20. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

If you can't remove the stray sliver by itself, gluing it again will pick it right up (the fresh glue thoroughly fuses to the old.)

shadowlord likes this.
  21. haystack17

haystack17 New Member

Funny.....reading through this thread and seeing responses from 2008 that claimed to be adamantly against wood glue for various reasons and now it's pretty clear it's a good method.

I've used it. I even use it on brand new records and get a better result from some records that were a little sloppy off the press.

I got a crate of records from my mother in law that sat in an attic for 30 years. Some of them were just done, but I had some that went from unlistenable (that's not a word) all the way to a glossy smooth perfect record. No pops even in the quiet sections. They didn't all get this much of a variance, but they all did get much much better.

I know titebond II is the way to go with this. There is a video out there of someone who warns everyone of this method, but when you read his comments, you realize he used Titebond III and admitted this was the problem.

DaverJ likes this.
  22. Thorensman

Not sure what the wood glue method is.
    I will look back at the start of thread
    I take it it is a substance thst sets and peels off.
    I have been buying Winyl from EBay
    Its a gel thst sets.
    Best method of record cleaning i have used.
    Prior to this , I was record with dishwasher( fairy, or DAwn in the states) this removes previous cleaners.
    I rinse well then towel dry.
    Once this is done i apply Winyl.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The wood glue method is the same as the Winyl method only you use wood glue instead of Winyl. In a nutshell :)

That Winyl product looks very similar to this product: RECORD REViRGiNiZER Vinyl Record Cleaner & Restorer - Home Page - »

I bought a bottle of that but haven't tried it yet. I tried tightbond II once but did not get good results. The glue left a film on the record and it caused audible noise issues. Not sure what I did wrong. But will try again on a junk record I have.

24. Thorensman

I will try it.
    The principle is sound.
    The solution sinks to the bottom of the groove.
    Sets, and subsequent removal lifts
    Out the muck .
    This type of cleaner i believe to be superior to record machines!!
    The problem always is to clean out
    The bottom of the groove,
    Its so small that many method actually
    Push muck to the bottom of the groove,
    Than you.
    Very interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.