Rega RB250 (251, 202, 100, 101) "cheapskate" end stub mod.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fxsuperglide, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxsuperglide

fxsuperglide Active Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi All
    I recently finished building a homemade turntable from surplus Linn, Thorens and Rega parts.

On the Rega subject, I had acquired 2 of the P1 tonearms, known as RB100 (different from the later RB101 from the RP1). REGArdless of the differences, I decided to modify the convenient adjustable counterweight's endstub, in the Origin Live fashion, so as to avoid spending big bucks on a bare budget build. "How'd I do it?", you ask. After an initial failed "trial and error" on a surplus endstub, I succeeded on other attempts. I made the pieces from existing parts. Endstub was carefully drilled out and reinforced with a steel sleeve, (automotive brake line with flared part at end), snug fit, epoxied in to prevent "compression crush" when tightening the sleeved endstub. I "nipped" the plastic threads off but left just enough as a guide to keep it aligned when tightened. The M12×1.0 steel insert was from a brake caliper banjo bolt (VW type), which I pre-tapped the inner hole to 4mm BEFORE cutting the threaded piece I needed from the main banjo bolt (made 2 inserts from 1 bolt). Then after the required fine trimming, everything was ready to install. Also, due to the already excessive weight of the counterweight for the P1's lighter arm, plus slight added mass of mod parts, I drilled material from the counterweight to lighten it. It still adjusts exactly as it should, with no chance of the endstub loosening or breaking too easily. The arm even seems to perform quite well, too (I wish I had the means to compare it to other modifications but to me it sounds excellent the way it is, even for a budget mod).

Donniej likes this.
  2. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Sounds neat, but I can't see the photos.

3. fxsuperglide

4. fxsuperglide

[​IMG] Sorry, here's another try at the photos as seen above, they seem to have worked this time.....and 1 more.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.