"Nobody" opening acts you saw open for major artists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by broccolid, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Yeah...I was "lucky enough" to catch Private Life open for them.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I saw the J. Geils Band open for Black Sabbath at the Fillmore East in 1971. Peter Wolf and the Geils band tore the house down. When Sabbath had to follow that, Ozzie had such a terrible case of stage fright that he played the entire show with his back to the audience. Can you imagine? He'd turn around to face the crowd for maybe two seconds after each song, to say, "Thank you, Black Sabbath!".
    I was also in the 3rd row orchestra, right in front of the P.A., and my ears rang for three days afterwards.

3. Synthfreek

So J. Geils never gained success after opening for Sabbath? Could've fooled me.

Get ready for another trainwreck thread y'all.

4. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

The Fourth Floor opened for Kiss when I saw them in 1996 on their reunion tour. I didn't even remember that there was an opening act until I just looked the show up.

5. brucifer1225

brucifer1225 Well-Known Member

Kiss as the opening act for Savoy Brown at St Martin's College, Olympia Washington. I think it was 1973, Kiss wasn't in make up yet.

6. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Autograph opening for Van Halen on the 1984 tour. Man, they were bad.
    Then there was Bonham opening for The Cult on the Electric tour in '87. I think they sucked but the sound was so horrendous it's hard to know whether to blame the band.

7. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Gee, sorry everyone, forgive me, I misinterpreted the thread title. Who cares about a nobody act that are still nobodies?
    My wife saw KISS open for Springsteen at Madison Square Garden. Her friend commented, "These guys are never going to make it." Do they count?

I've seen lots of "nobody" acts. Am I supposed to remember them now? I did see a band called "Fat Mattress" open for Jimi Hendrix. I think the bass player's name was Reddding.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If this thread were a literacy test.....

Cassiel, Suncola, drasil and 8 others like this.
  10. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

There was this British boy band type of group called I.C. Eyes that opened up for Tina Turner and Joe Cocker at a stadium show I attended in 1987 but I don't remember much else about them. If they made it big it passed me by.

11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I saw a band called the Fools open for Van Halen on the Fair Warning tour. They were doing kind of a new wave-ish/ power-pop sort of thing, and they weren't a great match for VH. I thought they sucked. But it turns out fourteen year old me just didn't get them and they were really a pretty great band.

They were actually really big in New England for a long time, but I think they count because they are fairly unknown elsewhere. Amazingly enough, they are still around today.

12. Synthfreek

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Vintage Trouble has opened for Bon Jovi, the Dave Matthews Band, the Who and ACDC. I've become a pretty big fan. And I see them every chance I get. But they play venues hardly larger than a phone booth when they headline. Know what? Good for me.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Hey, at least my nominee The Electric Guitars has only one CD on Amazon, and that only has two reviews - one apparently written by one of the groups family members with a five star rating, the other from somebody complaining that it was apparently sourced from vinyl and cassette with a one star rating.

15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Title of thread has "nobody" in quotation marks. My own interpretation of that is people who were "nobody" then who became something.

As someone posted earlier, who's going to remember the acts of "nobodies" who remained "nobodies"?

I don't really have a good answer to this question. The closest I can think of is Kasey Chambers; she was unknown to me at the time but I was ignorant --- this was after "The Captain" so I think it doesn't count.

wwaldmanfan and Golden Richards like this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Interesting. I went by the charts. At least in the U.S., they didn't seem to ever really take off.

17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Not precisely an opening act, but when I saw They Might Be Giants at Mountain Stage in 2008, one of the preceding acts was a singer songwriter named Matt White. Some women in front of us came specifically for him, wore his t-shirts and screamed for him between songs. Host Larry Groce acted like he would be the next big thing, but I've heard nothing from him since. I looked him up and according to Wikipedia he's still out there recording and playing shows.

18. Synthfreek

19. noname74

Screw that...I wanna tell you about the time I saw Florida Georgia Line before they got popular!!!

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

These would be the band names I blew off, while looking through scrapbooks from over 40 years ago, for the other thread.

1. No.
    2. How in the ph$5K do you guys remember such useless crap ???

21. noname74

Yep it was Earle...I saw that tour as well.

22. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

How about The Elvis Brothers opening for King Crimson in 1984?

23. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

The two most glaring examples I can think of would be: 1) Duke Jupiter, opening for Blue Öyster Cult in '83, and 2) Book of Love, opening for Depeche Mode in the mid-'80s. You might quibble with the latter being a true nobody band, but anyway, those two sprang to mind.
    :-popcorn:

jwoverho likes this.
  24. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

At one point every concert I went to in Melbourne seemed to have local band Snout opening for them.
    Off the top of my head they opened for Ben Folds Five and Ash plus a couple of larger Aussie bands.
    I really liked Snout and have their CDs but I think they folded around 2000 or so without taking off.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Here in Nashville, in the 70s, you would insert the name REO ****tttwagon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.