So who has heard a Peachtree Nova 150?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

And soon to be released is the nova 300! At $2,299 it still comes under the Parasound Halo. Just saying.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have the original Cronos. It is a nice sounding amp. It is better sounding than their original Sphinx, I was told by a dealer who has both. Now, there are new models of both. Both have made improvements which should be audible, though I have not seen either of them.

I do think the Cronos, running in ultralinear mode is close to the sound of the M-150 monoblocks, running in UL mode, for half the price.

Don't be mislead, the Cronos is one nice amp, hand assembled inn the good old U.S. of A.

I did buy a used Decco 65, from eBay for $400! I was curious myself how class"D" would stock up against the Rogue M-150 monoblocks. I have to say, not bad, considering the Decco 65 was their first Decco product to go digital and the monoblocks are one of their higher end tube amplification products.

I have used their original Nova and now, currently use the iNova for the DAC, class A preamp and input selection. The outboard amps I use, both the Emotiva XPA-2 SS amp and the tube monoblocks are much better than the original A/B amps that Peachtree started with.

In a short time, Peachtree has moved three generations ahead of where they started in class D amplification.

While I have not heard the 220SE. I would tend to believe that the KT-120 tubes in the Cronos I or II, will still sound rounder and fuller than the Nova.

Rogue is different than some most companies, which offer tube amplification. Mark designs his products to be more affordable than the higher prices, their competition is commanding and still, their products are available through a dealer network. Where as Cary, has thrown in the towel, and decided to go Internet direct only.

The second thing about Rogue, is that Mark designs the Rogue amps to be very linear, more like how a SS amp would work out. They are not that more rounded tube sound that other amps go for. Rogue amps are linear, but not harsh. They have the slam without the edge.

I think, the Cronos, is their only tube amp which operates in the ultra linear mode only. That together with the higher power KT-120 tubes, will have a sound closer to SS, than their other tube offerings, low power or mid power ones in particular.

I find that tube amplification is most effective on high efficiency horn driven speakers, as compared to average tower speakers. You have a nice speakers, the kind that would derive some obvious benefit from tube amplification. The quality of your other components, also support the benefits of tube amplification.

I think that lphunter2, has provided credible insight into the audio prowless of the 220SE, when he compares it to his previous amp, the Primaluna Dialogue Two. When a class D amp can favorably compare to a mid powered tube amp, "without loosing much of that all to precious midrange" that is almost the ultimate complement. People value midrange in tube amps, over anything else.

I think, Rogue does manage to keep a lot of the midrange and provide bass slam at the same time. I bought an octet of EL-34 tubes, of new manufacture, but were designed to sound like English manufactured old Mullard's (close, but no cigar), but the were not expensive, and they did have a nice midrange. Since I have a couple of subs, including a commercial sub. I did not think I had any bass loss issues.

I run the tube pre-amp from the DAC, outs, then to the tube monoblocks, then to Altec A7's.

When I switched back to the KT88's, the bass got fuller and more natural sounding and the midrange was still present.

I did ask myself, yes, the EL34's did have nice mid's, but am I noticing it more, simply because there is a lot less bass and therefore, am I just feeling more of the midrange, because there is less bass and the midrange is just more noticeable? I tend to think, that is part if the magic of tubes, purporting to have exceptional midrange, that is not to say that they don't have nice midrange.

The Bass on the EL-34's was a natural sounding bass for acoustic instruments, but, you are not going to get the slam you need for the music you are listening to.

Your Cronos Mag II has an almost infinite amount of power for your needs. Most tube manufacturers, Rogue included, are considering the KT-120's to be their new goto tube.

There is a significant difference between lphunter2, when he compares it to his previous amp, the Primaluna to the 220SE and you. The Primalina sounds nice and polite, but it cannot come close to providing the deep bass slam and impact that your Cronos II already has.

In your case, you will have nothing to gain, than you already have with the Cronos Mag II. You have already made the correct decision, currently, real tubes still have a Sonic advantage. They will last a long time in the Cronos, correctly biased (don't keep screwing with small changes, the adjustment screws were not meant to stand up with continuous adjustments, keep them at 35ma-40-ma and you will be OK). Check them every 6-months or so after they settle in.

If you did not already have your Cronos, then, would it be worth the extra $1,500 over the refurb unit that theron d bought for <$1K? Good question?

What I would do in that case, would to buy the 220SE for a grand. Then I would buy a used Rogue Stereo 88 or Stereo 90 power amplifier off of eBay and run it from the preamp outputs of the 220SE. I would have about $2K or less invested in that solution, and the best of both worlds.

That is really how I am using the Peachtree right now.

While both Peachtree and Emotiva offer refurbished/factory refreshed units, with same warranty as when bought new, Rogue builds all of the products to order, so there is no "B" stock available. Pre-owned is the only alternative available (and it is not a bad alternative).

