New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

Great to know. I will pull the trigger for The Wall 2016 pressing.

2. There's no shortage of threads here on this topic.

3. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

I use the MOFI for all my cardboard inners as they slide nicely inside. I've done that with this new Wall and my old Animals

4. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

Have not the time to read every post in this thread, but thought to make a comment.
    I think one has to be careful about "Remastered" re-issue's.
    A couple of years ago, in a music store, I decided (on impulse) to replace my original '79 copy of The Wall.
    The store was displaying New, sealed, 180 gram vinyl re-mastered, 2012. It was made in Great Britain Harvest/EMI label, packaged like an original. I had already decided it was going to be great before I got home.
    At home and put it on.
    After about 1 minute (maybe less) I started to frown, I raised the arm and went to another track, after another minute, I took it off and put my old original back on.
    It was definately better. The new one sounded flat and empty. I stuck to my original from then on.

richbdd01 likes this.
  5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

So first listen. The Wall.
    Compared to an original pressing , this seems to have more bass in the drums, I don't think the kick drums hits as hard/loud in the original pressing. Bottom end impact the biggest difference for me. It sounds great. Think I probably prefer the early TML pressing to be honest, but not by a lot. This album would sound sonically good on a bit of string and a jam tin.

RedRaider99 and Pancat like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sonically, the original The Wall is going to be hard to beat. I guess the new one may be a neat thing simply because the album has finally been reissued, but I cant imagine it sounding the best. Still, its an album that has that big fat soundstage anyway; and like DSOTM its hard to get a bad sounding version of The Wall.

If I didnt have one Id still be looking for an original. They cant be that difficult to find with proper stampers and in great shape. Then again, its been 20 yrs since I bought my last copy from Canada. Still the best sounding version Ive ever heard.

7. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

If one has *already* (key point) got a great sounding original, I honestly don't see any reason for always buying into the remasters game, for the sake of a slightly audible change. You'd likely get more of a notceable change (if that's what you're looking for, and if not, why buy) with a tone control or altering the position of one's speakers! Wish I had money to burn like this, though then I'd rather buy something I haven't already bought multiple times before ;)

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Cool story.

9. Krzysztof Maj

Krzysztof Maj Forum Resident

I do not have The Wall currently - should I go for 2016 release of try hard to find the original in EX condition in your opinion?

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wont be after all the hassle ive had with mofi sleeves recently...

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I would largely agree. Although, i think Bernie Grundman is capable of doing some fantastic work from a digital source. I was sceptical at first...until i saw he was doing them. I picked up 'Saucerful...' and it sounds pretty great.

I also bought the Wall (2012) and Dark side (2011) and got rid of them...they sounded flat and lifeless to me aswell and seemed to have a narrow soundstage. The soundstage is the dead giveway usually...very narrow with some digital cuts. Bernie Grundman, for the most part, seems to overcome this. I will buy a handful of these reissues but will be selective. I do think they will all be pretty decent.

Pancat and Hattipper like this.
  12. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

....and then before you know it you will have purchased them all :D

13. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Essentially this:

[​IMG]

I don't think one can hear a huge difference between analogue and hi-res, WHEN mastered and cut properly.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

My opinion is go for a clean original, preferably uk or german. As I mentioned earlier the bass is a bit heavy on this one and my German copy has slightly more life.

15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Indeed. However, in the past year, I have been to six record stores, some multiple times, in four states and I never seen ANY used Pink Floyd. I suppose I could brave discogs or Amazon and trust that a NM- is really so and then pay the not reasonable price, but I'd really rather buy a reissue. I am asking my local record store to set aside DSOTM, The Wall, Animals and Meddle.

I can never have too much DSOTM.

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Amazon still does not have a shipping date for The Wall which I ordered weeks ago.

Hattipper likes this.
  17. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

I went through that too, just cancelled and ordered from Bullmoose. Same price, shipped immediately.

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just got notification that my The Wall is shipping from Amazon Canada. They have 1 left in stock and 10 copies of TDB.

To be honest my go to for The Wall has always been the original Canadian CD that IMO sounds incredible. So I'm hoping this 2016 LP will be somewhat of an upgrade.

c-eling likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The hype stickers generally don't peel off. I've taken to cutting them out of the shrink wrap and then storing them in the sleeve. Don't know if I'll persist though - they fall out and it's kinda annoying.

On my Led Zeppelin IV Deluxe Edition LP, I was able to peel off the back sticker that has the album tracklist on it and apply it to the outer sleeve I store the LP in, but I ended up removing it because it looked awful. I couldn't get the sticker applied without air bubbles and I finally just decided it looked ridiculous and I removed and discarded it.

I don't think the hype stickers are quite on the level of OBI's yet - it seems to me that the OBI's are designed to be retained but hype stickers aren't.

20. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I've had pretty good luck on discogs

21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This is a high level view of the sampling concept. Once the digital file is filtered back to analog domain and sent to your speakers, the sine wave has been restored to its quasi original shape.

I am neither a pro-analog or pro-digital
    apostle. Both technlogies has pros and cons.

22. Domnation

Domnation Member

23. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

True dat... "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused" - Roger Waters

Craig Williams and hi_watt like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Kind of why I'm holding off Geoff, I feel the same way about my US pre-emphasis disc, not sure if I want to dump 40 bucks on a sideways move

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Vinyl Fan 1973 and James Bennett like this.
  25. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yeah that whole stairstep analogy for digital audio is easily debunked by anyone who actually takes the time to read about it. The steps are frequently used by marketing types to sell products but it bears no resemblance to reality. Otherwise, all digital audio would sound terrible. As anyone who's heard a properly mastered CD by our host or several others can attest, CDs can sound quite nice.