Pink Floyd Wish you Were Here Quadraphonic Mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Solace, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Those funky low notes, yes I know them. It is odd that section is gone now.

But there is that last section of recorded tape (SOYCD) erroneously pasted onto the end of the quad master that was not new fresh material, right, or course you agree.

2. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

In the DTS-CD transfer that I have the channels are indeed reversed.

quicksrt likes this.
  3. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Was that at the beginning of part 8? In the Immersion, in stereo the beginning of part 8 is twice as long in stereo and 5.1 as in quad.

As for this point:
    I find it odd that it was not on the quad master used for the Immersion set.

Maybe that source tape was damaged on the spot, so they had to cut it out, and they couldn't get an alternate source without the damage.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

not sure we got a quad in the UK would love to see one if somebody has a UK copy.

5. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

UPD

OK, I re-listened to that bootleg from Q8 tape and I found what's missing in the Immersion quad mastering. However, in the original stereo that section is missing as well. Maybe they just decided to edit quad according to stereo,or maybe it just seemed a superfluous part to them.

6. SergioPlayboy

SergioPlayboy Forum Resident

I've been saying for decades that the quad mix is the one. It sounds more spacious and opened up to me. So glad it made it out on DVD-A (SACD too), and in hi-res.

The US SQ quad LP is said to have rear and front channels reversed, if that is true, it made it sound really cool when played back in stereo.

As far as I know, the quad mix isn't on Analogue Productions SACD, only the 5.1 one.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The quad mix is not on the WYWH APO SACD. Just stereo and 5.1 mixes. Are there any SACDs out there with a 5.1 and a quad mix? I tend to doubt it.

Bill

8. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Am just listening to the quad mix for the first time. If I used emoticons, I'd use the jaw-drop one. Have known this album intimately for three decades, but never heard it sound like this! What an absolute marvel. I love it!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Ok... Where can I hear the quad mix in good old two channel audio (if you know what I mean). I have no fancy surround sound or multi speaker capability and also no capacity for the WYWH immersion box. Are UK or US quad LPs obtainable without selling a vital organ..? Is it on CD anywhere?

10. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

depends on what you mean by arm or leg, but you probably would have to pay 100 dollars or more for a nice UK pressing...ps just realised you are in UK too so 80 to 150 quid i reckon....you do not see them much but they are out there.

11. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

what are some of the biggest moments of quad on it. eg on the quad dark side ive heard, any color you like is really the big standout quad piece......

12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Quad mix of Wish is quite stunning. Lots of extra elements- the intro to Welcome To The Machine is slightly longer, with extra bass synth notes along with the whooshing noises on the intro.

Title track has a pedal steel-type lead guitar throughout that isn't on the stereo.

Have A Cigar has a couple extra bars of solo at the end, and some funky rhythm guitar playing that's either buried in the stereo mix or not there.

Vocal separation throughout is great, especially on the first Shine On. That song also has some extra guitar that's really noticeable.

albertop, chewy and oneway23 like this.
  13. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

14. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Just to clarify on Part 8 (The Funk Part).... It was originally 5 and a half minutes long that was edited to 2 and a half. The unedited part (heard on the Wish You Were Here extraction bootlegs) contained a Wurlitzer Electric Piano (opposed to a Fender Rhodes which ended up on the record) Part of Gilmour's funk guitar got reinserted into the SACD mix (just before the edit to Rick's Clavinet (the funky low notes)/ Synth solo begins. The extraction tapes of Shine On are amazing, especially this part. It shows 2 things; 1) the Floyd funking out 'Careful With That Axe, Eugine" style, and how crafty their editing skills are when choosing the right edits for the record.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  15. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

To be noticeably surprised by an album you’ve heard over a hundred times is priceless. That’s what this mix does. It’s by no means superior to the stereo mix -- and now I understand that I'm actually listening to the rear channels, but man is it fun to listen to! The new bits you hear are fascinating and I t takes no more than fifteen seconds into the album before you discover that it’s going to be a whole new experience.

The transitions between every song is slightly and sometimes significantly different. It's a hoot. Highly recommended.

muffmasterh likes this.
  16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I get the same from DSOTM quad mix. Its a hoot. Never understand why it gets bagged.

muffmasterh likes this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think the quad mix takes a great album, and gives it a push to yet another level. Quad mix is better weather listened to in stereo or 4-channel.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, on SQ LP discs and on TC-8 Quad 8 track cartridges (the latter discrete and better than the LP on good players).

19. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

I just revisited the quad recently on the blu-ray. It is definitely my favorite version to listen to.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There isn't a DVD-A in the WYWH Immersion set. There's a DVD-V and Blu-ray that both have the quad mix. I just listened to the Blu-ray and the quad mix is definitely my favorite when compared to the 5.1 mix. It's worth getting the DSOTM and WYWH Immersion sets just to have the quad mixes on Blu-ray in hi-res :)!

boggs, Hattipper and kevywevy like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3 years later, same answer.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes correct. I should have stated that there is an Audio DVD with that vintage quad mix. Agreed it is the best.

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cool :). Have you compared the DVD-A to the Blu-ray? Just curious as to if they sound the same or similar as the DVD-A wasn't an official release.

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

They definitely don't sound the same. The Blu-ray has less tape noise. The DVD-AUDIO is more analog sounding in comparison. I like the cleaner sounding Blu-ray but a remaster like the Doors Best of quad would be welcomed.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Good God!
    Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album, and I have had the quad mix for months, and I’ve never listened to it.
    That will change this weekend.

tedhead and Sigma6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.