BTW, I did purchase a used Stereo 90 off of eBay earlier this year for $900. Unit is in perfect condition and has NOS signal tubes and Gold Lion KT-88's. I'm very happy with the sound of the amp. It will allow me to burn KT-88 tubes at half the rate as having an octet to replace in the monoblocks.

I bet you already 2-3 times the power output that you require, right now.

I do, somehow get the impression that lphunter2, has had some other issues with tubes and his Primaluna (and that is OK). Most people who own those amps, love them. They bought them for a reason.

Enjoy your Harbeth's! (I wish I had a pair!, someday, perhaps?).

S&G

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    theron d likes this.
  3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thank for your detailed insight. Id still like to hear what the Peachtree Nova 220SE would sound like driving my harbrths, but as you hinted the Rogue Cronus + Harbeth combo is a winner. I was looking for a SS backup amp. Have it narrowed down to Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp and Peachtree Nova 220 SE. And yes in no way am I getting rid of the CMII.

4. SandAndGlass

Excellent, never hurts to have a back up amp(s).

My processor is important to my system because my Chromecast goes through one of the HDMI inputs. he Nova's could benefit from a HDMI input for Blu-ray sound and to run SACD through the DAC in the Peachtree.

I also power a commercial sub with a Crown digital amp where the channels are bridged into a 950-watt mono output for the sub. It sits in a 19" metal rack behind the TV. I split the Peachtree preamp outs three ways, and one of the goes into the processor and is directed to the LFE out to the sub. This way, I can adjust the sub level by using the processor remote, when playing 2-channel sources.

I have two processors that are down, substantial electric problems on the Beach where I live. Have added secondary protection and bought two more used processors from eBay. I have to send the first two units back to Emotiva for repair this week. My iNova, replaced my original Nova, which has one channel out. I have to send it back to Peachtree this week also.

I don't have any experience with the other amp you are looking at, nor the 220SE in specific. I will assume that it has more and better technology that my current equipment. On that basis, I give it a thumb's up!

I am sure that you will make the amp selection that best fits your needs!

theron d likes this.
  5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I've been auditioning a Peachtree Nova 220SE with my Harbeth 7es3. Mostly vinyl through a EAR834p for almost one week. Overall my thoughts are it's excellent sounding. Very "large" and powerful. Detailed and lets one look into the recording without fatigue or glare (which I'm very sensitve too). Such control of lower frequencies. The EAR834P is known to have a beautiful/lush midrange. For me its a perfect match. No fatique, just large majestic sounding music. I think my Cronus MagII wins in the midrange department but its close. These two integrated amps compliment each other. Tube 100w push pull vs SS 220W (class A pre/class D power).

Overall Id give a big thumbs up for the peachtree! Its just "musical" and you just want to keep reaching for more lps!

IMO the engineers at Peachtree are hitting the mark with Class D design..

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

Go Peachtree...

I have been using their products for years. Not that it was bad, a better description of the A/B amplification on their original Nova and iNova's, would be ordinary. I use my iNova for it's DAC, preamp and input selector functions. I bypass the power amp sections and use the preamp out for my front mains, rear and sub woofer, these are routed through other SS amps. The line out, goes through a tube preamp, and into Rogue monoblocks. Sometimes, I will have it connected to the Cronos Magnum.

I did buy a used Decco65, as I was curious to see their class "D" implementation. This was their first effort. They are three and four generations down the line with their class "D" product development. I don't do well with glare or anything harsh that sets in listening fatigue. With your EAR, you have a system will excellent synergy going. It should be honest and reveling.

One day, I hope to come across a deal on an EAR. I was thinking, I would like to pair the EAR with a Grade Sonata. The Sonata is a nice cartridge for vocals. In the absence of an EAR, I would pair it with a nice preamp like the Vincent 6SN7 Phono Stage, which, I hope will be one of my next purchases.

I bought the Cronos, mainly as a back-up to the monoblocks. Right now, I have the Decco65 hooked up to the 6SN7 based preamp, the combination of which, is driving the A7's, normally driven by the monoblocks. I have to agree with your assessment, that they have done well with their implementation of class "D" technology.

Considering, that the Decco65 (their first digital effort), is sitting in for monoblock tube amplifiers, that are many times more expensive. That says a lot about Peachtree's developing technologies. Even companies, who have their roots firmly rooted in tube technology, has become highly successful with class "D" themselves.

Anyone looking to get into two channel stereo at a low price point, should consider looking into the Peachtree eBay store for factory refurbished products. Their refurbished class "D" integrated amps can be purchased for around $600. For that, you get a Saber DAC, a class "A" preamp, an input selector with digital and analog inputs, a class "A" headphone amplifier, remote and a powerful digital power amp.

DonnyMe and theron d like this.
  7. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident

Any update on the new Nova / Halo shootout? Would love to learn more. Still can't find any substantial reviews on the 150. Also haven't seen any feedback regarding the phono amp.

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

We listened to the Peachtree recently. It seemed quite nice, though it's hardly definitive to listen to something in an unfamiliar environment over speakers you haven't heard. My friend was shopping primarily for speakers, and since his ancient receiver is intermittent, was interested in amplification. HOWEVER, let me say this: in my opinion before you spend so much on amplification, the money should be spent on really really good speakers first. I told him I felt it was misplaced to spend more on the amp than on speakers...the upshot of all that is I think he will buy active speakers. Also the Peachtree has a sub output, but I wonder if there is actually a setting that highpasses the internal amp??? If not, that is a wasted opportunity, and would leave the sub just adding bass without reducing the load on the amp or main speakers-NOT the way it should be, though unfortunately often the case.

9. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

I don't have much experience in audio, but picked up a nova 65 se this year and so far I love it!
    I will be ordering the 150 soon and using the 65 in the study.

DonnyMe and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm tempted to try a Nova 150 in my office system. We shall see.

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I brought one home a week or so ago for a demo and bought it. I had a Decco65 and there is just no comparison. I absolutely love this package. Everything just works really well. DAC is excellent, headphone amp is outstanding, has a tape loop for my Korg recorder. I just have not found a flaw, other than the gain on the phono stage is a bit low for my BPS3. I haven't tried it with the 2M Black or MP-500.

I had about decided to jump off the $1000 headphone cliff as I was disappointed in my HD700's but after listening with the Nova, I love them.

Note to every other maker that envisions making a modern integrated: look at the feature set on this! This should be the model!!! I don't need a dozen analog inputs. two work fine - one can be either line or MM phono, the other can be line or unity pass-through. Add a full complement of digital inputs connected to an excellent DAC, a real tape loop, preamp out, trigger out (amazing how many pre/power amps don't have one), and even an IR blaster input. The remote even controls your iOS device when plugged in with USB.

I am also so glad my local dealer got one for me to try before I bought the SimAudio ACE. I just don't see that box being $2000 better for my needs. Whatever Peachtree did to create Ver 2.0 is certainly working for me.

[​IMG]

Gerry Todd, DonnyMe and Gumboo like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Dumb question here, but I can't find anything detailed about this. There's a button that says "USB 2.0 (In)" and "USB 1.0 (Out)". Does that mean it can output audio via USB? (I.e. be used to do needledrops onto my laptop without needing yet another device?) I'm looking to move past my PhonoBox for this purpose, but man, if I could do all the things in one unit, that would basically seal the deal for me on one of these.

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It looks to me like a switch that selects between USB versions 1.0 and 2.0 for the input.

14. walrus

Ohhhhhh. Derp. That makes sense. Never really thought about that, since I thought USB devices generally auto-adjust to USB version. (I still have decade-plus old USB devices that still work fine with my newer Macs) I'm an idiot. I think I just really wanted to believe that I could get a digital out of this somehow.

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I might be wrong. I don't know why people would want that feature, though maybe it's something to do with compatibility of older DACs?

16. walrus

Who knows. Just bummed it's one output short of being a near-perfect device.

17. BayouTiger

Good news is that it does have a loop out so you can easily connect it to your PC or whatever else you are recording with. I haven't tried it with my Korg recorder yet, but I don't anticipate any issues.

18. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

If anything, the PT 150 looks like a fantastic pre amp for the money. I'm now thinking of a 150 and Finding a speaker a/b switch so I can have my current amp as an option as well. Plus, a way to compare another dedicated amp in the future. I may feel that the 150 is all I need anyway. I really don't need the 300 since my speakers (zu omen defs) are super efficient.

19. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Have the 125 SE and really like it a lot, but this seems like it could be a real jump up from that... anyone seen any comparisons between the 125SE and 2.0 150?

20. BayouTiger

I had the Decco65 and the new amp is not at all like it. The Decco was fatiguing after awhile, but the 150 is buttery smooth. the surprising thing is that it reminded me a lot of the Rogue Pharaoh, but with much better detail and top end. That's probably not the due to the Pharaoh, but more because I think the Nova's DAC is better than the Cambridge DACmagic I had connected when I demoed the Rogue.

It also reminds me of my D3020 but with a lot more oomph! and that's a very good thing!

Can't really comment on the 125SE specifically, but I didn't think there was that much difference between the second and third generations of PT amps. They are calling the new stuff Peachtree 2.0, but it's really their fourth generation of amps if you consider the first AB deco, then the 65, then the SE's and now the 150/300

21. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I'm tempted to pull the trigger. I'll have to see what Nova Pres are going for used and try to sell mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.